Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

123corby wrote: »
    do you lose much marks for not puttn in the +c in integration.. I completely forgot about it..

No. It's not a big mistake. 1 or 2 marks I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Here you go.

I'm livid I got that but I kind crossed it because it didn't go through those when I plotted it, uh I can't do maths with 2 hours sleep or sit that paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Hmm Q8
    a C(24,7.488)
    b D(10,5) E(38,5)
    c 194
    d y - 7.488 = -0.013(x-24)^2
    e y + 4 = -2(x-3)^2
    These look familiar to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Ompala wrote: »
    Hmm Q8
    a C(24,7.488)
    b D(10,5) E(38,5)
    c 194
    e y + 4 = -2(x-3)^2

Looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Hmm Q8
    a C(24,7.488)
    b D(10,5) E(38,5)
    c 194
    e y + 4 = -2(x-3)^2

is it an encrypted Heaney poem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

allyb17 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, I'm in absolute bits over it and I worked so so so hard.
    I can empathise. I'm not the best worker ever but I was pretty dedicated to maths this year. I did well enough but my overriding sentiment is that my preparation wouldn't be reflected in the exam. All the areas I would have hoped for 90%+ didn't even appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

LCLIFE wrote: »
    WHERE WAS FINANCIAL MATHS, INEQUALITYS, SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS, DE MOVIRES THEOREM, POLAR FORM, PROPER REALTED RATES OF CHANGE?!! Also just couldn't do the complex number question, the angle part. That paper ruined me. There's my hope of 520 out the door

I know man, algebra and financial maths are my strongest points since it's pretty much just logic. And calculus and proofs are my weakest points - and guess what: no financial/algrebra and way too many proofs and calculus questions! Great! Hopefully I can still get a C1, or scrape a B3 if paper 2 is any good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

LCLIFE wrote: »
    WHERE WAS FINANCIAL MATHS, INEQUALITYS, SIMULTANEOUS EQUATIONS, DE MOVIRES THEOREM, POLAR FORM, PROPER REALTED RATES OF CHANGE?!! Also just couldn't do the complex number question, the angle part. That paper ruined me. There's my hope of 520 out the door

When you list them all out like that :(

Those are really nice sections..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yayakolo

I never saw the draw a graph part in question 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Hmm Q8
    a C(24,7.488)
    b D(10,5) E(38,5)
    c 194
    e y + 4 = -2(x-3)^2

Exactly my answers! I feel pretty relieved right now!

• Advertisement

allyb17 wrote: »
    I'm livid I got that but I kind crossed it because it didn't go through those when I plotted it, uh I can't do maths with 2 hours sleep or sit that paper :(

They still give marks for stuff that's crossed out if it's visible. So long as you don't obliterate it, you're entitled to some marks (perhaps all of them). Just put a light line through work you want to erase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Question for ye . On the bridge question I didn't get 10,5 etc.
    But I know how to do the area under curve perfectly . I.e I did it but used wrong limits .
    Would I get zero marks even though my method was 100 percent right or do they just work with my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

yayakolo wrote: »

Yeah, it was very hard to see. I noticed it 2 minutes before the exam was over when I was looking over all of the questions.

I almost missed it. But I don't know why, I was on Q4, I just suddenly turned back to the first page thinking "Wait a second.." :P

I think I got a similar question in the mocks and almost forgot the graph part. I must have remembered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I know related rates of change is tough but I'd have loved that to come up too.

I was trawling through this Yeats College handout I got when I was at the revision course there at Christmas and just last night I was finally confident I could get any question in which it featured. I had even anticipated they'd have a World Cup football's volume or something. Instead we get Ciarán and his baby food.... :mad:

DA SEC R ENCOURAGIN TEENAGE GIRLS TA GET PREGGERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I almost missed it. But I don't know why, I was on Q4, I just suddenly turned back to the first page thinking "Wait a second.." :P

I think I got a similar question in the mocks and almost forgot the graph part. I must have remembered that.

Yep, looked exact same as first page of DEB mock :rolleyes:

Aspiring wrote: »

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Aspiring wrote: »

Glad I wasn't the only person who noticed .

My first thought when I picked up the exam today was that several people will miss the question at the bottom. It was extremely poor layout. It won't be worth too many marks though so don't worry about it. Poor job from SEC to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Can anyone tell me how much will I be penalised for this mistake:

Q9) f) (i) I read it as 1 min10sec?!? But it was for 1 minute and 10 minutes!

Panicing about losing an A, I was really confident coming out.
    I also messed up the area uder the bridge. I think thats sort of it.

Oh for fùck sake I did that too :(

• Advertisement

I reckon that if that graph question was 1c rather than 1b part ii, a lot more people would have seen it.

The fact that it was a part ii made it just directly under the boxes and it looked like some small print. If it was part c, it would have stood out on the left.

Poor layout. It's the little things..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

wow..did not see 1(b) ii at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Did the paper through Irish and there was a mistake in the Irish version. In question 6 when it said to find value "a"... in the irish version it said to find the value of "x" although there was no mention of an x in the whole question. All I had to do was look at the english version to see the mistake but people reckon this mistake will be taken into account when they mark the irish test... As in they might give us the marks. I don't think this will happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

Did anyone else use a right angles triangle and double it??
    i did. ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

hopefully got an A1,see how paper 2 goes

XtotheZ wrote: »
    is it an encrypted Heaney poem?

Yeah, i don't get it :confused: Did something controversial happen in english??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Yeah, i don't get it :confused: Did something controversial happen in english??

Not for me anyway #Dickinson

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Question for ye . On the bridge question I didn't get 10,5 etc.
    But I know how to do the area under curve perfectly . I.e I did it but used wrong limits .
    Would I get zero marks even though my method was 100 percent right or do they just work with my answer.

I would imagine they will just work with your answers, it would be quite unfair not to imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LCLIFE

robman60 wrote: »
    I can empathise. I'm not the best worker ever but I was pretty dedicated to maths this year. I did well enough but my overriding sentiment is that my preparation wouldn't be reflected in the exam. All the areas I would have hoped for 90%+ didn't even appear!
    I'm the exact same. I put a **** load of work into maths this year and paper 1 was always my strongest paper by far. Always getting B1s + in any samples, tests etc. And now I'll be lucky to pass that paper. I'm in bits, all the work I put in just seems like a waste of time now. Hopefully I miraculously turn into an A student for paper 2 over this weekend! So so upset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Well no financial maths or polar form is a disgrace. Of course those who are going for As wont mind but it really didnt reward the B/C students and the effort we put into these areas.

Probably scrapped a B at worst a C1. Cant do anything now.

NEVER AGAIN :D

I dont care as long as I get my course at the end of the day. The record numbers will mean many weaker students so expect a nice surprise when opening your results

So lads papers out the window. This examiner has his own way.

Advertisement