Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

qweerty wrote: »
    He also described the clocks-question as "fascinating". Anyone agree?

I thought it was an interesting Q. Certainly a better way of examining the Circle than a lot of what I've seen. It didn't even really bring in a lot of the harder parts of that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

As for the question on the line with points E and R... For the last part of that question.. Was the formula for perpendicular distance from a point to the line a correct method in solving it? I did that out but couldn't finish it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I thought it was an interesting Q. Certainly a better way of examining the Circle than a lot of what I've seen. It didn't even really bring in a lot of the harder parts of that topic.

I dunno. It seems pretty standard to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

FatRat wrote: »
    As for the question on the line with points E and R... For the last part of that question.. Was the formula for perpendicular distance from a point to the line a correct method in solving it? I did that out but couldn't finish it

I did it that way and it worked out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Yup, that's what I did and it worked.

• Advertisement

That's great news! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I dunno. It seems pretty standard to me.

Well I'd rather have that than the 2012 question with the tangents if I'm honest.

I don't think anyone expected a Section B Q on co-ordinate geometry of the circle in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

How did ye do question 2b? I was so certain that it was a misprint :/

and the last question about the lunes what even was that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JackKele

What was the null hypothesis and alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Well I'd rather have that than the 2012 question with the tangents if I'm honest.

I don't think anyone expected a Section B Q on co-ordinate geometry of the circle in any case.

I was just questioning Roantree's calling it "fascinating".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

True enough, the layout of the entire paper was weird... Usually, there is one line, one circle, one statistics, one probability, one trig and one pure geometry in Section A. And then one loooong question on stats/prob (mixed) and one or two on trig and/or length area and volume...

But this paper went like... one probability, one trig/stats, one line, one trig/geometry, one....mixed... It was the weirdest layout I have ever seen... But ah well :L

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

This is an unofficial Marking Scheme that the teachers at our school have done out for Paper 2. Just for anyone curious.
    *NOT OFFICIAL

Q1 a i 10
    ii 10
    b 5

Q2 a 10
    b 15

Q3 a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q4 a i 3
    ii 3
    b i 5
    ii 4
    c i 5
    ii 5

Q5 a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q6A a 20
    b 5

Q6B a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q7 a 5
    b 10
    c i 5
    ii 5
    ii 5
    d i 5
    ii 5
    iii 5

Q8 a i 5
    ii 10
    iii 10
    iv 5
    b i 10
    ii 5

Q9 a i 5
    ii 5
    iii 5
    iv 10
    v 10
    b i 5
    ii 10
    iii 10

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

After trying a few from Section A...
    Q1 (a) (i) 73.15 degress (ii) 7653m^2 (b) circumcentre is equal distance from each vertex etc.
    Q2 (b) Theta is 2.5 radians
    Q4 (a) (i) [-311,311] (ii) 50 (b) (i) use symmetry of function, it goes 156, 269, 311, 269, 156, 0. -156 etc. (ii) 230V (bit dodgy on that one) c(i) k = 1.352 (ii) a = 149 b = 120pi
    Q5 (a) R(-25/3,0) (b) Equation of line is y = 1.2x +10 just sub in the values for E (c) m = 8/15 and c = 20/3

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

I think 9 (b) (ii) and (iii) will be answered too poorly / not attempted enough to tie up 20 marks in them.. Other than that sounds fair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian5005

T0001 wrote: »

I'd be happy enough with that, has anyone any guess what the marking scheme for paper one might be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Just gave a quick run over the paper again and realised how to find the radius of circle k in Question 9, can't believe I missed it in the exam..If only I had given myself an extra few minutes and calmed down and thought about it..guess thats what happens when you realise the exam is over at 12 (not 12:30) and the panic sets in!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

He also described the clocks-question as "fascinating". Anyone agree?

I thought it was an interesting way to ask a circles question. Certainly kept me interested. Have no idea how to do the lunes question at the end though...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

sirwhy wrote: »
    I thought it was an interesting way to ask a circles question. Certainly kept me interested. Have no idea how to do the lunes question at the end though...

I agree, it's not really fascinating but it is interesting and I liked the question. I wished I had time to do the last part, it wasn't that hard as it looks.

If you look at semicircles you see three of them.
    1. Get the area of two semi circles above the two sides + area of triangle
    2. Get the area of the semi circle above the hypotenuse.

3. Subtract the area in step 1 from the area in step 2
    (you are left with area of two lunes)

4. Equal the area from step 3 to the area of the triangle
    5. Prove that they are equal

6. Get your points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

Nicke011 wrote: »
    I agree, it's not really fascinating but it is interesting and I liked the question. I wished I had time to do the last part, it wasn't that hard as it looks.

