Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Geography 2014 ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

pa95 wrote: »
    For the biome question, my headings were 1: how natives have been altered
    2: how soils have been altered
    3: how climate has been altered
    4: how flora/ fauna has been altered
    I linked human activities into each heading, but everyone else I've talked to seemed to have the actual activities as the headings...I suppose it's ambiguous enough, but also I only spoke about 1 biome. The geog teachers in my school were saying that it was so general, so I should be ok...any thoughts on this?
    wait wait we have to put headings in it? really? I didnt see that in any of the samples...Omg my geog teacher..such a..:eek: Much marks i lose for no headings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

I did the "impact of EU enlargement" question in almost entirely economic terms. That's alright isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

did anyone do the human activity on a biome question on the sahel? if so what headings did you use

overgrazing, over cropping and deforestation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You dont lose marks for not drawing diagrams unless they say 'with aid of a diagram' right..?

Right. You maybe missed out on a handy few SRPs for drawing a couple of easy diagrams, but you will not be docked marks.

• Advertisement

123corby wrote: »
    overgrazing, over cropping and deforestation!
    what did you use for overgrazing? I was going to do Conemara but I didnt think it was a Biome right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alannahokl

did anyone do the human activity on a biome question on the sahel? if so what headings did you use

I did the Sahel too but I'm panicking! Are u definitely able to use the Sahel on a biome cos when I went bak to my notes the Sahel was an example of people n soils?:( help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Alannahokl wrote: »
    I did the Sahel too but I'm panicking! Are u definitely able to use the Sahel on a biome cos when I went bak to my notes the Sahel was an example of people n soils?:( help!

Yes. I did the Sahel and did overgrazing, deforestation, and over-cultivation.

I actually thought my answer was great - I was delighted with it. Crammed it at 7AM before the exam :)

what did you use for overgrazing? I was going to do Conemara but I didnt think it was a Biome right?

I used the hot desert biome in the sahel for all the 3 headings. Well I never heard Connemara being mentioned before as a biome haha! did ye not study a biome in class?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Alannahokl

Kyro wrote: »
    Yes. I did the Sahel and did overgrazing, deforestation, and over-cultivation.

I actually thought my answer was great - I was delighted with it. Crammed it at 7AM before the exam :)

Great because everyone did the Mojave desert as a biome n I was the only one who did the Sahel! So glad it's right thank god:O ya i did the same but i didnt mention much animals tho:/

• Advertisement

I used the hot desert biome in the sahel for all the 3 headings. Well I never heard Connemara being mentioned before as a biome haha! did ye not study a biome in class?

No teacher just gave us notes on characteristics of a biome and that was it so I just printed some off night before read through them and Hey Hoe Human interaction came up.. I would have liked chacteristics for obvious reasons But hey at least I had something but anyways the sample I had was using connemara as one of the examples but I didnt think it was a biome so i didnt write about it...And I did deforestation for Brazil in the Amazon and then cultivating in the Sahal is it ok to use 2 different biomes? Oh and are the heading necessary I was never told to do that and the samples didnt have any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Could you call the Asthenosphere the Upper Mantle????:confused:

Could you call the Asthenosphere the Upper Mantle????:confused:

Lol thats such a minor thing :P... I doubt it But if your sitting on a grade for e.g your sitting on 90% and they have gone over the amount of A1's they can give out they might look at minor details like that. But I wouldnt worry about it should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rainydays212

You know for the question about renewable energy, what did people write about that? I didn't know what to write so I talked about geothermal energy

You know for the question about renewable energy, what did people write about that? I didn't know what to write so I talked about geothermal energy

I talked about wind energy i think I dont even remember, the question was more focused on the befits of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ruanmcg

The one about the economic and environmental advantages? I wrote about burning fossil fuels etc. and pollution being bad, and then the fact that countries like Ireland could become self sufficient through wind energy and not rely on fluctuating energy prices and stuff and make money

