Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

How do you bisect the second line of a triangle? I'm completely hopeless at this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

How do you bisect the second line of a triangle? I'm completely hopeless at this :(

Look up how to bisect a line, and just do that with every line of the triangle...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

robman60 wrote: »
    Ok, but I'll be quoting this in August when I don't get an A1. :rolleyes:

Haha if you worked for it you will get it. What did you think of the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maths Help Needed

Can someone please confirm the theorems we need to know really well are 11,12 and 13 ?
    Also are these the only theorems which we need to learn ?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Okay I've been studying all day and haven't looked back through this but if anyone knows if a list of all the statistics definitions we need exists I would be greatful :D

Also since the fiasco with paper 1 and things being on the syllabus and not in active maths book 1, is there anything on the syllabus not covered in the active maths book 2 for this paper??

Muchos thanks

• Advertisement

I still can't do this :( I can do the compass thing to the bottom left point of the triangle and then the bottom right and then I don't get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I still can't do this :( I can do the compass thing to the bottom left point of the triangle and then the bottom right and then I don't get it :(

Is this the bisection of the lines in a triangle? I'll draw out step for steps now for you if you want, the compass is here? I have time.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is this the bisection of the lines in a triangle? I'll draw out step for steps now for you if you want, the compass is here? I have time.

If you have the time I would be so grateful! This is so frustrating :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

Anybody know where i can get the solutions to SEC Sample Paper 2 2014? Thanks

Start with a triangle ABC with lengths 4,4 and 4 for handiness. I've marked off the centre of the line |ac|, you'll see why for a few reasons in a minute.
    NJ8etni.jpg

Place the metal part of the compass at a. As the picture states, place your compass pencil anywhere in that green area, it doesn't matter as long as it's past the red line.
    P7ct14B.jpg

Draw an arc with your compass through anywhere you choose in that green area along the line. DON'T TOUCH YOUR COMPASS AFTER THIS, LEAVE IT AT THE LENGTH IT IS CURRENTLY AT.
    h0TfNba.jpg

Now, move the metal part of the compass to c. Keeping your compass at the same length, draw an arc through the green area shown.
    GtOJnky.jpg

It will look like this:
    e0RNu7k.jpg

Draw a line between where the two arcs intersect. This is the perpendicular bisector of the line.
    3Bap2NI.jpg

You will notice that the bisector goes through the original midpoint of the line I set, which should be the case.

Now, repeat the process using a and b. You will get two lines meeting near the middle of the triangle. This is the circumcentre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lads remember Q2 on Paper 1 about proving the natural numbers n (n+1 ) /2 ?

If I filled into the Sn of an arithmetic series formula without doing the induction stuff would I get any marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Also since the fiasco with paper 1 and things being on the syllabus and not in active maths book 1,

Muchos thanks

Did that really happen? Hopefully they'll skew the marking scheme cause Im fcuked otherwise

Thank You so much! I did it but I don't think its correct :( Why can I not do this. Its the part where you do it with the other line that I can't get :(
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpjz896CEAAaHNd.jpg:large

Thank You so much! I did it but I don't think its correct :( Why can I not do this. Its the part where you do it with the other line that I can't get :(
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpjz896CEAAaHNd.jpg:large

Hey your only missing one thing. You have to draw a line between the intersection the two arcs of the second line, like with the first line. It's where THIS line intersects with the orange line you have there that is the circumcentre.

Thank You SOOOOO much Aspiring!! I am SO grateful!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpj3hGMCIAAz19X.jpg:large

Thank You SOOOOO much Aspiring!! I am SO grateful!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpj3hGMCIAAz19X.jpg:large

It's worrying that your teacher couldn't explain this but an 18 year old with no teaching skills or desire to be a teacher could over the internet :pac:

Looks beautiful btw, I remember my first circumcentre like it was just yesterday.. ;)

It's worrying that your teacher couldn't explain this but an 18 year old with no teaching skills or desire to be a teacher could over the internet :pac:

Looks beautiful btw, I remember my first circumcentre like it was just yesterday.. ;)

I could tell you horror stories about the incompetence of my maths teacher! My pet cat would of been a better teacher than the one I had to put up with for two years :p

Thank You again :D

I could tell you horror stories about the incompetence of my maths teacher! My pet cat would of been a better teacher than the one I had to put up with for two years :p

Thank You again :D

No problem. Just changed the CAO after that emotional episode. I'm going to be a maths teacher because of you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Compared what I wrote down to solutions that I've seen of paper 1....I'll be lucky to get 5% out of it now, complete mess :pac: probably shouldn't have looked at the solutions...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I remember my first circumcentre like it was just yesterday.. ;)
    Most guys do, I guess ....

