Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY boom box.

Options
  • 05-06-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

someone please help me?
    I'm wondering would anyone be able to answer a few questions I have in relation to project I am after undertaking. I'm building a portable boom box. I have salvaged speakers from a stereo at home. 2 x 80 watt 6 ohm speakers, and 2 x 170 watt 8 ohm sub woofers. I'm going to put these into box. I'm going to use a car stereo as the source. I'm wondering what amp would be sufficient. I was told a 300 watt 4 channel. and I was also told a 150 watt amp. I'm stuck here. also I'm wondering what kind of power supply i would need. I have bought a 12 volt 7 amp hour battery used for fire alarm panels. I'm thinking of getting another one, or else using a bike or boat battery instead. Also if i use the fire alarm battery's can i charge them using car battery charger. i want to be able to listen to the system for four hours or so.. so what battery would suffice.

also if an amp is rated as 300 watts does the amp draw 300 watts from the power supply?

id really appreciate some help here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

first off this is the wrong forum, as its the pc building and upgrading forum.

and secondly forget about peak power or rated watts for amps. its all about the rms that you should be looking for.

i suggest you use google and learn about rms

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAXIMUS88

i thought some one might be able to answer of my questions.
    im new to this so i wasnt sure where to start. but thanks for pointing it out. your a gent.

Advertisement