Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

nunchuks wrote: »
    I thought i just screwed it up myself at first but now I'm certain that i blame the sec. I'm a repeat student and i worked more or less entirely from the sample papers they published and they were ****ing useless. I'm going to ****ing fail maths now, i was concentrating on paper 1 because it was my weaker paper last year but i failed it today mainly because the department published bull**** samples. I don't even know what I'm going to do now, ****ing year of my life down the drain. I won't even get the pass now and won't be able to get any of the courses I picked due to the maths requirement. ****ing bull****, how hard is it to include optional questions?

As a student I totally agree with you re: optional questions. I tried lobbying the SEC and NCCA about this and didn't get very far. I would ask everyone to send the SEC an e-mail expressing your dissatisfaction about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

d1234 wrote: »
    As a student I totally agree with you re: optional questions. I tried lobbying the SEC and NCCA about this and didn't get very far. I would ask everyone to send the SEC an e-mail expressing your dissatisfaction about this.

I agree completely. My teacher said our best bet of getting a good mark in honours maths was to study the sample papers and keep practicing them. That's what I did and now I feel the same, like I might have failed paper 1 because it was completely different from the sample papers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I agree completely. My teacher said our best bet of getting a good mark in honours maths was to study the sample papers and keep practicing them. That's what I did and now I feel the same, like I might have failed paper 1 because it was completely different from the sample papers!!!

Exactly. Papers alone don't seem to be enough. For Paper two I'll be reverting back to the book as at least it should cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

d1234 wrote: »

The logic behind optional questions is that weaker students choose the wrong questions.

When everyone has the do the same questions then the examination is fairer

For paper 2, does anyone have a list of all the constructions and the proofs/theorems we have to know? Would be much appreciated! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

The sample papers were never supposed to be a guide for study. They were published to give teachers and students a familiarity with the layout of the papers and an idea as to the general way certain topics might be asked. Given the breadth of the course and the emphasis on developing mathematical skills rather than learning off methods, you cannot expect the paper you sit to be a carbon copy of a sample issued.

That being said, I did actually think yesterday's paper was very much in line with the 2014 Sample Paper 1.

Sample Section A: Complex Numbers, Induction, Cubic Functions, Simultaneous Equations/Modulus Inequalities, Differentiation, Integration.

2014 Section A: Cubic Functions, Complex Numbers, Induction, Differentiation, Integration, Sequences and Series.

Sample Section B: Area and Volume, Financial Maths, Calculus.

2014 Section B: Algebra & Calculus, Calculus, Exponential Functions.

You can't expect it to be exactly the same but it tested a lot of the same stuff. There's so much on the course, you're better off studying from the textbook to make sure you understand everything you're expected to, and then practising with questions from the textbook and sample papers.

MegGustaa wrote: »
    The sample papers were never supposed to be a guide for study. They were published to give teachers and students a familiarity with the layout of the papers and an idea as to the general way certain topics might be asked. Given the breadth of the course and the emphasis on developing mathematical skills rather than learning off methods, you cannot expect the paper you sit to be a carbon copy of a sample issued.

That being said, I did actually think yesterday's paper was very much in line with the 2014 Sample Paper 1.

Sample Section A: Complex Numbers, Induction, Cubic Functions, Simultaneous Equations/Modulus Inequalities, Differentiation, Integration.

2014 Section A: Cubic Functions, Complex Numbers, Induction, Differentiation, Integration, Sequences and Series.

Sample Section B: Area and Volume, Financial Maths, Calculus.

2014 Section B: Algebra & Calculus, Calculus, Exponential Functions.

You can't expect it to be exactly the same but it tested a lot of the same stuff. There's so much on the course, you're better off studying from the textbook to make sure you understand everything you're expected to, and then practising with questions from the textbook and sample papers.

Now that you laid it out, it covered the same topics just twisted and there were questions which through people.
    I get using the textbook is helpful but for my school the textbook we chose isn't very helpful, it doesn't explain things clearly and there's too much written passages about certain things which are irrelevant to what we need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Is that all of them?

