Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Geography 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

There's a small map of Ireland on the back of the ordnance survey map anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Unreal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

Couldn't have went worse! Dropping from an A in the mock to a C defo stupid biome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Did Global Warming come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 junior c

What came up please?

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    Unreal. :D

Everyone I've seen so far hated it :P

Everyone I've seen so far hated it :P

Seriously! So much choice, lovely questions! Igneous rocks and human interaction with dams was a dream question!

Agriculture in ireland and contrasting two socio economic regions was great too

for human I did the rural-urban migration question which was straightforward. The only thing was the other question was change in urban land functions which I only vaguely remembered so that was my one hazy part.

Geoecology question on soil characteristics affecting the development of a soil, when I first read it it threw me a bit but it was actually soo fab I got 6 pages out of it :pac:
    SEC having two soil questions for the third year in a row was a surprise.

And I thought, for once, the short questions were actually okay!!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

This went awesome!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Ran out of time and did points for 2nd half of my elective would I still get marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Seriously! So much choice, lovely questions! Igneous rocks and human interaction with dams was a dream question!

Agriculture in ireland and contrasting two socio economic regions was great too

for human I did the rural-urban migration question which was straightforward. The only thing was the other question was change in urban land functions which I only vaguely remembered so that was my one hazy part.

Geoecology question on soil characteristics affecting the development of a soil, when I first read it it threw me a bit but it was actually soo fab I got 6 pages out of it :pac:

And I thought, for once, the short questions were actually okay!!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement

Such a dickhead move!
    oncex wrote: »
    Ran out of time and did points for 2nd half of my elective would I still get marks?

Yeah you will. Physical, regional and the elective are all "structured" answers so essay/bullet points are fine for all these answers. There are no marks going for the essay style; the answer just needs structure.
    The option is the only section that NEEDS to be an essay.

No idea sorry I don't do that elective :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Anyone have the questions on hand somehow? I know I did question 2, 7 and the one where you draw a sketch map of Ireland, had the maths set with the map of Ireland on it :P

Nice enough paper apart from the ****ing Biome question which was horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

What did ye think of short questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I thought they were pretty simple, although that damn mast took me ages to find!

Long questions were alright as well...managed to write 3 pages for geoecology on the tropical rainforests of Brazil, even though we've only studied desert biomes. All from general knowledge and a bit of bullsh*t statistics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Ridiculous.
    Passed it, but it was a joke.

Thought this thread would have much more activity :o

Actually thought they were grand, especially cos I remember struggling with the ones last year.

The one with the volcano and sea and mass movement and all of that was...weird, but I wouldn't say unmanageable yeno?

actually now that I think of it something aboutthe aerial photo/os map SQs threw me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Please can someone help. I sealed my examination paper into my answer booklet and sealed it with the sticky edge. I didn't put the treasury tag through the whole way. It was sealed with the answering booklet inside my exam paper. Does that matter. You could still feel a bit of the sticky stuff when it was closed with the exam booklet inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wanderlost

So I did the soils question on 'characteristics affecting the development of soils' and I kind of messed up :/
    The three characteristics I chose were parent material, location and fertility. I linked each characteristic really well with the question, wrote a very detailed 3 and a half pages...only now I realise that I may have misunderstood the term 'characteristics'?
    Any idea whether parent material, location and fertility would get me many marks?...panicking here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Pretty decent exam, short q's were probably the most difficult they've been for a few years. Anyone do the regional comparison of socio-economic regions? I wrote everything I knew about the GDA and BMW, then got scared if they wanted more examples so wrote about Paris Basin and Mezzogiorno. The answer looked pretty messy in the end, should I lose any marks for this? The Central Place question was a bit awkwardly phrased, I just compared urban centres and hinterlands under the headings, is this what everyone else did? Other than that, I thought the exam was pretty fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Did okay, hoping for a B with the field study added in but more likely get a C

Please can someone help. I sealed my examination paper into my answer booklet and sealed it with the sticky edge. I didn't put the treasury tag through the whole way. It was sealed with the answering booklet inside my exam paper. Does that matter. You could still feel a bit of the sticky stuff when it was closed with the exam booklet inside?

It will be fine. Hell, one of the guys who left early in my exam forgot to write his exam number on all his stuff. The examiner told the staff and they just told her who was sitting at that table, and from that they got his number.

People who did far worse stuff than you got off fine for it. You didn't even do anything wrong tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Didn't like the paper :/ Comparing landscapes, socio-economic and all, they threw in a lot of weird stuff.. And some of the short questions were simply weird. And what was up with the landform? both erosion and deposition..

What kind of stuff would they have been looking for for distinctive landscapes of a rock type? I did limestone pavement for sedimentary, lava plateaus for igneous and fold mountains for metamorphic. Is this OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

It was a weird paper especially the short questions, but that said was one of the easiest papers I've done. Whether or not I answered the right way I'll wait till August to see. :p

3 Maps for the long questions. :)

For the biome did anyone else do the Sahel as humans altering the biome?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ruanmcg

jazz101 wrote: »
    It will be fine. Hell, one of the guys who left early in my exam forgot to write his exam number on all his stuff. The examiner told the staff and they just told her who was sitting at that table, and from that they got his number.

People who did far worse stuff than you got off fine for it. You didn't even do anything wrong tbh.

Haha, true that. A girl in my year brought out the question booklet.. The one with the short questions.. Out of the exam hall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Is there dams on the Rhine? Most in my class seem to have wrote about the Rhine for the effect of dams on river processes, I looked over the Three Gorges this morning and wrote about that :D

I'm actually delighted with that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Is their dams on the Rhine? Most in my class seem to have wrote about the Rhine for the effect of dams on river processes, I looked over the Three Gorges this morning and wrote about that :D

I knew the dam and wrote about that but I could only think of about 11 srps so then started writing about levees at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

I thought the short questions were generally very easy? There was one or two parts I was a bit unsure of but nothing that I thought was too hard really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Is there dams on the Rhine? Most in my class seem to have wrote about the Rhine for the effect of dams on river processes, I looked over the Three Gorges this morning and wrote about that :D

I'm pretty sure levees are to do with the Rhine :pac: and dams is the three gorges :P

Advertisement