Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

LCMATHS wrote: »
    Wow after the work I put into maths this was just a huge shock to the system. I was able to answer all the questions on all the Edco papers, then this :( sequence and series or whatever all that was all over the paper, the one topic I knew nothing about. Then Q9 a topic I hate as well, no glorious simultaneous equations, no rates of change, no polar form, no de moivre's theorem, no financial maths. Worst thing is everyone I talked to thought it was a great paper, i'm here in shock, wondering what i'm going to do when i fail maths now :'( Damn you SEC, why you deceive us. Hoping they give us a nice paper 2.

I'm on the same boat, I'm hoping paper 2 is a lot nicer. I honestly did HORRIBLE in this paper but I still have hope. You have 2 days to brush up on paper 2 and get that grade back up. :) Plus, although many were happy with the paper, many hated it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

People said that functions will be the accent for the P1, it was true in some way. What you recon for P2? A decent statistic question is definite with probably few theory questions... I would say that a decent circle question is gonna come up. Probability maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

Nicke011 wrote: »
    People said that functions will be the accent for the P1, it was true in some way. What you recon for P2? A decent statistic question is definite with probably few theory questions... I would say that a decent circle question is gonna come up. Probability maybe?

Judging by paper 1 I'd say this paper 2 may be completely different from previous years :O with topics people considering a definite not even appearing, that's just my pessimistic gut feeling though. Other than that expect circle, line, statistics, trig, proof by contradiction maybe...ect...

LCMATHS wrote: »
    Judging by paper 1 I'd say this paper 2 may be completely different from previous years :O with topics people considering a definite not even appearing, that's just my pessimistic gut feeling though. Other than that expect circle, line, statistics, trig, proof by contradiction maybe...ect...

I hope not, I think it's ridiculous if they focus on two to three select topics. Make it diverse. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

Very upset looking back with how Paper 1 just went, was really hoping for an A1 but it's gonna very tough now

I did 1 b ii before 1 b i for some reason. I thought id just quickly do it to see what sort of coordinates I would end up with but didn't realise the axis had different scales. Such a dumb mistake, that cost me 1 b i as well because I thought it only had one point of intersection at (0, -6)

For 2 bii I slipped and said 5 instead of 4 for the adjecent side. 2taninverse(2/5) instead of 2taninverse(2/4). Such a terrible feeling after all those years of trig not being able to count to 4 properly:mad:

3c I genuinely didn't get. I subtracted the answer to part (b) from that of part (a) so I'd be left with all the odd numbers but I kept getting (-k^2-k)/2 which I knew was wrong.

4 and 5 I got right I think

6a,b and c I messed up because I think I said that d = nlna instead of lna.
    This was a paper I was hoping to get high 90s in and now this disaster:(

7 I got right

For 8c I found the area under curve until B and subtracted the area under it from 10 to 38. I added the area of the rectangle 5(28) = 140 so my answer was 239 but earlier in the thread people said this was wrong so I'm not sure what to think...

The graph in 9d was really weird, extremely close to both axes. The second graph I has to draw should have been even steeper to make it even more confusing. Now I have this terrible feeling that it can be explained by me getting k wrong... Was it -0.372 = ((ln12/77)/5) ??

For 9f I found the rate of change no problem but completely missed the part where it said ' at 1 minute and after 10 minutes '

got 9fii

So yeah pretty heartbroken to be honest. I wonder if I got 100% in paper 2 could I still get an my A1:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Very upset looking back with how Paper 1 just went, was really hoping for an A1 but it's gonna very tough now

I did 1 b ii before 1 b i for some reason. I thought id just quickly do it to see what sort of coordinates I would end up with but didn't realise the axis had different scales. Such a dumb mistake, that cost me 1 b i as well because I thought it only had one point of intersection at (0, -6)

For 2 bii I slipped and said 5 instead of 4 for the adjecent side. 2taninverse(2/5) instead of 2taninverse(2/4). Such a terrible feeling after all those years of trig not being able to count to 4 properly:mad:

3c I genuinely didn't get. I subtracted the answer to part (b) from that of part (a) so I'd be left with all the odd numbers but I kept getting (-k^2-k)/2 which I knew was wrong.

4 and 5 I got right I think

6a,b and c I messed up because I think I said that d = nlna instead of lna.
    This was a paper I was hoping to get high 90s in and now this disaster:(

7 I got right

For 8c I found the area under curve until B and subtracted the area under it from 10 to 38. I added the area of the rectangle 5(28) = 140 so my answer was 239 but earlier in the thread people said this was wrong so I'm not sure what to think...

