Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Does anyone else hate reading through this thread? Ignorance is bliss and all that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

otpmb wrote: »
    That was tricky, totally preferred paper 1, does anybody know how to do the last part of question 9 with the lunes and the area of the triangle it really confused me and I can't find anybody who answered it correctly.
    I did this question first so probably why I answered it right ( I think)
    But area of lunes is (area of 2 semi circles) -(area of bigger semicircle-area of triangle) so multiply it out and you get it equal to area of the triangle :pac:

K6Y wrote: »
    Curious myself, technically both ways are right. I don't think we'll be docked down too many marks anyway if it's not the right one. What was the bernoulli trial? Was it 6C2 method or
    the (5C1 * 1/6) method? I did both but scribbled out 6C2

What was the question, how many different combinations possible? If that was it I'd say 12...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chelliam1

in the drug test if the null hypothesis was accepted then doesn't that mean b was more successful than the generic drug and therefore the maximum cured would have been 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Will I lose marks if I didn't use the expected value formula for the spinner question?

I worked out the probability that the charity would make a profit, break even, or make a loss for each spinner and then picked B because it had a higher probability of making a profit on each spin than A and a smaller probability of making a loss than A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 _Billieee

chelliam1 wrote: »
    in the drug test if the null hypothesis was accepted then doesn't that mean b was more successful than the generic drug and therefore the maximum cured would have been 500?

I wrote that too! It seemed like they phrased the question wrong - the "greatest amount of successful trials" is just the entire sample size, no?

Kyro wrote: »
    Will I lose marks if I didn't use the expected value formula for the spinner question?

I worked out the probability that the charity would make a profit, break even, or make a loss for each spinner and then picked B because it had a higher probability of making a profit on each spin than A and a smaller probability of making a loss than A.

No, the whole point or project maths is using your head to get an answer :p Just because you did it one way doesn't make it any less valid than anyone else's, I used trial and error for a lot of P1 just because I felt it was safer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xoxuxxexaxi

Kyro wrote: »

I suppose you won't , but it is a winding way and i wonder if you have enough time

_Billieee wrote: »
    I wrote that too! It seemed like they phrased the question wrong - the "greatest amount of successful trials" is just the entire sample size, no?

When I saw that question I went back and changed my null hypothesis to be that the generic drug was more successful than Drug A because 500 seemed way too wrong to be right.. it seemed like a stupid question really..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chelliam1

how'd everyone get the expected figures for 2014's employment? I used to percentage increase from 2012 to 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 xoxuxxexaxi

chelliam1 wrote: »
    how'd everyone get the expected figures for 2014's employment? I used to percentage increase from 2012 to 2013.
    I just wrote the figure that is easy to calculate. Smart !^=^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Gcc ct96 wrote: »
    I got 24 because the two zeros are different sectors therefore 0035 and 0035 are different if you switch the order of the sectors

24 is the right answer .
    I said 4 factorial . And then worked it out .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cggreene wrote: »
    I put office workers and teachers, would that be correct?

Both office workers and teachers are very much employed in the labour force.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

For the probability wheel question, a lot of people are saying 12 or 24, but I'm nearly sure it is 48 (assuming that two ways are different if the spinner lands on different zeros; otherwise it is 12).

As Nimrod 7 pointed out, there are twelve combinations ignoring the different zeroes:

But we should multiply this by 4, not 2, because the first zero in each combination above could come from either the left-zero-segment or the right-zero-segment, and so could the second zero. So the answer is 12x2x2 = 48.
    If anyone sees a problem with this please tell me, but I think I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Both office workers and teachers are very much employed in the labour force.

people working at hom ie farmers and students?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ClovisI

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    24 is the right answer .
    I said 4 factorial . And then worked it out .

I think 24 is only right if you assume it has to land on two different zeros, but it could land on the same one twice...

I really think they should have clarified that spinner question better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Theyll probably end up accepting both I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I wrote the null hypothesis as "The drug is not more succesful" only to be told afterwards that that's the alternate hypothesis not the hull hypothesis! I got the whole question correct apart from that so I'm very annoyed by it. Will it matter much? I did the two parts to that assuming that that was the null hypothesis.

