Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I thought the paper was easy enough to pass. Lots of easy parts.

Just so hard to get a good grade in :(

And the time, ugh. If I had 5 more minutes, I reckon I could have gone up by 25 marks.
    aleatorio wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't know how to get that last side :/
    Nicke011 wrote: »
    Z3BSLJh.jpg
    This is how I've done it

This.
    Mine was too; any idea where you made the mistake as I seem to have done the same thing and I'm not sure why (I specified why I thought it was decreasing on the paper, but I'm unsure)

Never mind, I just looked at the question again and nah I don't know why mine was decreasing..and it made sense :confused:

Anyone know what we did wrong?

Surely the rate of change of temperature of boiled water should decrease over time..

Damn it, I get it now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Z3BSLJh.jpg
    This is how I've done it

DAMMIT :pac:
    I had that triangle drawn but didn't cop the 5-x piece :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Heartbreakingly badly

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rbrtmry

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You know for the sequence question.
    To get the odd number formula
    I subtracted the the formula for all the even numbered natural numbers from the formula for all the natural numbers . Is that right

Sorry but not quite. there are twice as many numbers in the general one as there are in the even formula so you sub 2n into the general subtract the even and you get x squared as an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Aspiring wrote: »
    Could be a no brainier for some, all depends on what you've focused on in your studies.

It wasn't really a "no brainer" but it was definitely the appropriate standard for LC HL Maths. There was nothing on it that a good LC student wouldn't have seen before and/or been able to work out with the maths they know from the past 2 years of study!

The DEB mock was harder without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Has anyone got a definitive answer on whether the very last question had a mistake in it, I feel like it did. I generally average 98-100% and it's worrying me that my graph was decreasing, which I saw no problem with, but the question said increasing. Now I pointed this out on my paper but I'd like to know if other people agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Here are all the workings to Section A.

Disclaimer: I'm not so good with addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

MegGustaa wrote: »
    It wasn't really a "no brainer" but it was definitely the appropriate standard for LC HL Maths. There was nothing on it that a good LC student wouldn't have seen before and/or been able to work out with the maths they know from the past 2 years of study!

The DEB mock was harder without a doubt.

agreed, our mock was much harder than this

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I got the final part to increase as it was negative, as t tended to infinity e^-0.0338(t) became zero, so it was increasing for all values of t. I can't explain it but I think I was correct.

Here are all the workings to Section A.

Disclaimer: I'm not so good with addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.

Here's Q6.

• Advertisement

Rbrtmry wrote: »
    Sorry but not quite. there are twice as many numbers in the general one as there are in the even formula so you sub 2n into the general subtract the even and you get x squared as an answer

That Q had me stuck for a while, had to come back at the end. I was tripped up by the 2n thing for a while - even though I knew the answer was n^2, it took a while for me to work out how to use those two results to get there! But eventually I subbed in 2n and got it out! Glad someone else did that too!

Chonaic17 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a definitive answer on whether the very last question had a mistake in it, I feel like it did. I generally average 98-100% and it's worrying me that my graph was decreasing, which I saw no problem with, but the question said increasing. Now I pointed this out on my paper but I'd like to know if other people agree with me.

I spent a while looking at that thinking it was a typo. Until I realised they weren't asking if the graph was always increasing, they were asking if the first derivative was always increasing - so you had to get the second derivative, which is always positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

Lads I forgot to write my calculator model on my paper. Will I now fail or lose marks? I use the ordinary black Sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Keelin1244

Looking at them solutions and I've gotten everything wrong , can't believe it hope I'm not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Ok so I did both the press Examcraft and DEB. Though DEB was a challenge it didn't f**k me over like today's paper! Didn't have enough time was the problem. I left the questions I thought were hard till the end and then I didn't have enough time to do them. I'd say I left a few spaces blank anyway! F my effing L (FML)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I probably shouldn't read these solutions eclipsechaser, but thanks for posting. I did well in questions 1-4, but I made an absolute hames (is that even a real word?) of Q5 and Q6.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I spent a while looking at that thinking it was a typo. Until I realised they weren't asking if the graph was always increasing, they were asking if the first derivative was always increasing - so you had to get the second derivative, which is always positive.

That's what I went with in the end, but I still wasn't sure, oddly phrased question.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Where was financial maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Can anyone tell me how much will I be penalised for this mistake:

Q9) f) (i) I read it as 1 min10sec?!? But it was for 1 minute and 10 minutes!

Panicing about losing an A, I was really confident coming out.
    I also messed up the area uder the bridge. I think thats sort of it.

Lads I forgot to write my calculator model on my paper. Will I now fail or lose marks? I use the ordinary black Sharp.

It's extremely unlikely to be a problem. Many people forget to write it down. The only red flag would be if you had answered a load of questions in a way that indicated the use of an illegal calculator. That didn't happen so don't worry about it.

Remember to write it down for Paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Please someone tell me can financial maths be on paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Janeh9 wrote: »
    Where was financial maths?

That's another thing my best topic in maths didn't show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

F my effing L (FML)

I couldn't help but see that as f(x) when I glanced at your post. Probably because they were bloody everywhere on that paper. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Please someone tell me can financial maths be on paper 2?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emilyjaneoh

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I used the tan theta with slopes formula but yeah 53°

I third this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I forgot to round it to 53 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

aleatorio wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't know how to get that last side :/

I had to use two other triangles to figure it out, did something with the x and 7 side making 7-x as far as I remember, oh the joy when that worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

mirrors wrote: »
    Yeah

I thought it was specificly paper one?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

It's extremely unlikely to be a problem. Many people forget to write it down. The only red flag would be if you had answered a load of questions in a way that indicated the use of an illegal calculator. That didn't happen so don''t worry about it.

Remember to write it down for Paper 2.

Thanks a million. No way I'll forget now after the fright I had there. Thanks for those solutions too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm not at all proud of this but here goes..

I multiplied 2 and 2 and got 2 :o Lost like 10 marks. 10 easy marks. 10 complex number marks :(

Advertisement