The graph in 9d was really weird, extremely close to both axes. The second graph I has to draw should have been even steeper to make it even more confusing. Now I have this terrible feeling that it can be explained by me getting k wrong... Was it -0.372 = ((ln12/77)/5) ??

For 9f I found the rate of change no problem but completely missed the part where it said ' at 1 minute and after 10 minutes '

got 9fii

So yeah pretty heartbroken to be honest. I wonder if I got 100% in paper 2 could I still get an my A1:p
    Same here, I didn't see the "1 minute" I just saw "after 10 minutes" :/

I know how you feel. Right after the exam I was so happy, thinking I got almost everything right. Now that I have looked at the paper again, I realised that I have made a lot of small mistakes.

k was -0.034-something if I recall correctly, but I remember writing '-0.372' somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DANIELMY9

Ompala wrote: »
    Hmm Q8
    a C(24,7.488)
    b D(10,5) E(38,5)
    c 194
    d y - 7.488 = -0.013(x-24)^2
    e y + 4 = -2(x-3)^2
    These look familiar to anyone?

Spot on exact same answers..BOOM #nailedit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I did HL exam last year, and while some of the longer questions had some things that weren't on our course, overall that wasn't a nice paper. They focused way too much on specific areas of the course rather than testing your broad knowledge of the course.

I mean, there's plenty of scope to include most topics, very strange that they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Here's Section B as promised. I did this after midnight so please allow for that!

Here's Section B as promised. I did this after midnight so please allow for that!

Thanks, I just looked at Q7 and I'm so proud that I actually perfected a question in this exam.

• Advertisement

And the last bit of Q9.

All those despairing, don't. Just do a bit of study over the weekend for P2. It's often the easier paper. You'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

LCLIFE wrote: »
    I'm the exact same. I put a **** load of work into maths this year and paper 1 was always my strongest paper by far. Always getting B1s + in any samples, tests etc. And now I'll be lucky to pass that paper. I'm in bits, all the work I put in just seems like a waste of time now. Hopefully I miraculously turn into an A student for paper 2 over this weekend! So so upset

You've literally just described my whole situation. I'm the exact same I'm devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

And the last bit of Q9.

All those despairing, don't. Just do a bit of study over the weekend for P2. It's often the easier paper. You'll do fine.

For the last part, would finding the limit as it tends to infinity be worth any merit? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Guys sorry to just bump into this thread. I did my leaving cert 10 years ago and got an A2 in higher level maths. I know it can be very challenging; paper 1 is by-gone and one should just only think about the upcoming paper 2. There's nothing you can do about paper 1 now but you have all to do for paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭pdev

anyway to make elispcechaser's link load faster??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

pdev wrote: »

It's loading fine for me :confused:

pdev wrote: »

I've made an album here so they're easily view-able.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/sets/72157645038676092/

I'll agree with what the poster above said. Don't get too caught up on P1. I'm just providing this as it may be useful for some people to know where they stand. Your main focus should be on P2. Best of luck! :)

(To also answer the last question, I don't think limits is exactly the way they wanted it done but you should at least get marks for it as slopes involve limits).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

I thought i just screwed it up myself at first but now I'm certain that i blame the sec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

nunchuks wrote: »
    I thought i just screwed it up myself at first but now I'm certain that i blame the sec. I'm a repeat student and i worked more or less entirely from the sample papers they published and they were ****ing useless. I'm going to ****ing fail maths now, i was concentrating on paper 1 because it was my weaker paper last year but i failed it today mainly because the department published bull**** samples. I don't even know what I'm going to do now, ****ing year of my life down the drain. I won't even get the pass now and won't be able to get any of the courses I picked due to the maths requirement. ****ing bull****, how hard is it to include optional questions?

Don't be worked up on it! It's over now, no point in dawning on it. I do agree with you but hey, what can we do. Hopefully they might adjust he marking if the majority achieve low grades and they award generous marks. But anyways, that's the past. Just focus on paper 2 now, often it is a lot easier than paper 1. I'm in the same situation as you, done absolutely terrible in P1, like no questions answered. So, I'm focusing in P2 and achieving 80% in that to pass myself! It can be done.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pa95

Had a good maths exam, but just after realising that I forgot to fill in the make and model of my calculator...our superintendent never reminded us and it's on a sneaky page in between the front booklet and the questions that I didn't see at all - was quite nervous and more concerned with actually doing the exam. Should this concern me? I figure for paper 2 I can write it in and write in beside it *same used for paper 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Don't be worked up on it! It's over now, no point in dawning on it. I do agree with you but hey, what can we do. Hopefully they might adjust he marking if the majority achieve low grades and they award generous marks. But anyways, that's the past. Just focus on paper 2 now, often it is a lot easier than paper 1. I'm in the same situation as you, done absolutely terrible in P1, like no questions answered. So, I'm focusing in P2 and achieving 80% in that to pass myself! It can be done.

