Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

For Q1(a) - did anyone just sub in all the roots.....? I have a feeling that doing that was wrong :/

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

Paper is up on the website there now. I really must say I'm disappointed in how I done on it needed those bonus points and now it looks like Im not going to get anything :/ examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/LC003ALP130EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Kyro wrote: »
    Yes I need an A in paper 2 now to not fail my leaving cert.

And I wasn't even worried about maths at all haha

Same here. I normally really love paper one but today was a bit unexpected. I suppose, I was looking for a paper which covered loads of topics. Hopefully paper 2 will go well for all of us. :) *don't loose hope*

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Kyro wrote: »
    Yes I need an A in paper 2 now to not fail my leaving cert.

And I wasn't even worried about maths at all haha

So unfair that last year's paper was like a Junior Cert paper compared to 2011, 2012 and this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

Did people get D as (10,5) and E as (38,5)

I did after rounding to the nearest whole number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

romanita wrote: »
    For Q1(a) - did anyone just sub in all the roots.....? I have a feeling that doing that was wrong :/

No you use the roots to get factors

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    No you use the roots to get factors

****... Definitely feeling like a right twat now lol

You know for the sequence question.
    To get the odd number formula
    I subtracted the the formula for all the even numbered natural numbers from the formula for all the natural numbers . Is that right

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Was the pythagorean triple as easy as it looked? For the second part I just squared put the values they gave you for a,b and c into pyhthagerous theorem and then multiplied it out and one side was equal another, feel like that wasn't enough for the amount of space that was left?

I put the equation equal to 5 and solved for x to get D and E.
    As long as you wrote down everything you could you'll be fine. You probably did far better than you think.

Hopefully. *fingers crossed* I need to ace my French paper because of the mess I made of this paper. :"( *looks like I won't be counting maths for my points.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

siobhaanx wrote: »
    Was the pythagorean triple as easy as it looked? For the second part I just squared put the values they gave you for a,b and c into pyhthagerous theorem and then multiplied it out and one side was equal another, feel like that wasn't enough for the amount of space that was left?

Yeah that was all it was I think

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

K6Y wrote: »
    So unfair that last year's paper was like a Junior Cert paper compared to 2011, 2012 and this one.

I felt it was very unbalanced like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

I done that for 3 values of N and left it at that but tbh i dont think its enough I just chanced my arm....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Didn't see to round to nearest whole number for the coordinates on that bridge question :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I did this too, hoping that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Such a horrific paper Q8 was just ridiculous, the sequences and series question I found so tricky! Mise as well not have studied differentiation for the amount of it that came up!Overall I won't be getting a B3 anymore (

I subtracted the the formula for all the even numbered natural numbers from the formula for all the natural numbers . Is that right

yup that's how I did it to. :)

yup that's how I did it to. :)

Few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I got D(11,5) and E(41,5), I must be wrong given consensus here, however. I'm extremely prone to blunders/slips. I even make them in a stress free environment. Will probably cost me a grade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

aleatorio wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't know how to get that last side :/

Z3BSLJh.jpg
    This is how I've done it

• Advertisement

I done that for 3 values of N and left it at that but tbh i dont think its enough I just chanced my arm....

Yeah I hope its enough, should at least get high partial credit maybe

Yeah it was basically that. But you could have also assumed that n was an element of Natural Number (edit: it was given in the question) and used any number above 0 to proof Pythagoras' theorem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

For the last question were logs needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

That's what I did too, well, atleast I tried to. What did you get? I think my one was -n^2-n/2 , or something weird like that.

Nicke011 wrote: »
    This is how I've done it

Ahhhh so annoyed that I didn't see that :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

Could you, by any chance, be alluding to my Chem fail? :p

I own AM. Like, literally, it is in my possession. So, shouldn't have much trouble. :D

No no (thats hardly a fail!) I just use the phrase rusty a lot, but I haven't done applied maths in so long, shame on me! :o

Thoughts on this paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone else just measure the bridge question and multiply accordingly? :P fairly sure it's the wrong way to do it, but put it down anyways :pac:

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    That's what I did too, well, atleast I tried to. What did you get? I think my one was -n^2-n/2 , or something weird like that.

That was what I got to. And to be honest, it is the last part of a 25 marker so even if we were wrong we wouldn't loose much marks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shaneq141

Well ,had a disaster of a day today after doing a really good geography exam the maths went shocking for me ,just wonderin what ye all made of it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bottomdog wrote: »
    My son just got home, he is in an above average achieving academic school and was joint student of the year. He was expecting an A this morning and was extremely well prepared. He studies 6 to 8 hours a day. For what it is worth to fellow students he is completely unsure of his performance today. He is only certain of correct answers in a few questions, possibly correct in several more, he was able to give a reasonable attempt at all the questions, some students left delighted and felt A1s were achieved but he was not sure at all. he said some questions were weird and he attempted them with his best efforts. all considered he just commented to say ' I passed" Thats some come down from hoping for an A this morning . If that gives anyone comfort tonight I hope so. I just told him his efforts will be noticed and rewarded. But be assured …. that was not a no-brainer exam.

Could be a no brainier for some, all depends on what you've focused on in your studies.

Advertisement