All paper two ones, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Hi can anyone put up a solution for Q9 (a) just how they found A from y=Ae^kt I'd really appreciate it.. Not sure if I was right or wrong with that one..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

yoyojc wrote: »
    Hi can anyone put up a solution for Q9 (a) just how they found A from y=Ae^kt I'd really appreciate it.. Not sure if I was right or wrong with that one..

If t = 0, e^kt is 1
    Y = 77
    77 = A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Theory part for paper 2 is so annoying! Maths is not about cramming theory :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnM212

Do ye think were going to be asked statistics definitions? There's so much to learn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Theory part for paper 2 is so annoying! Maths is not about cramming theory :o

Ugh I know! I've been at it all day and I'm so frustrated, just want a nice maths q to sink my teeth into, not ****ing advantages of questionnaires..

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

aleatorio wrote: »
    Ugh I know! I've been at it all day and I'm so frustrated, just want a nice maths q to sink my teeth into, not ****ing advantages of questionnaires..

Seeing as paper one was very maths-based I don't think there will be too many definitions. Let us pray anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

plmko wrote: »
    Seeing as paper one was very maths-based I don't think there will be too many definitions. Let us pray anyway!!

Better not be any of that statistics theory BS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Penguins123

Can anyone put up the full DEB paper 2 or have a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

For the SEC sample paper 2 2014 theorem, which theorem are you proving?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

plmko wrote: »
    Didn't think question 9 was the worst, 8 was more challenging was it not?

what was 8 about again? 9 wasnt bad i got abit flustered with it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Can somebody explain to me how to find a coordinate on a Sin or a Cos graph?

K1ultra wrote: »
    For the SEC sample paper 2 2014 theorem, which theorem are you proving?

6B? I think it's theorem 19 collary 1.

It's not a proof, it's an application. Really easy, 3 or 4 lines and a drawing a circle.
    ladderlad wrote: »
    what was 8 about again? 9 wasnt bad i got abit flustered with it on the day

The bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

When calculating A and Y, I got 77 for Y but I wasnt sure and I only solved it in rough work at the back pages. Will the examiner give me marks for the answer even though its not written on the page of the question? I also didnt make any reference to the back for the answer but its there

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Id also highly recommend the Less Stress More Success Paper 2 book if you want to get some cramming done over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Question about paper 1, how many points do you get for the right result without showing your work? In the question where they asked for formula for the sum of all odd numbers n, I got it that it is n^2 which is right but I don't have the steps :o so, whats the story with that?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    6B? I think it's theorem 19 collary 1.

There was no collary 1 in my book but is what you said the same as this http ://www. studentxpress.ie/HLProjectMaths/HLSetCsolutions_P2Q6B.pdf. (There's a space after the http and www. because I can't post links)? It looks confusing as f***, i never would have got it

When calculating A and Y, I got 77 for Y but I wasnt sure and I only solved it in rough work at the back pages. Will the examiner give me marks for the answer even though its not written on the page of the question? I also didnt make any reference to the back for the answer but its there

You don't even have to do any work for it tbh :confused:

Wasn't y just 100-23?

And A was just looking at the equation and realising y =A.
    K1ultra wrote: »
    There was no collary 1 in my book but is what you said the same as this http ://www. studentxpress.ie/HLProjectMaths/HLSetCsolutions_P2Q6B.pdf. (There's a space after the http and www. because I can't post links)? It looks confusing as f***, i never would have got it
    Yeah, that's the one.

I think the corollary is just the angles on the same arc bit.

Yeah, that's the one.

I think the corollary is just the angles on the same arc bit.

Thanks looked over it and it's not as difficult as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Question about paper 1, how many points do you get for the right result without showing your work? In the question where they asked for formula for the sum of all odd numbers n, I got it that it is n^2 which is right but I don't have the steps :o so, whats the story with that?

I'm the same as you! Hope we get something XD

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

What did people get for the bridge one ? For the coordinates of points B and D ?

Fiachra17 wrote: »
    What did people get for the bridge one ? For the coordinates of points B and D ?

(10, 5) and (38, 5) I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

(10, 5) and (38, 5) I think.

Thanks a million, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure

Advertisement