Good luck!

I don't think the majority will get low grades . The questions on the paper were very doable for a start . The long questions were far easier than the ones in the samples too . They focused more on sequences , functions and calculus . If you didn't know those chapters then you probably got caught out . In my school the reaction to it was positive . It wasn't too straining at all just weird . The sec sample paper was more challenging IMO . I thought they'd take it easy on us for the first year though . Many of the concepts assessed were basic . I mean it couldn't get much easier than q1 for a hl lc paper .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

If I got the points of intersection wrong in the bridge question but then used them in the next part to get the area, will I lose many marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Missovoxo

nunchuks wrote: »
    I thought i just screwed it up myself at first but now I'm certain that i blame the sec. I'm a repeat student and i worked more or less entirely from the sample papers they published and they were ****ing useless. I'm going to ****ing fail maths now, i was concentrating on paper 1 because it was my weaker paper last year but i failed it today mainly because the department published bull**** samples. I don't even know what I'm going to do now, ****ing year of my life down the drain. I won't even get the pass now and won't be able to get any of the courses I picked due to the maths requirement. ****ing bull****, how hard is it to include optional questions?

I feel exactly how you feel the sample papers were a pile of **** that was mixed up from 2012 to last year! It was meant to "guide" us for this year! Oh but the only thing that came up was proof of induction. Where did sequences come from?? and that's what I was dreading so basically I failed! All because they like to catch you out. It's a load of ****ery.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the last part, would finding the limit as it tends to infinity be worth any merit? :o

Yes, I think so anyway, worth some marks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

pa95 wrote: »
    Had a good maths exam, but just after realising that I forgot to fill in the make and model of my calculator...our superintendent never reminded us and it's on a sneaky page in between the front booklet and the questions that I didn't see at all - was quite nervous and more concerned with actually doing the exam. Should this concern me? I figure for paper 2 I can write it in and write in beside it *same used for paper 1.

Damn I did this too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Missovoxo wrote: »
    I feel exactly how you feel the sample papers were a pile of **** that was mixed up from 2012 to last year! It was meant to "guide" us for this year! Oh but the only thing that came up was proof of induction. Where did sequences come from?? and that's what I was dreading so basically I failed! All because they like to catch you out. It's a load of ****ery.

Yeah. I think this weekend my study will involve the syllabus with the textbook supplemented with exam papers. For the last three months I've just been doing exam papers exam papers exam papers I didn't even know how to do a fupping differentiate from first principles yesterday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

Would I get many marks if, for the very last part of Q9, I showed that f(t) has no turning points? Because by showing this, I thought that I was showing the rate of change will always be changing in one direction only, instead of fluctuating? Therefore, it would be always either increasing or decreasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Why is everyone stressing over not putting the make of your calculator on the paper? I didn't even see the box for it on the paper.. besides I had two calculators (different models) in with me..

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

Yeah. I think this weekend my study will involve the syllabus with the textbook supplemented with exam papers. For the last two months I've just been doing exam papers exam papers exam papers I didn't even know how to do a fupping differentiate from first principles yesterday :mad:

Yesterday morning I literally went through the whole book and wrote out anything I felt I had forgotten since we did those chapters and it served me so well in the exam. Definitely doing this for paper 2 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Yesterday morning I literally went through the whole book and wrote out anything I felt I had forgotten since we did those chapters and it served me so well in the exam. Definitely doing this for paper 2 again.

Yeah that's what I did too, first I went through and wrote a list of all the major, more challenging topics in each chapter, then went through my book armed with a highlighter and page markers and marked all the stuff that either needed to be learned off, or just wasn't very intuitive, them wrote out a page of stuff I found most difficult, like the average value formula, trig integration, rates of change and sequences and series formulae and looked over it every night :o
    Considering that in the mocks I had the examcraft P1, which was considered easier, and got a C1, I feel doing all of that definately prepared me for the exam more than doing exam papers, because I was aware of the whole course rather than just what's in the sample papers :pac:

Long story short, go through your textbook everyone! XD

Advertisement