Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hardly everything is it? Sounds a bit easy :pac:

That's it all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Do you know what never comes up? Arithmetic! Just thinking about there..Theres a whole chapter dedicated to it but they never test it, imagine getting a question on JC stuff like tax and universal social charge!! Too easy I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Do we think it'll be a handy paper to keep boosting the Honours Maths numbers or will they just fúck us over :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Do we think it'll be a handy paper to keep boosting the Honours Maths numbers or will they just fúck us over :pac:

It just has to be easy.... Otherwise I'm fecked.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    It just has to be easy.... Otherwise I'm fecked.

I got a C in the first mock (DEB)
    I got a B in the second mock (Examcraft)
    My mathematical senses point to an A here ;)

I'm only messing, I'd love a B tho! :p

You'll do grand lad, look at last year, easy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Colleges are saying the standard of maths has gone way down recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

they'll want to show that all the mistakes in last years paper didn't impact on anyones result so, it'll be pretty much the exact same difficulty of last year.... I hope anyways!

they'll want to show that all the mistakes in last years paper didn't impact on anyones result so, it'll be pretty much the exact same difficulty of last year.... I hope anyways!

Even if not, we'll get the grade we deserve at the end of the day.

Not surprised the standard of maths has gone down. However, the maths you tend to be doing in college is quite different to what we do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

How do you prove the Amortisation formula? I don't remember learning how and can't find it in my book

Even if not, we'll get the grade we deserve at the end of the day.

Not surprised the standard of maths has gone down. However, the maths you tend to be doing in college is quite different to what we do :pac:

yeah i heard now they have to run extra modules to cover the stuff thats been left out of the project maths course

• Advertisement

XtotheZ wrote: »
    yeah i heard now they have to run extra modules to cover the stuff thats been left out of the project maths course

They had a choice really: Have a high standard of maths or, have a lot of people doing higher level maths.

Quite clear which was picked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Eh, how does one derive the sum to infinity formula? :o

Also, was looking through a few Alison.com videos and they said the proof of amortirisation isn't on the course! As for binomal expansion, it says it is on the syllabus at the start of educate exam papers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daaniellerc

Can I be right in saying that co-ordinate geometry of the line/circle can come up in paper 1? Such as asking you to find the equation of a tangent to a curve at a given point?

Eh, how does one derive the sum to infinity formula? :o

Also, was looking through a few Alison.com videos and they said the proof of amortirisation isn't on the course! As for binomal expansion, it says it is on the syllabus at the start of educate exam papers anyways.

derive Amortisation is on the course, our teacher put a good bit of emphasis on it. Binomial expansion is also on the course and our teacher also put a good bit of emphasis on it.

Binomial expansion is handy enough

I also need the sum to infinity, greatly appreciated :D if anyone has a link for it

Sum to infinity & amortisation proofs here
    Can I be right in saying that co-ordinate geometry of the line/circle can come up in paper 1? Such as asking you to find the equation of a tangent to a curve at a given point?

No that's only paper two :)

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Is that your writing?

Is that your writing?

Yep

Yep

So damn neat, thanks btw :)

Thanks for the sum to infinity.

Does anyone have anything on the trigonometric formulas you have to derive?

Those are all paper two but here's all the trig proofs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

They're all in the book.

End of it here since I can't attach another pic to that post

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

could anyone please explain the difference between injective surjective and bijective ? only bit of paper one thats dogey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For the sum to infinity is it necessary to separate it into the two fractions? In my book it just let's r^n = 0 and that's it :o

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the sum to infinity is it necessary to separate it into the two fractions? In my book it just let's r^n = 0 and that's it :o

Haven't a clue but if your book has it that way you should be fine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

No that's only paper two :)

Equation of a line: y-y1= m(x-x1)
    Slop of a line: y= mx+c

Knowledge of those formula can be needed in the Calculus question, if they ask a question regarding a tangent to the curve, m being the slope of the tangent aka dy/dx.

2012 6(b), for example: http:// examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/LC003ALP130EV .pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

could anyone please explain the difference between injective surjective and bijective ? only bit of paper one thats dogey
    You should probably look it up in your book, as it explains it in more detail, but I'll give it in simple terms.

Injective: Each input gives a unique output. This means no two inputs give an identical output

Surjective: codomain=range

Bijective: Both injective and surjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

derive Amortisation is on the course, our teacher put a good bit of emphasis on it. Binomial expansion is also on the course and our teacher also put a good bit of emphasis on it.

Binomial expansion is handy enough

I also need the sum to infinity, greatly appreciated :D if anyone has a link for it
    Oh holy sh!te is amortisation proof 100% definitely on the course! ! Our teaher never even mentioned it to us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

(This is me testing myself to see if I can remember :pac:)

I believe surjective means that a horizontal line can intersect it more than once, all y values have to have at least one corresponding x value (so, it can't have asymptotes or whatnot), think something along the lines of a cubic equation

Then injective means that it has to have only one, or no, corresponding y values, so a horizontal line will either intersect it once or not at all, not all y values need to have an x value

Then bijective is essentially a combination of the two, it means every y value has one, and only one, x value, and every y value is corresponding to an x value, something along the lines of say, a straight line graph, a horizontal line will cut it only once :P

Can someone confirm if all this is correct...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

Our teachers gave us a list of learning stuff and I'd recommend to learn before tomorrow;
    How to construct root 2 and 3
    Proof of de moivres theorem by induction
    Proof by contradiction (there's about 8 examples) incl.
    Prove the sum of 2 odd numbers is always even
    Prove of geometric series by induction
    Differentiation by first principles formula
    I think that's it :) if you have these down at least if one of these comes up you'll feel more at ease with it . Hope this helps!

Advertisement