Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

aleatorio wrote: »
    I got 24 I just did 4P4 :o

For the circle square q I'm like 96% sure that l is 17 after doing out the q again :o

I think the fact that there were 2 zero's would affect the answer no? I got 18....its quite likely that I didnt get a single question right tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

aleatorio wrote: »
    I got 24 I just did 4P4 :o

For the circle square q I'm like 96% sure that l is 17 after doing out the q again :o

Just realized I found the diagonal length. **** it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

I got 24 as well :/ I did 4! which gave me 4x3x2x1 =24 but because there are two zeros I think the answer is 12.
    I got 2.5 radians for that question as most people here :)
    13 for the side of that square in the clock!

Overall questions 1-6 were okay. Section B was quite confusing is some parts :/ Didn't had time to attempt Q9 last part :( It was worse than my P1, but not too much... I hope for a B1 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

That is 6, giving a total of 12 when you do the same but reverse 5 and 3.
    Its not 4! because the two zeros are the same to us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think the OL Q6 was probably harder than our one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Im sure most people can say P2 was much easier than P1. Hopefully aiming for a High D/Low C after that paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xoxuxxexaxi

This was the first time I finished my entire paper2 ^_^.
    So glad I did every single q

But a pity about the prob one which you all say it should be 12 rather than4! 😕

I am 200 percent sure the square length in q9 is 13. (☆_☆)happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Im sure most people can say P2 was much easier than P1

What???

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    What???

I thought so anyway, so did everyone else I talked to

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I got 12.

I'm after writing out 12 possibilies too and I can't think of any more.

Ahh, I got 10 even though I wrote them out. :(

That was a pretty good paper though, I hope it makes up for my horrible performance in paper 1 and brings me up to a pass at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I got 12.

I'm after writing out 12 possibilies too and I can't think of any more.

F*** I got 10, damn you Nim haha, do you think I'll be ok mark wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gcc ct96

allyb17 wrote: »

I got 24 because the two zeros are different sectors therefore 0035 and 0035 are different if you switch the order of the sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

its only like 5marks :P

allyb17 wrote: »

It'll only be 10 marks max so don't worry. Did you write 10 out? If it's clear that you attempted it and worked out 10 different posibilities, they will give you attempt marks. If you just wrote 10 without anything else, I'm not sure.

A lot of people did 4x3x2x1. That's still a first step and should give attempt marks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

anyone else pushed for time? i think i got ~180/300 but i'm certain i would have gotten maybe 50 more if i'd had another 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

nunchuks wrote: »
    anyone else pushed for time? i think i got ~180/300 but i'm certain i would have gotten maybe 50 more if i'd had another 20 minutes

Yes, very annoyed by it too. Nearly died when I realised the exam ends at 12, not 12.30.

Yeah, time was an issue as usual. I had left small parts of some questions to the end and I only got to reading the last part of Q9 before the bell went so I didn't get to go back and do them.

If I had 10 more minutes, I would have had an answer for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Hadent a notion of the last question. But overall very handy paper same as paper one, i dont think we can complain

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

That was tricky, totally preferred paper 1, does anybody know how to do the last part of question 9 with the lunes and the area of the triangle it really confused me and I can't find anybody who answered it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Mario95 wrote: »
    God, I hate this unpure, ugly, man-made, manufactured, pseudomathematical statististics and probability stuff.

P2 killed any hopes I had of getting an A1 :(

I'm the opposite, I completely resent those geometry/trigonometry questions but for me probability is lovely - just pure logic, and don't get me started on the statistics, they're pretty much throwing marks at you! All you had to do was take numbers from a table!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Made some very simple mistakes,hopefully wont effect me too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Gcc ct96 wrote: »
    I got 24 because the two zeros are different sectors therefore 0035 and 0035 are different if you switch the order of the sectors

Is this right? I remember our teacher saying that it doesn't matter if there's two sectors, only the number counts...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cggreene

Definitely, I got most of it done, but near the end I had to pick some questions over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I thought that was an awful lot easier than paper 1 but that is probably because I am going for about a C while the people saying it was hard are probably going for A's or B's. There was a lot of easy bits in it like constructing the 60 degree angle and two types of people not in the workforce( don't know why that question was in a maths paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

The whole idea of Project Maths was to get people thinking,yet shove as many questions into 2 and a half hours as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cggreene

I've not seen the paper but, reading some of the comments, it's sounding like this was very close to being an economics paper.

Theorem 13, though - I bet you were all delighted when you saw that!

Edit: For "not in the labour force", if I remember correctly, the following groups count:
    1. Retired people,
    2. Children under the age of 16,
    3. Those in full-time education who are not looking for a job,
    4. Disabled people - or people who are otherwise unable to look for a job,
    5. People who have not actively searched for a job in the past 4-6 weeks.
    In brief, anybody between the ages of 16 and 64 who is not employed or looking for a job.

Of course, depending on how the question was phrased (there are a few very slightly different definitions of "labour force"), some of these might not be correct answers to the question.

I put office workers and teachers, would that be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xoxuxxexaxi

otpmb wrote: »
    That was tricky, totally preferred paper 1, does anybody know how to do the last part of question 9 with the lunes and the area of the triangle it really confused me and I can't find anybody who answered it correctly.

you should find the area of 3 semicircles, then say shaded lunes= (area of two small semi circles )minus(big semicircle minus the area of triangle )

n.b.you should work out what is in the bracket then do the subtraction!!!

You must use the area of triangle as a+b+c over 2. Finally everything cancels except a+b+c over 2

QED:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I feel like some fool, wrote 1 for the possibilities of getting 8 in the wheel thing. only realised afterwards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Is this right? I remember our teacher saying that it doesn't matter if there's two sectors, only the number counts...

Curious myself, technically both ways are right. I don't think we'll be docked down too many marks anyway if it's not the right one. What was the bernoulli trial? Was it 6C2 method or
    the (5C1 * 1/6) method? I did both but scribbled out 6C2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

For the probability wheel thing, I just wrote out all methods for getting it, like 4P4 or 4C4 etc and lightly scribbled out a few and left one :pac: They give you marks if you scribbled out the right answer, I think?

Advertisement