Also what did everyone get for q8 part a iii where it asked for the probability that he has the disease if he tested positive? Is this conditional probability? As in AlB

aleatorio wrote: »
    Theyll probably end up accepting both I'd say :pac:

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me.

When will the paper be up? I'd like to look at it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

FatRat wrote: »
    I wrote the null hypothesis as "The drug is not more succesful" only to be told afterwards that that's the alternate hypothesis not the hull hypothesis! I got the whole question correct apart from that so I'm very annoyed by it. Will it matter much? I did the two parts to that assuming that that was the null hypothesis.

Also what did everyone get for q8 part a iii where it asked for the probability that he has the disease if he tested positive? Is this conditional probability? As in AlB

I used conditional probability :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Lovely paper. Last part of last question stumped me but very nice overall

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Thought paper 2 was lovely in fairness, only difficulty was proving the trig identity and the very last question but mostly straightforward :)
    For the coordinate geometry was the 2nd equation found by swapping the y and x intercepts? Hadn't see that before but it looked right when I did it!
    Got 12 for the spinner (4 * 3 * 1 * 1)
    The drug B, since we had no data on its effectiveness other than it being greater than 51% wouldn't it treat 500 at max?
    Emm trying to think if anything else was weird, some of the statistics stuff felt a bit dodgy but I think I managed to make a decent argument for most of my points.
    Feel I might have scraped a B overall after a not great paper 1 :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I just got shown the last part of the last question. Kinda angry with myself for not doing it.

Damn you SEC and your two and a half hours!! :mad:
    XtotheZ wrote: »

Farmers are in the labour force. I don't think students who are neither working not seeking work are in it.

You're over thinking this. The labour force is the number of people in a country that's available for work. This excludes children, retired people, disabled people etc. who aren't working and aren't available for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

XtotheZ wrote: »
    The are in the work force. Anyone earning money through work is in the labour force. Students with part time jobs are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

FHB wrote: »
    I thought that question was a bit unclear. By "ways" did they mean combinations, or combinations including orders?

Like, there were three combinations which gave you €8. €5, €3, first €0, second €0. €5, €3, first €0, first €0. And €5, €3, second €0, second €0.

But then are you supposed to multiply 3 by 4! to get the possible orders as well? That's what I did anyway.

I underlined "ways" to highlight the ambiguity to the examiner. It wasn't 100% clear what was meant.

My answer said something along the lines of "there's only one way to win €8 - landing on €5 once, €3 once, and €0 twice, but if you take order into account..." And then proceeded to erroneously calculate the permutations cos I forgot about the 2 €0s.

Hopefully because of the ambiguity they'll accept the first part or give me partial credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aleatorio wrote: »
    I used conditional probability :)

OK well I have a question for you.. I did that but my answer was so tiny that I thought it was wrong so I crossed it out! It was still visible and I made a puny attempt to get an answer a different way. Will they accept the bit I crossed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I thought this paper was a lot nicer than paper 1! I found it a little tight for time, and I didn't do well in that question about voltage at all. The last part of question nine looked farcically hard and I didn't have time to answer it. I made some miserable attempt but I can imagine they'll give marks for any reasonable attempt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    More people employed = more revenue for the govt through income tax, more VAT from increased public spending and fewer people unemployed meaning less money spent on social welfare.

Any of those 2 would get you marks.

I said that fewer employed meant less tax and more social welfare to be paid, but I wasn't sure if that was the same point, so I added that the number of under-15s increased so they had to pay more in child benefit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Agh, this is why I prefer paper 1. So many things are so ambiguous on paper 2. There'll probably be a few questions here where they end up accepting multiple answers due to the ambiguous nature of the questions.

I realise now that I can't just multiply 4! by 3, because when the two €0's are from the same sector, there aren't 4! different orders. I'm too tired to be bothered to work out what it's actually supposed to be though.

Advertisement