Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Janeh9 wrote: »
    I thought it was specificly paper one?
    Part of the joy of project maths is that anything can feature anywhere. That's it in theory anyway. My mother is a retired maths teacher and she said this was highlighted at many of the conferences that material can overlap significantly between the two papers.

In reality it probably won't happen though. I've just accepted the fact that the main section I tried to consolidate in my mind in the last week won't get me a single mark out of the 600 available. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

For that question where you had to measure the angle and everyone got 53 degrees, were you allowed measure the angle with a protractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Here are all the workings to Section A.

Disclaimer: I'm not so good with addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.

The only bits I didn't get right fully was the sum of odd number, but I knew the n^2 answer, and then I left out the +c in the trig integration
    Oh the relief <3

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I'm not at all proud of this but here goes..

I multiplied 2 and 2 and got 2 :o Lost like 10 marks. 10 easy marks. 10 complex number marks :(

Ah, they wont take a full 10 marks off ya for a slip like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

robman60 wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't read these solutions eclipsechaser, but thanks for posting. I did well in questions 1-4, but I made an absolute hames (is that even a real word?) of Q5 and Q6.

I just put them up in case people need to know what they need for P2. I'll do the rest of the exam after dinner. Seriously, don't panic looking at the answers. The method is the main thing and that's where most of the marks are.

It's also possible to do the questions in different ways so don't worry if it doesn't look similar. I can also make mistakes too :)

Statistically only a tiny % of students don't pass. Do a bit of study over the weekend and get some rest too. You'll do fine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

K1ultra wrote: »
    For that question where you had to measure the angle and everyone got 53 degrees, were you allowed measure the angle with a protractor?

No, I don't think so.

You're probably never going to get asked anything where you have to measure the angle with a protractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Ok this is a bit embarrassing but was the points for the cubic and line intersection? I arsed that up I don't know what got into me there freaking out. Shaking like a leaf before I went in too

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

was the significant numbers bit -.033 or should of of been rounded to -.034?

I would have said no, but it does just say to find the measure so I don't see why you wouldn't. It didn't explicitly state that trigonometric methods should be used.
    XtotheZ wrote: »
    Was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the answer is -0.0339. You had to go to three non-zero figures. You'll probably only lose one mark if you wrote -.034

For the complex number question I got 54 but I used Pythagoras and split it into two triangles is tht ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

XtotheZ wrote: »

I got -0.033

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

allyb17 wrote: »
    Ok this is a bit embarrassing but was the points for the cubic and line intersection? I arsed that up I don't know what got into me there freaking out. Shaking like a leaf before I went in too

I got three points: one was like (0,-6) there was another one on the x axis, like (-5,0) I thiiiink. Someone else probably knows them all. And is more likely to have them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Did anyone else use a right angles triangle and double it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For the last part of Q6 how much will that end up being worth I wonder... Made a hames of it, though I did correctly sub the lna stuff into the Sn formula, so here's to hoping for mid to high partial credit :pac:
    The answer seems to simple now that I look at it :p

For the complex number question I got 54 but I used Pythagoras and split it into two triangles is tht ok?

i used sine rule and got 53. It didnt say how you should of answered it did it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

eefah wrote: »
    Ah, they wont take a full 10 marks off ya for a slip like that!

Well, I got the value for w wrong and plotted it wrong, I'd still get marks for attempting and the other plots.

But I used that point for the next question and got a perfect 90, 45, 45 isoceles triangle. So I'd lose marks there too. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I got 90 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

LOL

Here you go.

Here you go.

I got that, happy days

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Well, I got the value for w wrong and plotted it wrong, I'd still get marks for attempting and the other plots.

But I used that point for the next question and got a perfect 90, 45, 45 isoceles triangle. So I'd lose marks there too. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I got 90 :(

They only penalise a mistake once. You'll likely lose only a few marks. No big deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Can anyone tell me how much will I be penalised for this mistake:

Q9) f) (i) I read it as 1 min10sec?!? But it was for 1 minute and 10 minutes!

Panicing about losing an A, I was really confident coming out.
    I also messed up the area uder the bridge. I think thats sort of it.

I did the exact same thing! And I though I was so smart cos I'd turned it into 1.16666 minutes and I thought other people might miss it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

Here are all the workings to Section A.

Disclaimer: I'm not so good with addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.

do you lose much marks for not puttn in the +c in integration.. I completely forgot about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emilyjaneoh

I just put them up in case people need to know what they need for P2. I'll do the rest of the exam after dinner. Seriously, don't panic looking at the answers. The method is the main thing and that's where most of the marks are.

It's also possible to do the questions in different ways so don't worry if it doesn't look similar. I can also make mistakes too :)

Statistically only a tiny % of students don't pass. Do a bit of study over the weekend and get some rest too. You'll do fine!

Ellipsechaser did you sit this exam a few hours ago? Like you must be getting 100% 😭

You could do it lots of ways including that. The answer was 53 but likely you rounded at some early stage so 54 isn't a big deal. You'll either get full marks or (full marks - 1). Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LCLIFE

WHERE WAS FINANCIAL MATHS, INEQUALITYS, SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS, DE MOVIRES THEOREM, POLAR FORM, PROPER REALTED RATES OF CHANGE?!! Also just couldn't do the complex number question, the angle part. That paper ruined me. There's my hope of 520 out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

mirrors wrote: »
    LOL

What it didn't say you couldn't like?

eefah wrote: »
    I got three points: one was like (0,-6) there was another one on the x axis, like (-5,0) I thiiiink. Someone else probably knows them all. And is more likely to have them right.

I got that but when I plotted it it wasn't visible at all :( like it was -6 ,0 or something :(

LCLIFE wrote: »
    WHERE WAS FINANCIAL MATHS, INEQUALITYS, SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS, DE MOVIRES THEOREM, POLAR FORM, PROPER REALTED RATES OF CHANGE?!! Also just couldn't do the complex number question, the angle part. That paper ruined me. There's my hope of 520 out the door
    When you actually highlight all the things that didn't appear whatsoever it's kind of astonishing. Simultaneous equations, Applications of De Moivre's Theorom, and financial maths are my favourite sections.

Instead we just get bombarded with functions and weird sequences questions. :confused:

I feel your pain, I'm in absolute bits over it and I worked so so so hard.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, wouldnt of minded any of those tbh. Except rates of change. thanks **** that didnt come up

Advertisement