Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Dont think they give USC cut off points?

Ask the supervisor can you view his pay slip? Nah they will have to give it Id say. Its around 40000 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Days 298 wrote: »
    Ask the supervisor can you view his pay slip? Nah they will have to give it Id say. Its around 40000 i think

On the first €10,036 2%
    On the next €5,980 4%
    On the balance 7%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

What is the proof of geometric series by induction??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

does anyone else struggle with Rates of change in diferentiation? I cant get my head around it atall :S

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Days 298 wrote: »
    What is the proof of geometric series by induction??

2012 Q4 (A)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Is financial maths going to come up for definite?

Shane15 wrote: »
    Is financial maths going to come up for definite?

guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

XtotheZ wrote: »
    does anyone else struggle with Rates of change in diferentiation? I cant get my head around it atall :S

It's a hard thing to grasp but once you get it it's fine :)

Basically, let's say your given the rate of change of the volume (dV/dt), and you want to find the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt)

First thing to note is that when they say 'rate of change' that means it was differentiated in terms of t, time.

So you have dV/dt, and you want to find dr/dt

So if you view them as fractions, you'd want to multiply dV/dt by dr/dV to get the dV's to cancel and leave you with dr/dt, the thing were trying to find

Want = Need x Given
    dr/dt = dr/dV x dV/dt

If we know it's a sphere, say, we know the formula for it's volume in terms of r is 4/3 pi r^3
    So dV/dr is 4 pi r^2
    So we have what dV/dr is, but what we need is dr/dV - we simply just flip the expression, so we have 1/(4 pi r^2)

Then we just sub in 'r' which should be given, and multiply dr/dV by dV/dt (which we were given)

And that's it, the answer is dr/dt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

guaranteed

its not guaranteed , paper 1 is the most unpredictable paper of all

aleatorio wrote: »
    It's a hard thing to grasp but once you get it it's fine :)

Basically, let's say your given the rate of change of the volume (dV/dt), and you want to find the rate of change of the radius (dr/dt)

First thing to note is that when they say 'rate of change' that means it was differentiated in terms of t, time.

So you have dV/dt, and you want to find dr/dt

So if you view them as fractions, you'd want to multiply dV/dt by dr/dV to get the dV's to cancel and leave you with dr/dt, the thing were trying to find

Want = Need x Given
    dr/dt = dr/dV x dV/dt

If we know it's a sphere, say, we know the formula for it's volume in terms of r is 4/3 pi r^3
    So dV/dr is 4 pi r^2
    So we have what dV/dr is, but what we need is dr/dV - we simply just flip the expression, so we have 1/(4 pi r^2)

Then we just sub in 'r' which should be given, and multiply dr/dV by dV/dt (which we were given)

And that's it, the answer is dr/dt :)

thats really helpful thanks :D

• Advertisement

its not guaranteed , paper 1 is the most unpredictable paper of all

Though it was always up, deffo be up in Paper 2 tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

The only thing that is certain for paper 1 is tears

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this... How sad am I :pac:

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this... How sad am I :pac:

Im somewhat the same, i like a challenge.. although that will change as soon as i get in there.

May the logs be in your favour

• Registered Users Posts: 16 stevemanu

Anoyone have answers for the financial Maths question on the deb mock ? We didn't have it covered before the mock so I didn't do it. Just doing it now to test myself. Please and thank you :)

Im somewhat the same, i like a challenge.. although that will change as soon as i get in there.

Yeah same for me probably :pac:

Just hoping for proof of de Moivres by induction or a geometric series by induction, the amortization proof and a nice complex numbers q XD

For the proof of de Moivres, if they don't specify, do you have to do it for positive, negative and 0, or? :o

stevemanu wrote: »
    Anoyone have answers for the financial Maths question on the deb mock ? We didn't have it covered before the mock so I didn't do it. Just doing it now to test myself. Please and thank you :)

for part i 0.367%
    Part II €2344 to nearest euro

for part i 0.367%
    Part II €2344 to nearest euro

Could you be amazing and post the question...? I did the examcraft mock :o

Need some clarification:

When doing the geometric series financial maths qs,

If you're given the amount borrowed and need to find the repayments, you use the P=F/(1+i)^t formula

And when you're given the total amount of savings and want to find the amount paid monthly/yearly you use F=P(1+i)^t
    Yeah? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

What do we need to have for the exam? pencil, pen, ruler, calculator... is there anything else?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

For the proof of de Moivres, if they don't specify, do you have to do it for positive, negative and 0, or? :o

They should specify.
    Mario95 wrote: »
    What do we need to have for the exam? pencil, pen, ruler, calculator... is there anything else?

Compass.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    They should specify.

Ok grand :)
    Hopefully not negative... Don't like that one :pac: I get all confused with letting n= -p and subbing it back in at the end :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ok grand :)
    Hopefully not negative... Don't like that one :pac: I get all confused with letting n= -p and subbing it back in at the end :o

Pray for n = 0

2 lines. ****ing win.

:pac:

Won't happen though :(

Mario95 wrote: »

Idk do you need it but i bring everything in compass, set squares etc

Could you be amazing and post the question...? I did the examcraft mock :o

im not sure how to upload pictures from my phone. But it basically asks:

Find the value of 4.5% aer if compunded monthly for part I

Part 2 asks: if a member of the club can make 12 equal monthly installments of 200 euro at 4.5% find how much a member would pay in advance.

Hope this helps, sorry again

im not sure how to upload pictures from my phone. But it basically asks:

Find the value of 4.5% aer if compunded monthly for part I

Part 2 asks: if a member of the club can make 12 equal monthly installments of 200 euro at 4.5% find how much a member would pay in advance.

Hope this helps, sorry again

I couldnt understand that part atall, it was phrased so badly

I couldnt understand that part atall, it was phrased so badly

I think you mean in the actual mock? Well if you do, it was. Makes no sense because they left out the fact they they pay the same amount, present values etc. Also why would someone who is paying in advance need to pay the 4.5% aer. Was ridiculous! I just did a quick amortisation formula in 6\7 lines and git it right.... Even though its wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emilyjaneoh

Does anyone have the proof for the amortisation formula? Just heard about it there, and would it take long to learn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Does anyone have the proof for the amortisation formula? Just heard about it there, and would it take long to learn?

I learnt it this morning, it's not too bad.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I misread this. I'm unsure.

Advertisement