Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciaran8

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Prove √2 is irrational
    Construct √2 and √3
    Proof by induction:
    1+2+...+n
    1²+2²+...+n²
    1³+2³+...+n³
    a+ar+ar²+...+ar^(n-1) = a(1-r^n) / 1-r
    De Moivre's theorem for n E N, n=0 & n E Z.
    Derive sum to infinity
    Amortisation formula

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    That is the easiest way to think about it!
    Do you know what the horizontal line test is?

yes but im sure you cant use that in reasoning out why its not injective/surjective you get me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

Days 298 wrote: »
    If someone has these handy could they post it up please :)

Im hoping de moivres proof and proof by contradiction come up.

Actually page 24 of this might be what you are looking for for geometric series with induction https://betterexaminations.ie/show?paper_id=4897&mksurl=http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2002/LC003ALP1EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

yes but im sure you cant use that in reasoning out why its not injective/surjective you get me ?

But the the horizontal line test holds the answer.
    If it intersects the graph in one place then the y value has only one x value ok?
    Therefore injective - one to one mapping (not perfect )
    If it intersects it in more than one place then y value has more than one corresponding x value . Thus it's Surjective .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

What do you use for proof of contradicton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    But the the horizontal line test holds the answer.
    If it intersects the graph in one place then the y value has only one x value ok?
    Therefore injective - one to one mapping (not perfect )
    If it intersects it in more than one place then y value has more than one corresponding x value . Thus it's Surjective .

right thank you,I get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Ciaran8 wrote: »
    How do you know this?

Was given the list from my teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

That definition of surjective function is only half correct really. You have to account for the domain and range also. Like a post said a while back the domain must equal the range for it to be surjective. That means when you see the question you have to take the information people don't usually look at. For example when is say the values of of the graph are R -> R. Well if its a quadratic graph (with one turning point) then it cannot be surjective... Even though a horizontal line cuts it more than once. The reason for this is that the range of a quadratic graph doesn't equal the codomain. The codomain is "R" I.e. any real number. But the range of the graph can't be any real number since it has one turning point, and the range is therefore restricted.

However if the Range of the graph is x > -4 (for example) than if you restrict the codomain to x > -4 (i.e the values for the graph are now R -> [x>-4] instead of R-> R), the function is then surjective. The only time that a graph of R --> R is surjective is when it its range is [infinity, infinity] .. Sorry I cant do the symbol for infinity! Linear (sometimes, i think?) and cubic graphs are generally surjective! Exponential and log graphs cant be surjective however.

Its hard to explain without diagrams. And PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. I could be wrong. Maybe. And if I am, I need to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

So.Screwed.

Never thought I'd be learning maths proofs the morning of my leaving cert maths exam...And I'm actually a very organized person!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

So.Screwed.

Never thought I'd be learning maths proofs the morning of my leaving cert maths exam...And I'm actually a very organized person!

I'm the same.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Can the graphs of sinx and cosx come up on paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Can the graphs of sinx and cosx come up on paper 1?

I believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Do we have to know how to use chain rule backwards to solve things like: "Integrate cos(2x)"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zinny

is patterns a definite maybe for this exam??

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

A lot of that list are important because they need to be understood beforehand as opposed to done from scratch on the day. But in the bigger picture of the whole exam they aren't worth too much marks compared to the more intuitive questions, so don't fret the 'small' stuff! :)

Thanks! Praying not too many of them come up, because I actually know everything else inside and out-_- I like maths but I hate not being taught stuff...
    B3 on first mock (DEB) and B1 on second (partly made up and last year's DEB) so was really hoping to push to the A2. If too much of this stuff comes up I haven't a hope in hell :(:(

Mario95 wrote: »
    Do we have to know how to use chain rule backwards to solve things like: "Integrate cos(2x)"?

Integrating something like that general formula is
    -(1/a)sinax so ans is -(1/2) sin2x
    The tables leave out the (1/a) bit for trig functions but its there for e^x if that helps :)

Integrating something like that general formula is
    -(1/a)sinax so ans is -(1/2) sin2x
    The tables leave out the (1/a) bit for trig functions but its there for e^x if that helps :)

I truly hate rules. Especially if they are not in the tables.
    Also I believe the answer would be +sin(2x)/2.

Thanks anyway, I will use the e^ax in the tables if I am stuck ;)

Quick question, is an exponential graph injective?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

What the hell is the Admoritasion formula?

Quick question, is an exponential graph injective?

horizontal line test cuts it once so yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

What the hell is the Admoritasion formula?
    Formula to discover the monthly/yearly repayments for a loan. Its in the log tables. Much quicker than geometeric series but only works if the loan is being repaid at the end of each time period

XtotheZ wrote: »
    horizontal line test cuts it once so yes
    Thanks just making sure :)

What do you use for proof of contradicton?
    Square root two being rational.
    zinny wrote: »
    is patterns a definite maybe for this exam??

A maybe but came up last year. New examiner this year Id say hell want to be different.

[quote="Mario95;90711 truly hate rules. Especially if they are not in the tables.
    Also I believe the answer would be +sin(2x)/2.

Thanks anyway, I will use the e^ax in the tables if I am stuck ;)[/quote]
    You're right there, that's what I get for integrating whilst lying in bed without bothering to get up to check the maths
    tables :pac:

Little sis - yes, an exponential graph is injective, because the y value for a given x value will be different to any other y, ie one to one mapping

i really hope surjective bijective and injective dont show.
    The whole point of project maths was to make it more accessible yet now we have zero choice and still must rote learn :mad:

What do we need to know for the Income Tax section (that isn't already in the Tables)?
    Do we need to know all the cut-off points and other stuff or they will give it to us in the paper?

Days 298 wrote: »
    i really hope surjective bijective and injective dont show.
    The whole point of project maths was to make it more accessible yet now we have zero choice and still must rote learn :mad:

I hope they dont but i think they will. Functions will be a big part I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish_gal

Anyone know what terms we need to know for paper one? and what proofs you think will come up??

Mario95 wrote: »
    What do we need to know for the Income Tax section (that isn't already in the Tables)?
    Do we need to know all the cut-off points and other stuff or they will give it to us in the paper?

They give cut off points, percentage rates etc on the paper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

They give cut off points, percentage rates etc on the paper :)

Dont think they give USC cut off points?

Advertisement