Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Fudge dice wrote: »
    Anybody know where i can get the solutions to SEC Sample Paper 2 2014? Thanks

Yes by any chance does anyone know where I could get these solutions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Awesome thanks.. I didnt get alot of them answers but My methods are right so hopefully Ill get my attempt marks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Did that really happen? Hopefully they'll skew the marking scheme cause Im fcuked otherwise

Yes, as it turns out active maths leaves a lot to be desired:/ nothing actually came up on the paper that wasn't covered by the book, thankfully. I think book 2 is okay though!

Ah markng schemes in project maths... they do what they like with them to engineer their bell curve :rolleyes: if you're worried about failing don't be. I know someone last year who failed every single maths test through 5th year and 6th and got a D1 because of the marking scheme. Because its a new course they don't want too many people failing.

11, 12 and 13 I think :)

hey What book do you use for them we use project maths text and tests 1 to 7 or 8 cant remember anyways apparently one of the theorems is wrong in that book and you wont get full marks if you wrote it down. would you know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

hey What book do you use for them we use project maths text and tests 1 to 7 or 8 cant remember anyways apparently one of the theorems is wrong in that book and you wont get full marks if you wrote it down. would you know anything about this?

That is true .
    Do the theorems from the less stress more success book. They are very good in it .

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    That is true .
    Do the theorems from the less stress more success book. They are very good in it .

Pfft welll I dont have that book lol...Do you know which theorem is wrong or?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The ones you have to proove or one of the other ones?

I just had a quick look at 11,12 and 13 and they looked okay. I must sit down and read it properly though.

I think theorem 20 is wrong. From where it says angle OQP = angle OQR. Or is that just a contradiction proof? :p It's too early for this crap.

Edit: Yes, it is a proof by contradiction! Don't mind me :p

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    The ones you have to proove or one of the other ones?

I just had a quick look at 11,12 and 13 and they looked okay. I must sit down and read it properly though.

But there's definitely a line in theorem 20 that's wrong, I have it marked.

I dont think it wrong mathematically but the marking scheme wont accept it so you wont get full marks for it. The other class got handouts of the right ones our class didn't :mad: Im fairly sure its only one of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maths Help Needed

Do you have to know only theorem's 11, 12 and 13 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Yeah i use the less stress more success book too!

Do you think they might put a rates of change question in paper 2 as like an arera or volume question or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Yeah i use the less stress more success book too!

Do you think they might put a rates of change question in paper 2 as like an arera or volume question or something?

I hope they do! That'd actually be a lovely question, I didn't spend hours learning it for nothing!! :pac:

Have a sneaking suspicion that the proof of a trig identity using De Moivres will crop up, seeming as the formula wasn't tested at all on Paper 1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Does anyone know if you're asked to prove the sine rule, do you have to prove it both ways, with a triangle with an acute angle and with a triangle with an obtuse angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

aleatorio wrote: »
    Have a sneaking suspicion that the proof of a trig identity using De Moivres will crop up, seeming as the formula wasn't tested at all on Paper 1 :o

this would be awesome.

Wouldn't be surprised if some p1 topics appeared heavily in p2. Pythagoras featured so heavily I wouldn't be surprised

this would be awesome.

Paper 1 is all stuff I find easier so I'm praying that all the stuff that was absent on Friday will crop up tomorrow :pac:
    Hoping for a rates of change q, de Moivres proof, a trig derivation, theorem 12 or 13 and a handy construction.. No statistics definitions and an easy Bernoulli trials probability question..
    Dream paper :D

Does anyone know if you're asked to prove the sine rule, do you have to prove it both ways, with a triangle with an acute angle and with a triangle with an obtuse angle?