Yeah I did wind energy

I had stuff like "lowered dependency on oil which can fluctuate in price and effect the world economy", and I referenced the 1970s/80s financial crisis as an example. Other stuff was obvious like reducing greenhouse gases, preserving ecological systems, etc. Don't know if ANY of this was right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rainydays212

Thank you guys!! Hope we were ok :)

No teacher just gave us notes on characteristics of a biome and that was it so I just printed some off night before read through them and Hey Hoe Human interaction came up.. I would have liked chacteristics for obvious reasons But hey at least I had something but anyways the sample I had was using connemara as one of the examples but I didnt think it was a biome so i didnt write about it...And I did deforestation for Brazil in the Amazon and then cultivating in the Sahal is it ok to use 2 different biomes? Oh and are the heading necessary I was never told to do that and the samples didnt have any?

Thats kinda stupid of the teacher tbh.. he/she shoulda went over all the possible biome qs with ye cos its worth 80 marks like! Yeah i love the characteristics of the biome q aswell, but wrote 3 and a half pages on the human interaction one so cant complain! Yeah thats grand the q said 'biomes' so it didnt restrict the answer to just one.. Ah no you wont lose marks as long as you talked about them and the content was good id say!

• Advertisement

Thats kinda stupid of the teacher tbh.. he/she shoulda went over all the possible biome qs with ye cos its worth 80 marks like! Yeah i love the characteristics of the biome q aswell, but wrote 3 and a half pages on the human interaction one so cant complain! Yeah thats grand the q said 'biomes' so it didnt restrict the answer to just one.. Ah no you wont lose marks as long as you talked about them and the content was good id say!

awesome thanks I only got 2 and a half but It was a night before job so Im happy :D good luck with the rest of the Lc

awesome thanks I only got 2 and a half but It was a night before job so Im happy :D good luck with the rest of the Lc

Thats good, despite what ppl say cramming does work! Yeah same to you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

For the geoecology question 16 about how soil characteristics influence soil development, will i get any marks for talking about physical characteristics, fertility and profile of brown earths? .. or is it completely wrong :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

For the question on eu policies on irish economy.i wrote about having acces to trade will others and also that large scale firms cannot compete with small start up company's and that there is a one currency for the eu and stuff about the exchange rates and all.is this right???

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    For the question on eu policies on irish economy.i wrote about having acces to trade will others and also that large scale firms cannot compete with small start up company's and that there is a one currency for the eu and stuff about the exchange rates and all.is this right???
    I think you might have been expected to write about common agricultural policy or common fisheries policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lckid

This was the most specific question I've ever seen on a Geography papaer. How were you meant to write 15 SRPs on this? Did anyone do it?

''C. Sedimentary Structures

Examine how sedimentary structures, such as bedding planes and joints, influence the
    development of landforms.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

lckid wrote: »
    This was the most specific question I've ever seen on a Geography papaer. How were you meant to write 15 SRPs on this? Did anyone do it?

''C. Sedimentary Structures

Examine how sedimentary structures, such as bedding planes and joints, influence the
    development of landforms.''

Nope, I didn't do it. Although if I was to do it I would just write about the limestone pavement (clints and grikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

You know the way for Geoecology, the way the essays are structured is that if you write about three points you need x8 SRPs, and if you write about 4 you need x6 SRPs, if you had extra SRPs for a point would they give you extra marks or just ignore it?

You know the way for Geoecology, the way the essays are structured is that if you write about three points you need x8 SRPs, and if you write about 4 you need x6 SRPs, if you had extra SRPs for a point would they give you extra marks or just ignore it?

Ignore it because the most they can give is for 8 srps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

i had human interaction on soil prepared, overcropping, overgrazin, but when i looked at the paper i drew a blank, so i decided to write a page and a half on overcropping and overgrazing in the sahel region, unfortunately i thought the biome interaction was a completely different question so i decided to write what i had prepared for the soil processes impacting their developments, i spent half a page on humification, and a whole page on over cropping and overgrazing, howmany marks will i get?

Advertisement