Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 18 and travelling abroad

• 05-06-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Myself and a friend are planning to go abroad next year without parents. We will both be 17 at the time. I know that we can fly unaccompanied with no problem but my question is about accommodation. Is it uncommon for hotels/hostels to let minors stay without any supervision? I've been doing alot of research but I'm finding it hard to find much information. We are thinking of maybe Athens, Amsterdam, Bucharest or Budapest, although we are not fussy. If you have any other suggestions please share.
    Some other questions:
    -Are the places I have listed "teenager friendly"? i.e. easy to get around, safe.
    -Would we better to stay in a hostel or a hotel?
    -Do you have any tips/advice from your own experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 africansun

Hello!

Sounds like fun!

As I travelled the first time by myself with a friend I was 15 and she was 16. We went to Cala Ratijada (Mallorca) and we had a great time and made new friends. We booked the hotel at a tourist agency back home in Germany and it has not been an issue at all that we were under 18 years old.

Obviously this happened already quiet some time ago (I am 26 now), so I am not sure if things have changed in the meantime.

I would suggest that you look up placed where you would like to stay - there are many good backpacker guides online - and write them an e-mail to ask if they would be okay with having you there unsupervised. Worst case scenario would be that they ask you for a letter from your parents or so ;)

Have a great time!

... and I forgot one point:

Stay in a hostel / backpackers. There it will be super easy for you and your friend to meet new people from all around the world and plan fun things together.

There is still enough time to stay in a hotel when you get old ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭_ReyRey_

africansun wrote: »
    ... and I forgot one point:

Stay in a hostel / backpackers. There it will be super easy for you and your friend to meet new people from all around the world and plan fun things together.

There is still enough time to stay in a hotel when you get old ;)

Thanks so much for your feedback :) Wow, 15! How did you get around your parents? That's a great idea to go to a tourist agency or travel agents, I'll definitely be doing that. If you don't mind me asking, did you carry cash or did you use a card?

hey!

i am glad that i could help you a bit ;)

my parents were totally cool with it - they know that they could trust me and i would make good choices ;)

as i can remember i took my bank card with my and got my cash from the atm every now and then. i never travel with big amounts of cash with me. maybe living in africa made me a bit paranoid, but i just feel safer with my bank card and some "just in case" cash ;)

let me know if i can help you with anything! :)

Advertisement