3. Subtract the area in step 1 from the are in step 2
    4. Subtract the area of the triangle from the area in step 3

5. Equal the area from step 4 to the area of the triangle
    6. Prove that they are equal

7. Get your points :(

That is much easier than what I was thinking. With the clock ticking down I was just coming up with all sorts of methods. None of which worked. But the rest of my paper was fine I think so no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

They really should give us an extra half an hour. Would have liked to have had to think. Its not like English where you can keep writing and get more. You really should have time to comfortable finish and review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

sirwhy wrote: »
    That is much easier than what I was thinking. With the clock ticking down I was just coming up with all sorts of methods. None of which worked. But the rest of my paper was fine I think so no worries.

I've made a correction it in step 4 :D

Anyway as lady Macbeth would say "What's done is done" :cool:

3. Subtract the area in step 1 from the area in step 2

4. Equal the area from step 3 to the area of the triangle
    5. Prove that they are equal

6. Get your points :(

Its actually a lot easier than people probably though, if you just label the regions as A1, A2, A3 etc. and use the proof from b(ii) it can be done in about 5 lines

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

That's probably not the best example to use. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gcc ct96

Disappointed about the voltage Qs messed up and the final part of 8 but other than that is was decent. Hoping for A1/A2

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Look on't again, I dare not!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

This is an unofficial Marking Scheme that the teachers at our school have done out for Paper 2. Just for anyone curious.
    *NOT OFFICIAL

Q1 a i 10
    ii 10
    b 5

Q2 a 10
    b 15

Q3 a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q4 a i 3
    ii 3
    b i 5
    ii 4
    c i 5
    ii 5

Q5 a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q6A a 20
    b 5

Q6B a 5
    b 10
    c 10

Q7 a 5
    b 10
    c i 5
    ii 5
    ii 5
    d i 5
    ii 5
    iii 5

Q8 a i 5
    ii 10
    iii 10
    iv 5
    b i 10
    ii 5

Q9 a i 5
    ii 5
    iii 5
    iv 10
    v 10
    b i 5
    ii 10
    iii 10

Sorry, thought I had posted P1

Maths P1 - Our teachers preliminary marking scheme.
    * NOT OFFICIAL

Q1 a 10
    b i 10
    ii 5

Q2 a 10
    b i 5
    ii 10

Q 3 a 15
    b 5
    c 5

Q4 a 10
    b 15

Q5 a 10
    b i 5
    ii 10

Q6 a i 5
    ii 10
    b 5
    c 5

Q7 a i 5
    ii 15
    b i 10
    ii 10

Q8 a 10
    b 10
    c 10
    d 10
    e 10

Q9 a 10
    b 10
    c 10
    d 5
    e i 5
    ii 5
    f i 10
    ii 5

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

I was pretty happy with paper 2 overall, at least compared to the nightmare that was paper 1. As people have pointed out the paper was a bit unusual and all over the place, and differed from the layout we've seen the past few years, it kind of annoys me that we were the year they pulled this little experiment (if you can call it that) on. That being said, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with paper 2, there were no nasty surprises, no left out sections, and it covered a range of topics, we got a line question, which was pretty straightforward, we got a good circle question which had some very doable parts, we got statistics, probability, some trig graphs, a theorem, a construction, pretty much everything you'd expect on a good paper 2. I would actually consider us lucky, look at the 2012, and 2014 circle questions for example, much harder than the ones we got. To anyone who didn't like the paper, what didn't you like about it? seemed pretty nice to me.

From what i've been told about the project maths marking it seems the marks are front loaded, meaning that the first parts of the questions get most of the marks even if they appear much easier, often times the hardest parts that require the most work only get 5 or so marks while simple things get like 15 marks, you'd be surprised at some of the marking schemes, with that being said i'd question how accurate that marking scheme, bare in mind that they adjust the marking scheme so that the whole country falls on a curve, which sometimes leaves the simplest of things getting insane amount of marks.

I said I'd leave it but this is annoying me... Was the null hypothesis "The drug is not more successful" or was it "The drug is more successful"? I said it was the drug is not more successful and therefore rejected it because it was?

I said I'd leave it but this is annoying me... Was the null hypothesis "The drug is not more successful" or was it "The drug is more successful"? I said it was the drug is not more successful and therefore rejected it because it was?

A Null Hypotheseis must always contain an equality so from the context it would seem Null Hypothesis is that the effect of drug A is greater than or equal to the effect of the generic drug. I don't know if the mathematical symbols for representing this are on the LC syllabus.

• Advertisement

Ompala wrote: »
    A Null Hypotheseis must always contain an equality so from the context it would seem Null Hypothesis is that the effect of drug A is greater than or equal to the effect of the generic drug. I don't know if the mathematical symbols for representing this are on the LC syllabus.

So its "The drug is more successful"? If so then I must have stated the alternative hypothesis! Hopefully I don't get f*cked over with marks because of it! Thanks

Advertisement