Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Don't understand how anyone found that easy when everyone was complaining about the first paper, I actually liked the first paper but I thought the majority of that was horrible, only questions I'm confident about are 1 and the theorem

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    What did you guys get for q7 (i think), the last part, about Drug B? in the previous part I said that Drug A treats more patients than the generic drug, (I think it was something around 57%-63%).. If I remember correctly, I just took the maximum value I got in the previous part, which was like 63.xx % and multiplayed that by 500..

also in the q6, what did you say about the statement "something something, government's income and expenditure, something". Myself, I did this part with like 30sec. left, and said that as the numbers changed from 2006 to 2011 it would be more difficult to calculate the income and expenditure as numbers changed. Also noted that the gov. income was tax, and expenditure was social welfare..

Is that how you get that bit of drug b? Damn I think I used 49% cuz drug a was the successfully one (51%). ugh. This is annoying me now.

I think I said that: black economy has increased and social welfare payment has also increased. And I said something about % difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

fairly sure it was -551,551.

No it was [-311,311]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Q1 - Grand
    Q2 - I got 2.5 radians as well.
    Q3 - I forgot what it was :o Probability? It was a bit iffy but I got 0.2 for the last part
    Q4 - Part 2 was horrible, didn't finish it
    Q5 - I didn't get the last part, rest was fine
    Q6 - Theorem 13. Need I say more?

Q7 - It took a bit of careful reading but it was fine. I didn't get to finish the prediction for 2014
    Q8 - It was fine. For hypothesis test, I got Drug A was more effective. What was the last part?
    Q9 - Nice question but same as you, I ran out of time and didn't get to the last part. I think I got 13 for the square one, I may have messed that up.

Q2 yeah that was the spinner one with the expected payout and stuff, spinner B was better for the charity yeah? :o
    I can't remember what I got for the last part :/
    I agree that Q4 was horrible :(

For 2014 I feel I made my prediction a bit simple.. I just found the difference between 2012 and 2013 and added it on to 2013 and wrote (assuming a linear relationship) beside it :pac:
    I got drug A too woooo :L

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

aleatorio wrote: »
    I said the same thing for the government q, I said the numbers in work had decreased which decreased income from tax, and the number unemployed had increased which meant more expenditure on social welfare :P

For the two groups who wouldn't be part of the labor force I said disabled people and people in full time education.. Any validity there? :o

Yeah and I think retired elderly would be included in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Popkornetto

I've not seen the paper but, reading some of the comments, it's sounding like this was very close to being an economics paper.

Theorem 13, though - I bet you were all delighted when you saw that!

Edit: For "not in the labour force", if I remember correctly, the following groups count:
    1. Retired people,
    2. Children under the age of 16,
    3. Those in full-time education who are not looking for a job,
    4. Disabled people - or people who are otherwise unable to look for a job,
    5. People who have not actively searched for a job in the past 4-6 weeks.
    In brief, anybody between the ages of 16 and 64 who is not employed or looking for a job.

Of course, depending on how the question was phrased (there are a few very slightly different definitions of "labour force"), some of these might not be correct answers to the question.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

lso in the q6, what did you say about the statement "something something, government's income and expenditure, something". Myself, I did this part with like 30sec. left, and said that as the numbers changed from 2006 to 2011 it would be more difficult to calculate the income and expenditure as numbers changed. Also noted that the gov. income was tax, and expenditure was social welfare..

More people employed = more revenue for the govt through income tax, more VAT from increased public spending and fewer people unemployed meaning less money spent on social welfare.

Any of those 2 would get you marks.

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    No it was [-311,311]

Was 311 the number infront of the sintheta part? If so, it was definately 311! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

I got 13 for the square side length too.

I think for drug b, you're supposed to take the generic drug's probability of being successful(0.51) and add on the margin of error.(Like in the confidence interval) Because that would be the maximum value drug b could have and still be within the range that causes you to accept the null hypothesis.

Then multiply that number by 500. (I think I got 255?)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

God, I hate this unpure, ugly, man-made, manufactured, pseudomathematical statististics and probability stuff.

P2 killed any hopes I had of getting an A1 :(

• Advertisement

Q2 yeah that was the spinner one with the expected payout and stuff, spinner B was better for the charity yeah? :o
    I can't remember what I got for the last part :/
    I agree that Q4 was horrible :(

Umm..There was probably one that was better for the charity but I don't think they expected you to work it out.