It was on last years paper and they accepted both ways, so either will do I think :) unless they specify something like 0<=A<=180 or something weird like that :P

Have a feeling the Tan(A+B) one, Sin(A+B) or cosine might crop up :P

aleatorio wrote: »
    Paper 1 is all stuff I find easier so I'm praying that all the stuff that was absent on Friday will crop up tomorrow :pac:
    Hoping for a rates of change q, de Moivres proof, a trig derivation, theorem 12 or 13 and a handy construction.. No statistics definitions and an easy Bernoulli trials probability question..
    Dream paper :D

I don't mind any paper 2 stuff apart from stuff that needs to be rote learned. This isn't maths and has no place on a maths paper at all. But an increase in p1 stuff would be nice! They really could through anything at us!

I don't mind any paper 2 stuff apart from stuff that needs to be rote learned. This isn't maths and has no place on a maths paper at all. But an increase in p1 stuff would be nice! They really could through anything at us!

I don't mind the Mathsy stuff we've to learn off, like the trig derivations or theorems and stuff, but the advantages of surveys and types of sampling has no place on the paper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

this would be awesome.

Wouldn't be surprised if some p1 topics appeared heavily in p2. Pythagoras featured so heavily I wouldn't be surprised

I wouldnt mind it either unless financial maths makes an appearance...then I shall be angry..and you don't want to see me angry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Imagine if a 75 marker financial maths question came up on paper 2! That would be the single most joyous occasion of my life so far, If I won the euro millions on Tuesday night that'd still be the second best thing to happen to me this week

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Does anyone have a list of all the theorems we have to know how to apply? Like the ones with angles in circles and stuff? :)

• Advertisement

Joey!! wrote: »
    Imagine if a 75 marker financial maths question came up on paper 2! That would be the single most joyous occasion of my life so far, If I won the euro millions on Tuesday night that'd still be the second best thing to happen to me this week

Haha, I doubt we'll get a straight 75m on financial, but we could see some thing like, get the area of a room, each tile costs 1 billion euro find the equal monthly installments to pay it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm gonna be that guy but yeah em.. anybody have a list of all the things we need learned off for P2?

I have:
    -trig proofs
    -theorems/constructions
    -statistics theory (cluster sampling, stratified, etc)
    -probability theory
    -derivation of sum to infinity (not sure if even P2)
    -derivation of amortisation formula (again not sure if P2)

What else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

Haha, I doubt we'll get a straight 75m on financial, but we could see some thing like, get the area of a room, each tile costs 1 billion euro find the equal monthly installments to pay it back!

A billion euro?! Where in God's name do you get your tiles?

ShoePolish wrote: »
    A billion euro?! Where in God's name do you get your tiles?

I'm very fancy, I only shop in "Stupid math logic unrealistic questions" Its a really nice boutique tile shop just off Grafton street

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Aspiring wrote: »
    -derivation of sum to infinity (not sure if even P2)
    -derivation of amortisation formula (again not sure if P2)

These should be P1 but after the trig on P1 I guess anything goes :P

OK so was looking through mocks and For question 6A it was theorem 12 and I literately reproduced it except for one small line and I got 9/25 so It Looks like theorem 12 from Project maths text and text 4( the green one :P ) is wrong which I have been told but wasnt sure:( i think the other two are right from what I've been told so can anyone Maybe scan theorem 12 or have a website for it I was looking but I was unsuccessful any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
    EDIT www.projectmaths.ie/students/cd-strand1and2/docs/theorem12.ppsx this the one people are using? Mine looks different to that so is it that one we use?

Does anybody know if New Concise Project Maths 5 is grand for the theorems? They look right but it's hard to tell :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Aspiring wrote: »
    Does anybody know if New Concise Project Maths 5 is grand for the theorems? They look right but it's hard to tell :pac:

They only have 16 onwards? I couldnt find the early ones at all when I looked a few weeks ago?

The central limit theorem?!?!?

• Advertisement

Days 298 wrote: »
    They only have 16 onwards? I couldnt find the early ones at all when I looked a few weeks ago?

Theorem 11, 12 and 13 on pages 252, 253 and 254 respectively.

Advertisement