Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Geography 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I know the majority of the physical side, just trying to learn off geothermal energy and the Mississippi River now. Geo-ecology should be okay. For regional I know primary, secondary and tertiary for a euro region and Dublin, secondary and tertiary for sub continental.

Really not sure what else to look at at this stage. Any ideas?

Primary for Continental, have a look at BMW and Mezzogiorno, they could ask for a comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yeyeye

I got 35% in my mocks doing HL Geography. This time around including the field study which is worth 20 marks if I get 35% again will this help me pass??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hate lc!

Anyone know any predictions for ordinary geography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

yeyeye wrote: »
    I got 35% in my mocks doing HL Geography. This time around including the field study which is worth 20 marks if I get 35% again will this help me pass??

field study is worth 100 marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

8 mark per short Q.

Those bloody map questions/ordinance survey/grid reference questions will deffo be more than a minute long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Keelin1244

I have so much regional to learn don't know what ones to choose , have Mezzogiorno primary secondary and tertiary that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

field study is worth 100 marks
    What percentage overall is that, Hollister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

kn2k10 wrote: »
    8 mark per short Q.

Those bloody map questions/ordinance survey/grid reference questions will deffo be more than a minute long.

You've 3 minutes per short Q, alright enough considering you'll get the tables and all that done in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Most recommendations say 30 minutes for short questions, but when I do them it usually takes around ten or so. Is there something I'm missing here? How long does it take yous?

yeyeye wrote: »

I worked this out before, if you got 50 marks out of your project you'll need something like 38% in the paper to pass overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

I pray Characteristics of biome comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Keelin1244

Is everyone studying BMW and GDA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

For the impact of a human activity on fuvial processes, could you group hydroelectric dams and levees together and call it flood control or something? I'm struggling to get 15 srps with just one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

FHB wrote: »
    For the impact of a human activity on fuvial processes, could you group hydroelectric dams and levees together and call it flood control or something? I'm struggling to get 15 srps with just one of them.

Would that not be looking for a case study? Like the TVA on the Mississippi River?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

FHB wrote: »

Yeah, the answer I have is a combination of the 3 Gorges Dam and Levees on the River Rhine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Am I safe leaving out mass movement if I do fluvial landforms/human interaction with rivers? Time is of the essence :P

peekachoo wrote: »
    Am I safe leaving out mass movement if I do fluvial landforms/human interaction with rivers? Time is of the essence :P

Yes.

Is this not common knowledge? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Does anyone have the timing for OL Geography? Would really appreciate it, was familiar with HL Geography marking but I'm not with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goblyn614

Would I be safe in banking on human interaction with a biome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Yes.

Is this not common knowledge? :confused:

I knew that, but I found a soil creep essay and said I better double check.
    My brain is well and truly mush :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Goblyn614 wrote: »
    Would I be safe in banking on human interaction with a biome?

hopefully im in the same situation :o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

I was just wondering, is a biome question *always* guaranteed on the Geography paper? From looking through past papers, it seems to come up in at least one of the three Geoecology Qs every year, however I just want to be 100% sure I'm correct to avoid potentially losing a load of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Frolt

Ok so I know information about some questions but every time I see a 30 mark question I think you have to write around 2 pages and I just don't have enough information for that. I'd be happy with a C3 or a C2 in higher geography. Can someone help me out here, I'm panicking and just reading over the whole revise wise book now.

Frolt wrote: »
    Ok so I know information about some questions but every time I see a 30 mark question I think you have to write around 2 pages and I just don't have enough information for that. I'd be happy with a C3 or a C2 in higher geography. Can someone help me out here, I'm panicking and just reading over the whole revise wise book now.

Well, even if you only know one essay from a question you can get 50/80 (presuming you knew what you were doing with the 20 marker. That's 62.5%, a C2. Do any small bit of work then on the part you don't know and you should get 60/80, 75%, a B2.

Sounds so much easier than it is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What percentage overall is that, Hollister?

20% in your post you said 20 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmbiiSmiley

I am screwed for geography...Everytime I look at it theres another thing I dont know :(
    Anyone have any sample biome answers or desert soil types?? Planning to stay up as long as I can cramming it :/ x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

20% in your post you said 20 marks
    Not my post! :p

But it was why I asked, I guessed he was confusing marks and percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Aiming for a B1 in this! 80 marks already got out of 480 for the project. Just need about 320/400 in this....cramming geoecology, can bullsh*t my way through regional, probably just read over physical geo notes

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Anyone else up studying? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

is their a good chance of characteristics of biome coming up? give me hope somebody!

Advertisement