I wrote spinner A because it has a higher chance of not winning anything. Why did you say B?

As long as you have a valid point, you should get the marks for it.

Umm..There was probably one that was better for the charity but I don't think they expected you to work it out.

I wrote spinner A because it has a higher chance of not winning anything. Why did you say B?

I worked out the expected value (pay out per turn) and spinner B paid out less overall so I said that was better as their profits would be higher..? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Spinner B had a lower expected value meaning more money was going to the charity so I said that one!

I worked out the expected value (pay out per turn) and spinner B paid out less overall so I said that was better as their profits would be higher..? :o

Was there even enough space for that? :P

I just saw "Give a reason why you think" or something and just gave an opinion.

The last part was a Bernoulli trial, right?

Was there even enough space for that? :P

I just saw "Give a reason why you think" or something and just gave an opinion.

The last part was a Bernoulli trial, right?

Sure it was just (1/5) times each of the values added together, or (1/6) times each of values added together :o

Yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I was so disappointed I couldnt get the radians in q2... how did u's do it ? I had l=r(theta) and then was stuck after that? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

I was so disappointed I couldnt get the radians in q2... how did u's do it ? I had l=r(theta) and then was stuck after that? :(

Let the length Kate ran = (R+0.6)angle + 3 and let the length Helen ran = (R+1.8)angle and equate them

I let the inner circle's radius equal to r

l = (r + 0.6)ϑ for the first one
    l = (r + 1.8)ϑ for the second one

The larger one was 3m longer so
    ϑr + 0.6ϑ + 3 = ϑr + 1.8ϑ
    1.2ϑ = 3
    ϑ = 2.5 rads

I let the inner circle's radius equal to r

l = (r + 0.6)ϑ for the first one
    l = (r + 1.8)ϑ for the second one

The larger one was 3m longer so
    ϑr + 0.6ϑ + 3 = ϑr + 1.8ϑ
    1.2ϑ = 3
    ϑ = 2.5 rads

I'm so relieved I got that right <3
    I'm bad with radians so when I got 2.5 I was like eh wat. That's tiny :o
    Now I understand that it makes sense... :pac:

I'm so relieved I got that right <3
    I'm bad with radians so when I got 2.5 I was like eh wat. That's tiny :o
    Now I understand that it makes sense... :pac:

Or maybe we all got it wrong :o

It does make sense though, should be okay.

• Advertisement

Or maybe we all got it wrong :o

It does make sense though, should be okay.

Nah sure that's like 140ish degrees which is plausible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

What did people get for how many ways the guy won 8 euro from spinner A I got 10 but I reckon it's wrong :L I'm awful with permutations

Nah sure that's like 140ish degrees which is plausible :P

Yeah, it looked like the right angle.
    FHB wrote: »
    I got 13 for the square side length too.

Same. I got 12.2 or something. Rounded it up to 13 because it said smallest whole number.

Everyone I ask got different numbers. 10, 14, 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Only one way he could get 8 euro on the spinner, that was getting 5 euro and 3 euro i think

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

What the fu*k was "circle j"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

iFreeley wrote: »
    Only one way he could get 8 euro on the spinner, that was getting 5 euro and 3 euro i think

But he played it 4 times so he may have got 5 then 3 on first and second go, I got 10 different ways he could have got 5 and 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

allyb17 wrote: »
    But he played it 4 times so he may have got 5 then 3 on first and second go, I got 10 different ways he could have got 5 and 3?

didnt think of that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

What did people get for how many ways the guy won 8 euro from spinner A I got 10 but I reckon it's wrong :L I'm awful with permutations

I thought that question was a bit unclear. By "ways" did they mean combinations, or combinations including orders?

Like, there were three combinations which gave you €8. €5, €3, first €0, second €0. €5, €3, first €0, first €0. And €5, €3, second €0, second €0.

But then are you supposed to multiply 3 by 4! to get the possible orders as well? That's what I did anyway.

I got 24 I just did 4P4 :o

For the circle square q I'm like 96% sure that l is 17 after doing out the q again :o

• Advertisement

I got 12.

I'm after writing out 12 possibilies too and I can't think of any more.

Advertisement