Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In one of the very last parts, it said something like show that it increases with time and mine was decreasing :(

I think I now know why though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ms.tinx

Im gonna have 2 get like an A in paper 2 to make up for this crappy exam... anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Was the third root in q2
    3/2 or something like that ... Can't remember exactly what I got . Could be plus or minus

Yeah I got that, think it was + but not sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

The marking scheme for last year's paper deducted one mark for people saying 8915 years when the required two significant figures (8900) so I imagine it would be the same this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Yeah I got that, think it was + but not sure :pac:

53 degrees for angle using cosine rule ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Ehh ok paper, sequences and series was tough i thought. Our examiner started 4 mins late and finished at 4:30 its bull**** tbh i know its only 4 mins but so much can be done then

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

ms.tinx wrote: »
    Im gonna have 2 get like an A in paper 2 to make up for this crappy exam... anyone else in the same boat?

Yes me too. I'm gutted.

I used the tan theta with slopes formula but yeah 53°

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Was the third root in q2
    3/2 or something like that ... Can't remember exactly what I got . Could be plus or minus

Yep that's what I got!

And I got 53 for the angle between the lines? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

I got 53 degrees by finding the slopes of the lines and using a formula in the log tables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Did anybody get the question with the rectangle? It something was like PB^2+PA^2+PC^2 = 3x^2....., I got two of the sides but there was one I couldn't figure out one because it wasn't a in a right angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

So in light of this paper, what do we need to know for paper 2? Anything that comes up on both papers that wasnt tested here ...?

I nearly missed the last question on the first page asking to draw the graph of the line :pac: saw it with like 30 seconds left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Geog paper just gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

I got 53 degrees by finding the slopes of the lines and using a formula in the log tables.

I did that as well, got the same answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

Some answers I got:
    53 degrees on Q2
    1 for average value
    2 for a on Q6
    4 for k on Q7
    240 for the area on Q8
    77 for a on Q9, -.0339 for k I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

guys, the geography paper has just been uploaded, hopefully that means maths is next.

siobhaanx wrote: »
    Did anybody get the question with the rectangle? It something was like PB^2+PA^2+PC^2 = 3x^2....., I got two of the sides but there was one I couldn't figure out one because it wasn't a in a right angle?

You had to make 3 right angle triangles, one had sides 2 and x, 2 and 7-x and then 2 and 5-x I think off the top of my head.

its up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

So I finally decided to make this account cause fXxxxx that maths paper didn't even cover the dynamics of paper 1 fully. I thought questions 1/2/3 were pretty easy however it went downhill after that for me. I knew series and sequences well but only quadratic, cubic and geometric. And weren't part 1 and part 2 of the series and sequences question pretty much the same? I also was severely caught on question 8, the one with that weird parabola or whatever it was. How did ye get D and E? I think I got the answer but I am not sure. I thought the last question was though.

Overall, I feel sceptic about this paper. I am a B1-A2 student and I think I barely passed this paper. :"( I am not upset but genuinely angry with the chief examiner or whoever he is. LOL.

Can we start talking about paper 2 and what we need to revise? I am too caught up with not seeing Area and Volume and Financial Maths in todays paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

siobhaanx wrote: »

Yeah I didn't know how to get that last side :/

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

scallway wrote: »
    Some answers I got:
    53 degrees on Q2
    1 for average value
    2 for a on Q6
    4 for k on Q7
    240 for the area on Q8
    77 for a on Q9, -.0339 for k I think!

53 degrees on Q2
    240 for the area on Q8
    77 for a on Q9, -.0339 for k
    I remember those, i got the same :) But I can't remember other questions you wrote :D

I did everything except Q2 a) and Q8 last two parts, I think it was completing the square but I couldn't do it the last few minutes :/ anyone got those?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    In one of the very last parts, it said something like show that it increases with time and mine was decreasing :(

I think I now know why though..

Mine was too; any idea where you made the mistake as I seem to have done the same thing and I'm not sure why (I specified why I thought it was decreasing on the paper, but I'm unsure)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

ms.tinx wrote: »

Yes I need an A in paper 2 now to not fail my leaving cert.

And I wasn't even worried about maths at all haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I nearly missed the last question on the first page asking to draw the graph of the line :pac: saw it with like 30 seconds left

Good thing it was only a line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Did people get D as (10,5) and E as (38,5)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

How.. what is that thing that is under q6? I swear I've never seen that kind of question ever before in my life.

is the answer, you just substitute n into 1,2,3 and that's it? That's what I did atleast.

Did people get D as (10,5) and E as (38,5)
    yup

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

So I finally decided to make this account cause fXxxxx that maths paper didn't even cover the dynamics of paper 1 fully. I thought questions 1/2/3 were pretty easy however it went downhill after that for me. I knew series and sequences well but only quadratic, cubic and geometric. And weren't part 1 and part 2 of the series and sequences question pretty much the same? I also fly severely caught in question 8, the one with that weird parabola or whatever it was. How did ye get D and E? I think I got the answer but I am not sure. I thought the last question was lovely.

Overall, I feel sceptic about this paper. I am a B1-A2 student and I think I barely passed this paper. :"( I am not upset but genuinely angry with the chief examiner or whoever he is. LOL.

I put the equation equal to 5 and solved for x to get D and E.
    As long as you wrote down everything you could you'll be fine. You probably did far better than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

aleatorio wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't know how to get that last side :/

I'm presuming you missed the PB^2.

That was tricky, you had to draw a vertical line from B (I think it was B and that created the third right angled triangle which allowed you to work out the length of the side.

Advertisement