Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Is there anything to have learned off besides trig proofs theorems and constructions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Ok I'm after hearing that margin of error has changed to like 1.96 root of the standard deviation over n, is this true? I always thought it was 1/root n ?

Also could someone tell me how to find the median from a histogram? Is there a certain formula?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Is there anything to have learned off besides trig proofs theorems and constructions ??
    Well theory on statistics like What types of sampling. that's it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

aleatorio wrote: »
    This is from the Examcraft mock and I think it's the Central Limit theory?

'400 samples of size 10 are taken from a production line producing jars of gravy. The mean weight of a jar is 200g with a standard deviation of 1.5g. Calculate the limits between which you would expect 95% of the sample mean to lie'

I know the formula for the mean of the sample is the SD divided by the sample size, but is the sample size 10 or 400(10)?

And then it would just be 200+/- 2 standard deviations.. Yeah....? :o

I dunno if this is ever mentioned in LC, but the reason 400 is important is that if the number of samples is greater than 30, then the distribution will be a normal distribution.

If less than 30, you have to use a different set of tables.
    Aspiring wrote: »
    Didn't know you could do standard deviation on your calculator till now... It's pretty much the same as finding correlation coefficient except easier.

Be very careful with this.... do you use a button with Sx written on it to calculate the standard deviation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm sure this has been asked previously, but are there any solutions available for the 2014 sample papers? I'm flummoxed with questions 4 and 5 but I haven't found anything yet. I'll pay a few euro if necessary because if that question on the circle comes up I won't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

allyb17 wrote: »
    Ok I'm after hearing that margin of error has changed to like 1.96 root of the standard deviation over n, is this true? I always thought it was 1/root n ?

Also could someone tell me how to find the median from a histogram? Is there a certain formula?

Thanks in advance

I think I did a question like that where it was like a set of races and they gave you 3 Histograms..There wasnt like a formula you just need to know if is positive/negative skew then you'll know that either mean>median>mode or vice versa and use that knowledge to make an educated guess. If Im wrong someone tell me cause thats just me if theres a actual way Id love to hear it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked previously, but are there any solutions available for the 2014 sample papers? I'm flummoxed with questions 4 and 5 but I haven't found anything yet. I'll pay a few euro if necessary because if that question on the circle comes up I won't have a clue.

http://www.studentxpress.ie/HLProjectMaths/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Ompala wrote: »
    I dunno if this is ever mentioned in LC, but the reason 400 is important is that if the number of samples is greater than 30, then the distribution will be a normal distribution.

If less than 30, you have to use a different set of tables.

Be very careful with this.... do you use a button with Sx written on it to calculate the standard deviation?

Oh really? I was wondering why they said the 400 part :o thanks! :)

Oh really? I was wondering why they said the 400 part :o thanks! :)

I could go on... but I don't want to be remembered as the guy who confused the hell out of you the night before your maths exam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

They haven't asked for a proof of a trig identity yet on project maths... Perhaps this could be the year! Hopefully anyway because I spent so long learning them...

• Advertisement

I think I did a question like that where it was like a set of races and they gave you 3 Histograms..There wasnt like a formula you just need to know if is positive/negative skew then you'll know that either mean>median>mode or vice versa and use that knowledge to make an educated guess. If Im wrong someone tell me cause thats just me if theres a actual way Id love to hear it :p

I thought so! Thanks a mill, what do you know as the margin of error formula though I don't know which to use :(

I could go on... but I don't want to be remembered as the guy who confused the hell out of you the night before your maths exam :pac:

This isn't on the LC course anyway. We only use z-scores.

Ah sure go on, I like maths I won't be too confused I'm sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Really really hope its a nice paper tomorrow

FatRat wrote: »
    This isn't on the LC course anyway. We only use z-scores.

Look away now! :P
    Ah sure go on, I like maths I won't be too confused I'm sure :pac:

Basically you use a different distribution known as the t distribution when the number of samples is less than 30. It allows greater variation in your data when conducting hypostesis tests or confidence intervals, as well as if you had to use linear regression. It can also follow that you can pool sample sizes etc with it. The larger the sample size gets the distribution converges towards the normal distribution.

Now I'm only in Engineering so maybe some Mathematicians could correct me, but thats the bones of it. But it won't be on the paper tomorrow so no need to worry about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Separate line and circle questions would be lovely :pac: 50 marks in the bag straight off.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Separate line and circle questions would be lovely :pac: 50 marks in the bag straight off.

The more geometry the better for me too! I hope the test is riddled with it, along with a construction and a proof!

Look away now! :P

Basically you use a different distribution known as the t distribution when the number of samples is less than 30. It allows greater variation in your data when conducting hypostesis tests or confidence intervals, as well as if you had to use linear regression. It can also follow that you can pool sample sizes etc with it. The larger the sample size gets the distribution converges towards the normal distribution.

Now I'm only in Engineering so maybe some Mathematicians could correct me, but thats the bones of it. But it won't be on the paper tomorrow so no need to worry about it :D

Ah that doesn't seem too nasty, I don't think you've compromised my mind for tomorrow :pac:

Least now I'll remember that if they ask something about sample sizes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Ah that doesn't seem too nasty, I don't think you've compromised my mind for tomorrow :pac:

Least now I'll remember that if they ask something about sample sizes :pac:

Also worth noting that if the sample size itself is too small (less than 10ish) and the original population was not normally distributed, the CLT can't be used - that does appear to be on the course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone else hoping for a 300 mark enlargement question?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Anyone else hoping for a 300 mark enlargement question?

Me!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Good luck everyone.! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Popkornetto

I take it nobody's out yet? Seems like a good sign.

BEAUTIFUL PAPER WOO loved loved it; thank god I got that up on P 1

That went nowhere as well as paper 1... Couldn't do some parts at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I found it worse than paper 2 DEB mock.... so it was a DISASTER :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I swear if anyone says that was an easy paper…

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Grand paper, couldn't get my head around that lune at all!

• Advertisement

After all the speculation what actually came up?

Advertisement