Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Geography 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Did anyone do the question about the population growth influenced by income levels/technology or something for the human elective?

I did that question but i had only 5 minutes to do it haha, I did the technology one, talked about medicine(cancer research, medicine for aids, antibiotics etc) and then agriculture(herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and GMOs)

peekachoo wrote: »
    What do ya think?

Short questions were sooo lovely.

My choice of questions for regional, physical and elective (economic) would have been Q2, Q6, Q8. However, Q1 and 9 were lovely too.

Geoecology was a joke to me to be fair. The questions were so short that it comes across like whoever wrote/phrased them didn't even care?

Overall it was a nice paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

jazz101 wrote: »
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2014/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

Link to the higher level paper.

Does anyone know what the right labels are for A-F on question 2? I did that and I only took that question on because I liked the other parts.

I think it's..

A = Crust
    B = Asthenosphere
    C = Mohorovicic Discontinuity
    D = Lithosphere
    E = Outer Core
    F = Inner Core

That's actually a messy question, I don't think the diagram is great. Probably got 2 or 3 of those wrong now that I think of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

AGH damn it. I had crust, upper mantle, lower mantle, asthenosphere, core and various other bull**** answers. Completely forgot the lithosphere and moho even existed.

Oh well, I made it back on that outline of Ireland question. Thank God for maths sets with Irish maps on the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Does it mention that in any books though? I'm sure there wasn't one mention of dams on the Rhine in our book (Planet & People)

Well there's HEP stations and locks on the French/German border, I got it from an old book my cousin had about 5 years ago. As far as I know they can control water discharge so would be more or less like the Rhine.

It's done now anyways can't change it. :o

• Advertisement

Oh well, I made it back on that outline of Ireland question. Thank God for maths sets with Irish maps on the case..

I was at the front of the class so couldn't use my maths set :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please can someone help. I sealed my examination paper into my answer booklet and sealed it with the sticky edge. I didn't put the treasury tag through the whole way. It was sealed with the answering booklet inside my exam paper. Does that matter. You could still feel a bit of the sticky stuff when it was closed with the exam booklet inside?
    It will be fine!

Wasn't it you who was worrying about signing the register in blue pen yesterday? No offence intended, but I think you're overly prone to worrying.
    Geography didn't go too bad for me but I ran out of time. But its all pointless now seeing as I failed maths.
    You don't know that! :p

Especially as you've only done one paper as yet!!!

Try to relax a bit, you'll do a lot better. It's Friday evening, try to get some exercise, even if only a brisk walk, and go to bed early and get a good night's sleep, you'll feel all the better for it tomorrow.
    Does it mention that in any books though? I'm sure there wasn't one mention of dams on the Rhine in our book (Planet & People)
    Just because they weren't mentioned in your book (or indeed any book) doesn't mean they don't exist! :p

And they certainly seem to exist, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Rhine#Canalizing_and_dams

It doesn't matter whether they're in the book ... the textbooks are written around the syllabus, not the syllabus around the textbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

I was laughing to myself when I realised that one of the short questions included a map of Ireland. I was almost going to try to trace it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scareyc

Short questions were sooo lovely.

My choice of questions for regional, physical and elective (economic) would have been Q2, Q6, Q8. However, Q1 and 9 were lovely too.

Geoecology was a joke to me to be fair. The questions were so short that it comes across like whoever wrote/phrased them didn't even care?

Overall it was a nice paper

Felt like that too when I saw the geoecology. Kind of like 'Fine then, love you too' lol. Reminded me of the old style 1998 questions

Just because they weren't mentioned in your book (or indeed any book) doesn't mean they don't exist! :p

And they certainly seem to exist, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Rhine#Canalizing_and_dams

It doesn't matter whether they're in the book ... the textbooks are written around the syllabus, not the syllabus around the textbooks.

I'm just thinking about what people in my class wrote about. They all said they did it on the Rhine, which would have suited me a lot better to write about than the Three Gorges Dam but I thought it was unsuitable. I doubt they were studious enough to research Wikipedia articles in case they decided to put up the most specific river processes question so far. They're a thick aul' shower :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

For the first geocology question could you write about brown earths?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm just thinking about what people in my class wrote about. They all said they did it on the Rhine, which would have suited me a lot better to write about than the Three Gorges Dam but I thought it was unsuitable. I doubt they were studious enough to research Wikipedia articles in case they decided to put up the most specific river processes question so far. They're a thick aul' shower :rolleyes:

Wow I was this close to writing about 3 gorges. But I decided against it and did another question. I always get confused about what theyre looking for with those mans interaction with rivers questions

For the first geocology question could you write about brown earths?

