Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Actually what did you guys get for the conditional probability of a true positive in the disease test? I think I had around .06 which seemed too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I'm so angry about all the stats and probability and the the lack of time. That's my hope of an A down the drain :/
    What was that trig question though seriously?? Ran out of time and just had to move on. Didn't made a huge mistake with the table so redoing it took me 10minutes. I didn't even read the question after standard deviation, just left it blank and moved on :( the only question I likes was the last one and other peoole didn't finish that so it's likely the last parts will be worth about 5 marks... anyway, rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

What was the standard deviation for voltage? I got something mad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

Could someone got through the proof of Cos2A?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

deadpixel wrote: »
    Actually what did you guys get for the conditional probability of a true positive in the disease test? I think I had around .06 which seemed too small?

Same as me!! Was very confused by it as it didn't seem right :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

allyb17 wrote: »

219 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

A lot trickier than paper 1. Long coordinate geometry question was a surprise, the value for l was the trickiest I think. Last part of Q9 was a bit mad! Line question last part was tricky. Spent a nice bit of time on it and got out positive numbers anyway! Wasn't a nice paper in my opinion. The questions were riddled with ambiguity and errors so that will be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

I got 220 volts. I'm not sure if it's right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishgirl2014

Did the theorem question with the contruction wrong :/ can you get attempt marks or it it just an automatic 0 ?

ian5005 wrote: »
    Could someone got through the proof of Cos2A?

Cos2A = cos(A+A)
    Cos (A+A) = cosAcosA - sinAsinA
    =cos^2A-sin^2A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Hotale.com wrote: »
    219 I think?

I couldn't get my calculator to work right in the exam so I guessed 212 haha, wonder if I'll get away with a slip? :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think the chance of someone having the disease was so low that you were actually more than 10 times likely to get a false positive test from someone who was well than a real positive from someone who was diseased.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I got that too! I said that I wouldn't recommend using the test because more people who don't have the illness would test positively than people who actually did, which makes sense because if 99.7% of people (or whatever it was) don't have it, but 4% of those people will test positive anyway, a hell of a lot of people are going to test positive compared to the 0.3% of the total population who actually have it.

Phew that sounds like my answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

FatRat wrote: »
    OK well I have a question for you.. I did that but my answer was so tiny that I thought it was wrong so I crossed it out! It was still visible and I made a puny attempt to get an answer a different way. Will they accept the bit I crossed out?

If it's visible, id say so :)

I got 6.4% I think which seemed reasonable considering that such a large proportion were false positives :pac:

It would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't 220, given that that's the standard output voltage of your AC mains, and given that it gave an approximate k value of root 2, which those of us who do Physics should recognise from root mean squared calculations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Oh and congratulations to everyone who sat the paper! May the marking schemes be forever in your favour! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

I suppose you won't , but it is a winding way and i wonder if you have enough time

It's not really, it only took a few seconds? 3/6 profit, 1/6 break even, 2/6 loss. 2/5 profit, 1/5 break even, and 2/5 loss.

Very simple and quick?

MegGustaa wrote: »
    It would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't 220, given that that's the standard output voltage of your AC mains, and given that it gave an approximate k value of root 2, which those of us who do Physics should recognise from root mean squared calculations :)

Yeah I thought I recognised that number from physics alright!

Cos2A = cos(A+A)
    Cos (A+A) = cosAcosA - sinAsinA
    =cos^2A-sin^2A

I got that, pulled it out of the logs , hopefully 10 maybe 15 marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

ian5005 wrote: »
    I got that, pulled it out of the logs , hopefully 10 maybe 15 marks

Hopefully most of the marks will be going for that because the last part was horrible.

robman60 wrote: »
    Hopefully most of the marks will be going for that because the last part was horrible.

what was the last part?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

what did people get for the square length part for the clock :P

I got about 12.07 which you had to round up to 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

is it like the diameter of the big circle plus radius of small?

is it like the diameter of the big circle plus radius of small?

Diameter of the big circle and small circle plus the bit between the edge of the circles and the corners will give you the diagonal.

Then you get l using Pythagoras.

I got about 12.07 which you had to round up to 13.

I got 5 + 5(root 2) and wrote that because it *just fits* both cogs but did it say to round to the nearest whole number? Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

I found the length of the diagonal instead because I rushed it, but had l^2 + l^2 = 17^2 written out somewhere I think.. Wonder if Ill lose many marks :P

• Advertisement

aleatorio wrote: »
    I found the length of the diagonal instead because I rushed it, but had l^2 + l^2 = 17^2 written out somewhere I think.. Wonder if Ill lose many marks :P

It's part of the process so you might get high or mid partial credit.

Advertisement