Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's part of the process so you might get high or mid partial credit.

In my eyes getting the diagonal was the hardest part, so heres to hoping for high partial credit :L

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

I got about 12.07 which you had to round up to 13.

I forgot to round up :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

aleatorio wrote: »
    In my eyes getting the diagonal was the hardest part, so heres to hoping for high partial credit :L

I'd say it'll be high partial credit.

After that you're just doing:

[latex]x^2 + x^2 = 17^2[/latex]
    [latex]x^2 = 144.5[/latex]
    [latex]x = 12.02[/latex]
    [latex]x = 13
    [/latex]

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Goddamn Casio fx-83GT calculator. It uses the standard deviation symbol for the population deviation, which confused me. Ended up getting something like 5.75x10^-3 for the "standard deviation". Suppose I should've known...

Some of my answers:
    Q1 (a) (i): 72.15 degrees (ii) 7653m^2
    Q2 (b) 5/2r
    Q3 (a) I didnt nCr with 4C2 because there were 4 he could land on and he had to land on two, and I got 6, but I didn't multiply by four for the four times he did it, shame. (b) I said B (c) Did Bernoulli Trial, got 125/432 = 29%
    Q4 (a) (i) [311, -311] (does it matter if you put the positive or negative one first?) (ii) 50 I think (b) (ii) as above (c) (i) 54054.797 (affected by my wrong standard deviation) (ii) had a go at this, think I got b but definitely didn't get a
    Q5 (a) R(-25/3 , 0) (b) got this easily enough (c) didn't have time to finish, but pretty sure I had a right method, even though I don't think it was the easiest one as I used most of the space and didn't finish it out. Attmept makrs :P
    Q6 What can I say? Nice and easy. I think.
    Q7 (a) Old people, Disable people (b)-->(c) (ii) Can't remember, fairly confident though. (c) (iii) Didn't have a clue, made up some bull in the last few seconds. (d) (i) and (ii) Fairly confident with these. (iii) Had a method but wouldn't say 100% confident.
    Q8 Can't remember the answers for this, fairly confident with (a) (i)-->(iii), not so much on part (iv). (b) Threw me a bit, 57%<p<63% or something like that, unsure of wording for conclusion. (ii) Not a clue.
    Q9 (a) (i) D(-2 , -3) I think. Radius 4root2? (ii) Radius: root2? (iii) Got this. (iv) something like: (x+9/2)^2 + (y-9/2)^2 = 2 ? (v) Got 11, fairly sure it's wrong because I used on point instead of another and unfortunately didn't so my work so not many attempt marks coming for me. (b) (i) and (ii) were pretty easy, part (ii) a lot shorter than I expected. Part (iii) Ran out of time so didn't get a chance, but I wouldn't be very confident even if I had another 10 minutes.

Whew. My hands hurt. I'm hoping for about 70% for that, anybody have any predictions for me from what I've said? I also have a few marcanna breise coming my way for doing it through Irish ;) Hope you all got on okay and with Irish PI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

Can't remember what number q it was, but what did people get for the radii of the two circles? I got 5√2 and then √2 and thought I was right but then the next part about proving that something was half of that length didn't work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

For the one with the cogs and the box, I can't remember any of my figures but I know I didn't do any diagonals or Pythagoras. I just dropped the centre of the smaller circle down to where the radius of the big circle was a straight line, took the measurement between them and just added the smaller radius? Anyone? :P

fionnacake wrote: »
    Can't remember what number q it was, but what did people get for the radii of the two circles? I got 5√2 and then √2 and thought I was right but then the next part about proving that something was half of that length didn't work out?

I think one was 4√2 and the other was √2

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

I think one was 4√2 and the other was √2

They could be thinking of the 5√2 gotten from the distance between the centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Just realised I did something insanely stupid. I went back and checked my answer for Q1 (the area) on my calculator and got around 800 or something for it instead of the correct 7000ish answer and changed it...the reason I got a different answer the second time? Calculator in radian mode from a different question.

Cannot believe I did something so stupid. Hope they only take a couple of marks off given that the line before it, 0.5x120x134xSin72.15 SHOULD have given the correct answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

The wording of that probability question was awful. so confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Well.. Now that its over.. Overall how did ye think ye did? After that I think I'll be around the B2/B1 mark but that really depends on the marking scheme! Happy since I would have settled for a B3 since its worth 100 points!

Everyone should have done their tests through Irish too btw.. I did mine in Irish because I attend an Irish school but basically if you get less than 75% you get a bonus of 5.5% for writing a few words in Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Diameter of the big circle and small circle plus the bit between the edge of the circles and the corners will give you the diagonal.

Then you get l using Pythagoras.

I worked out the furthest point on the right (small circle) and furthest point on the left (big circle), then calculated the horizontal distance between them which worked out to be 12.07. So as it was very close to 12, I didn't wanted to waste time checking for the vertical distance, therefore 13 is 99% correct in my opinion :D
    Shane15 wrote: »
    Yes, very annoyed by it too. Nearly died when I realised the exam ends at 12, not 12.30.