>_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

The search function on the projectmaths.ie website doesn't do anything, which I think really sums up how well thought out this course was, as a whole.
    Also I'm like 70%) sure that the Irish on the title of the website is wrong as well (it should be mata tioncadail, surely?), but don't hold me to that one.
    No problem. Just changed the CAO after that emotional episode. I'm going to be a maths teacher because of you :pac:

I feel like I have witnessed the start of something wonderful.

Most guys do, I guess ....

>_>

Haha nice, didn't even think it was possible to create an innuendo out of that, but you proved me wrong. What does that say about you 'randy'? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

robman60 wrote: »
    Ok, but I'll be quoting this in August when I don't get an A1. :rolleyes:

Remind me to quote it aswell.
    Compared what I wrote down to solutions that I've seen of paper 1....I'll be lucky to get 5% out of it now, complete mess :pac: probably shouldn't have looked at the solutions...

Just start studying for P2!
    Haha nice, didn't even think it was possible to create an innuendo out of that, but you proved me wrong. What does that say about you 'randy'? :pac:

I was going to but I didn't bother cos I knew he would :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nothing that hasn't been said before! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

eefah wrote: »
    Also I'm like 70%) sure that the Irish on the title of the website is wrong as well (it should be mata tioncadail, surely?), but don't hold me to that one.

We won't. It seems that an event with probability of 0.3 has occurred!

"Project Maths" does not mean "maths of a projecty kind". It is the title of a project. That is, "Project Maths" is the name of a government project, (a project through which they hope to improve maths education in the country). The project involves lots of different things, including changing the syllabus and the exams. Now that phase 3 of the project has washed through the Leaving Cert and nearly through the Junior Cert, this project is nearly complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

We won't. It seems that an event with probability of 0.3 has occurred!

"Project Maths" does not mean "maths of a projecty kind". It is the title of a project. That is, "Project Maths" is the name of a government project, (a project through which they hope to improve maths education in the country). The project involves lots of different things, including changing the syllabus and the exams. Now that phase 3 of the project has washed through the Leaving Cert and nearly through the Junior Cert, this project is nearly complete.

Ah, that makes sense. It's 'project maths' the same way as mission impossible is mission impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Days 298 wrote: »

A maybe but came up last year. New examiner this year Id say hell want to be different.

Don't know where you heard there was a new chief examiner, but it seems highly unlikely. This report from the SEC after last year's problems suggests that there were new people in charge last year; they'd hardly change them again in 2014. Anyway, they say in that report (page 11): "The particular set of circumstances which applied to 2013 is unlikely to be repeated in that the extent of unplanned staff change should not re-occur and..."
    They'd hardly say that if the person in charge of maths was changing for 2014 now would they?
    eefah wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense. It's 'project maths' the same way as mission impossible is mission impossible.

Exactly, as indeed is Project Maths, some might say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

What would be some core topics to focus on in paper 2? Turns out I missed a maths course because I thought it was Sunday, when it was actually on Saturday....depended on it to learn stuff/pass maths :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Conchir wrote: »
    There's a website called studentxpress.ie that has the solutions for Paper One up on it. They're going up gradually, up to question 5 at the moment.

Check at your own peril; I can only half remember my answers so it mightn't be great to look at :P

They're all here if you don't want to wait: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/sets/72157645038676092/
    marno21 wrote: »
    Lads remember Q2 on Paper 1 about proving the natural numbers n (n+1 ) /2 ?

If I filled into the Sn of an arithmetic series formula without doing the induction stuff would I get any marks?

It specifically said to prove by induction so I doubt it. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Is it possible to pass on attempt marks? Those solutions have knocked me back a bit I'm not sure that I got anything right D:

Advertisement