Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Praying that an inequality induction proof doesn't come up.. I can never get my head around them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

This may be a really stupid question, but what is this factor theorem that everyones on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

aleatorio wrote: »
    Praying that an inequality induction proof doesn't come up.. I can never get my head around them :(

youtube.com/watch?v=5iWlsp55N_s

Watch this :) It explains it nicely.

Lara_15 wrote: »
    This may be a really stupid question, but what is this factor theorem that everyones on about?

It's literally just that if x=-3 is a root of an equation, x+3 is a factor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Can safely say this exam is going to make or break my entire leaving cert.

• Advertisement

It's literally just that if x=-3 is a root of an equation, x+3 is a factor :pac:

ahhh i know that, just didnt know the name for it....
    I dont know any proofs or anything like that, and I NEED at least a B2
    I got a b2 in the mock but im getting really nervous that I wont get it

I know it's silly but I really hope there's no icky algebra q, like one where you have to construct the simultaneous eqns from word equations and whatnot.. I swear they're the bane of my existance :pac:
    ahhh i know that, just didnt know the name for it....
    I dont know any proofs or anything like that, and I NEED at least a B2
    I got a b2 in the mock but im getting really nervous that I wont get it

If it makes you feel any better, I need an A1 more than likely :pac: and I got a B2 in the mocks, paper 1 being my worst :o
    Hopefully the maths gods will be kind

If it makes you feel any better, I need an A1 more than likely :pac: and I got a B2 in the mocks, paper 1 being my worst :o
    Hopefully the maths gods will be kind

They dont want bad press so Im sure they wont be too bad :/ Im fine at working things out but proving things or showing that something = something or any of this english stuff can just feck right off!
    Out of curiosity what mock did you have??

They dont want bad press so Im sure they wont be too bad :/ Im fine at working things out but proving things or showing that something = something or any of this english stuff can just feck right off!
    Out of curiosity what mock did you have??

I agree, the old maths course suited me so much more!
    Examcraft, I got a B3 in paper 1 and an A1 in paper 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

****ting it now... I know pretty much everything but I can't understand those volume/differenciation questions or the proofs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Good Luck everyone :D Just relax itll all be grand, Ill see ye on the other side!

I agree, the old maths course suited me so much more!
    Examcraft, I got a B3 in paper 1 and an A1 in paper 2 :pac:

Yeah I had the same one, and I did soooo much better in paper 2, thought it was a nice enough paper, I just hadnt put the work in.
    Hopefully we'll have one similar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Remember the extremely difficult questions will be worth the least amount of marks.. Probably 5. So don't get sucked in by something you can't understand and worry about it for the whole test. Do all of the 'easy' parts first, they generally give the most marks for them parts. If the whole country can't answer a certain part of the test they really won't give more then 5 marks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

for rates of change is it
    want= Need * Given?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

want= Need * Given?

Yes. Rmember that sometimes you'll need to invert your answer too. For example, if you need dr/dv, get dv/dr and then 1/answer is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

want= Need * Given?

You can actually use any combination really. If it ask for the rate of change of the radius given the rate of change of volume you can write:

Dv/DT = Dv/Dr x Dr/DT

You can then arrange the equation so Dr/DT is on its own on the right hand side. So:

Dv/DT divided by dv/Dr = Dr/DT

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Here I go, good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maribs

Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Just had a look at the HL paper there. Fairly straightforward. No ambiguous or silly questions. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Just had a look at the HL paper there. Fairly straightforward. No ambiguous or silly questions. Best of luck to everyone!

Any word on the OL paper? I have a cousin who needs to pass so very nervous for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

That was a beaut of a paper!!! I think?!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Anyone know what time the paper will be up on the SEC website?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

If anyone has the paper, could they post up the different topics each question was?

Especially the 50 markers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

I actually laughed when the Examiner came round the room asking who's doing OL and HL, and he ran out of OL papers after going around half the room :rolleyes:

From the look of the surrounding HL ppl, Maths was a drag, 1 lad actually said out loud how terrible it was. :pac: Happy with OL, piss easy and finished within the hr without even looking at the OL paper, hope it went well for most of ye. The correctors will probly give out a load of marks for the easy qs like they did last year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

There was a lot on geometric and arithmetic sequences and series, integration and differentiation came up a lot and like one function question a cubic one. Overall I thought it was a bad paper, t didn't exactly cover a dynamic range of the course. Also I could not remember sequences and series so I was so pissed off. :( hoping paper 2 brings me up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Ompala wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the paper will be up on the SEC website?

Shortly after 5, I think. They upload all the day's papers at the same time.

I didn't study series and sequences and I HATE proof by inductions I'm useless at them so that was a bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

3 section B questions were 40, 50 and 60 markers respectively, instead of 3 straightforward 50's

Overall a nice enough paper happy with how it went. A lot of focus on functions as they're new for this year, 25 markers on complex numbers, proof by induction, functions...financial maths didn't show it's face at all, however sequences and series featured in a 25 marker

Generally should be considered to be a handy paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

What was that maths paper? God awful....threw down a bunch of numbers but I doubt it even made sense. Only one I got right was where I've to sub in 1 to the equation.....

• Advertisement

I'm feeling kind of "meh" about it, uh , hope to god paper 2 will be nice.

Advertisement