For Question 16 yes! I hated how they worded them. Took me ages to figure out which essays were the ones I had studied :rolleyes:

Is this the question you're on about btw?
    Human Interaction with Surface Processes

Human activity impacts on surface processes.
    Examine this statement with reference to one of the following:

 The impact of dams on river processes
     The impact of coastal defence work on coastal processes
     The impact of human activity on mass movement

Is this the question you're on about btw?

Yes. :p

Now that I look at it I think I did it wrong.

Actually I don't know.

We'll find out in august. :p

Is it actually against the rules to use a maths set with Ireland on it? One of the teachers in my school told me to do it in a free class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

There was a map of Ireland in the short questions....

I'm still buzzing from Geography! Like it was such a perfect paper for me! I am delighted with it!

Yes. :p

Now that I look at it I think I did it wrong.

Actually I don't know.

We'll find out in august. :p

If I had seen that question my interpretation would be that they're looking for general information with only 2 marks going for a named example.

Well (and I stress I'm no geographer), it's a very general question on the impact of dams on river processes, so the main part of the marks will presumably be for getting those processes right / describing them.

Obviously giving examples of where it happens would be a plus, but I doubt if the dams on the Rhine impact any differently on the river than anywhere else, unless they're a very different style of dam which isn't used elsewhere. Even if so, provided students describe the usual processes properly, they should get the bulk of the marks.

Edit: Yeah, kinda what Aaron said, though I don't know where he got the "2 marks" from.

Just realised looking through the exam papers that I forgot to do a question from those in 10-12. ****. My. Life.

• Advertisement

Just realised looking through the exam papers that I forgot to do a question from those in 10-12. ****. My. Life.
    Did you do one from 7-9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

much did people write for the biome? I did well overall but I didnt know My biomes only read over essays night before and characteristic didn't come up :( so I Did humans changing the biome and talked about deforestation and cultivation in sahal desert(was that ok?) but only got like 2 and half pages. How many marks do you think id get for only 2.5 pages?

Well (and I stress I'm no geographer), it's a very general question on the impact of dams on river processes, so the main part of the marks will presumably be for getting those processes right / describing them.

Obviously giving examples of where it happens would be a plus, but I doubt if the dams on the Rhine impact any differently on the river than anywhere else, unless they're a very different style of dam which isn't used elsewhere. Even if so, provided students describe the usual processes properly, they should get the bulk of the marks.

Edit: Yeah, kinda what Aaron said, though I don't know where he got the "2 marks" from.

I don't think the effects of damming vary much around the world anyway, so I'd imagine I'd get the marks for using an example to illustrate the impacts it has. Our teacher always said we could do that anyway. :p

I was just thinking that the people who use the Rhine wouldn't be able to say anything about damming specifically, so they'd be hard pushed to get many SRPs out of their answer.

... so I'd imagine I'd get the marks for using an example to illustrate the impacts it has. Our teacher always said we could do that anyway. :p
    Oh, being able to point to specific examples would always be a good thing, no doubt about that, and if people went on about the Rhine without having studied it specifically they might indeed have got a bit waffley and vague and not maximised their potential marks. Provided they got the actual processes right though, they should have got most of the marks available.

Yeah, kinda what Aaron said, though I don't know where he got the "2 marks" from.

They usually designate 1 SRP for a named example i.e 2 marks.
    I was just thinking that the people who use the Rhine wouldn't be able to say anything about damming specifically, so they'd be hard pushed to get many SRPs out of their answer.

Exactly. I don't think there are enough SRPs in 'general' damming information. Some exploration of the named example would be need to get enough SRPs in my opinion.

much did people write for the biome? I did well overall but I didnt know My biomes only read over essays night before and characteristic didn't come up :( so I Did humans changing the biome and talked about deforestation and cultivation in sahal desert(was that ok?) but only got like 2 and half pages. How many marks do you think id get for only 2.5 pages?

I only wrote 2.5 pages aswell , it was kind of educated bluff. Id say Ill get about 50/80 Im sure they dont expect too high a standard considering how long the essay is :)

Did you do one from 7-9?

Yeah, I did question 7.

Yeah, I did question 7.

Then you didn't need to do one from 10-12. You only do 1 elective.

Yeah, I did question 7.
    SECTION 2 – ELECTIVES
    Questions 7 to 12
    You MUST attempt ONE question from:

Patterns and Processes in Economic Activities

OR

Patterns and Processes in the Human Environment
    OR!!!! :p

• Advertisement

OR!!!! :p

(Or am I missing something? :o)

Look at you with your sexy authoritative mod bold font ;)

Advertisement