This happened to me for English P1 and today as well, it is so annoying!
    The wording of that probability question was awful. so confusing!

Agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

FatRat wrote: »
    Everyone should have done their tests through Irish too btw.. I did mine in Irish because I attend an Irish school but basically if you get less than 75% you get a bonus of 5.5% for writing a few words in Irish!

That sounds nice but I think most of us find writing those statistics answers ambiguous enough in English!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish_gal

For the one with the cogs and the box, I can't remember any of my figures but I know I didn't do any diagonals or Pythagoras. I just dropped the centre of the smaller circle down to where the radius of the big circle was a straight line, took the measurement between them and just added the smaller radius? Anyone? :P

^^
    did that too... :P lets hope we get something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish_gal

deadpixel wrote: »
    That sounds nice but I think most of us find writing those statistics answers ambiguous enough in English!

AGREED!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

I was absolutely appalled when no 300 mark enlargement question came up...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Would it be 1 mark lost for failing to round up. Thought I should have round down, as it was soooo close to 12! Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LC767

Can't understand how anyone thought that was better than paper 1 :O

Pretty sure I aced paper 1 but failed that paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

I don't know how people thought that was better than Paper 1. I didn't think it was too difficult but I just completely ran out of time... Was really upset afterwards because I was hoping for an A1 but no chance of that now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

LC767 wrote: »
    Can't understand how anyone thought that was better than paper 1 :O

Pretty sure I aced paper 1 but failed that paper

Feel the very same, felt like i came out of paper one with an A2/B1 but now im definitely down to a C/D after that paper, was absolutely shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

How many marks do you think the last question will end up being worth :P

Ah no, in all fairness, it wasn't too bad, in my opinion (and this is coming from a person who left the theorem question blank.. :l )

Q1 was a beaut. 'Nuff said.
    Q2 was grand :) Got theta (changed it to degrees as well as having it in radians)
    Q3 was.. meh, never really liked probability... I got 24, said spinner A, because it had the higher likelihood of gaining more than 3 euro. I got 0.2 for the bernoulli trial question.
    Q4 was sex.
    Q5 was alright, apart from the last part.. I wrote down a few scribbles, hoping for a few pity marks.
    Q6..... The awkward moment when you said to yourself ''Ah sure, a theorem won't come up'' the night before the exam... Construction was sex on legs.
    Q7 Was grand, very opinionated, but fairly confident I got at least 40/45.
    Q8 Was... hard, I suppose..? It's one of those things where I could get it 100% right or completely wrong (regarding the actual probability calculations).. Didn't get last part, wrote down something, can't remember...
    Q9 was okay...I guess. I got the first 4 parts... left the square part, stupidly, didn't have time.. Got the 2nd last part of it, just Pythagoras, I believe..Aaaand didn't get time for the Lune question..

Overall, as I said *okay*.. I reckon it went either a bit worse or a bit better than Paper 2, depending on how I did on the probability questions...

Would be delighted with a B1... all depends on the marking <3

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Hopefully 5 lol

romanita wrote: »
    Hopefully 5 lol

That could actually be very true.... Based on the reactions from my friends and the people on this, the fact that very few people got the last part will most likely mean that it will be worth the least marks.... The marking scheme is written up to suit the student and to maximise their grades.. Same thing applies for easier questions that everyone got.. They will be worth the most marks.. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

"According to the Institute of Education’s Aidan Roantree, the exam was not as accessible as paper one. “The amount of language used made it trickier than Friday’s paper,” said John Brennan of the Ballinteer Institute and projectmaths.com." Read here.

I agree with that, it was trickier than P1 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Paper is up now

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

It's up on examinations.ie now for those of you who want to dissect it as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

ShoePolish wrote: »
    That could actually be very true.... Based on the reactions from my friends and the people on this, the fact that very few people got the last part will most likely mean that it will be worth the least marks.... The marking scheme is written up to suit the student and to maximise their grades.. Same thing applies for easier questions that everyone got.. They will be worth the most marks.. :L

The whole Q is worth 60 so I'm hoping that part is worth a bit more than 5! 10-15 would be fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Nicke011 wrote: »
    "According to the Institute of Education’s Aidan Roantree, the exam was not as accessible as paper one. “The amount of language used made it trickier than Friday’s paper,” said John Brennan of the Ballinteer Institute and projectmaths.com." Read here.

I agree with that, it was trickier than P1 :/

He also described the clocks-question as "fascinating". Anyone agree?

• Advertisement

Maximum 10.

It could be something like:

a) i - 5
    a) ii - 5
    a) iii - 5
    a) iv - 10
    a) v - 10

b) i - 5
    b) i - 10
    b) i - 10

60 marks total

The paper:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/LC003ALP230EV.pdf
    qweerty wrote: »
    He also described the clocks-question as "fascinating". Anyone agree?

It was certainly interesting. I think most circle questions in Section B(Rarely happens) are interesting though. When it comes up in A, it's a bit boring and theoretical.

Advertisement