Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

Anyone feel there were mistakes on the paper?
    In the sequences in series question, in our Edco exam papers the recurring question is making a formula the sum of the first n series'. In today's exam it was the same question, but the usual way of just adapting the SN formula wouldn't work? Anyone else get this?

Also. In the final question it asks us to differentiate the height formula. The Dh/dt = 10-2t. This formula should give speed, but in the next question instead of asking for max speed it asks for max height AGAIN?

I think these are two of possibly a few mistakes on the paper. So they're guaranteed marks for you people worrying!

I was the same, I spent ages on the "sum of the first n series" and my formula didn't work and I don't think I made any mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

You know for Q3 A(i) was x equal to 5

Think I got -5

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

cferry3 wrote: »
    Think I got -5

So did I!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

For part 7 was the formula F= 20,000(1-0.15)to the power of 4?

Yep that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

scareyc wrote: »
    i said the length and width were both = 12-h because it said in terms of h..i then proceeded to draw a lovely 3-D box for the examiner

Would it not be 12-2h because you had to take both sides into account

• Advertisement

Sn=14n-n^2

in the next part let = 0 and solve

you get n=0 and n=14

For the max height you find out at what time the speed is 0 (as this is when it's at its max height), in this case 2t=10, t=5 seconds and sub that into height formula to get 25....same answer as reading from the graph on previous page.

Q3 was -5 too

3D box question the length was 12-2h....as it was a square base so was the width...and when you fold up the sides the height is h.
    Volume of a rectangular solid is l x b x h

so h(12-2h)(12-2h) gives the volume formula in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Badwulf wrote: »
    Was there anyone here who could actually do that cardboard box question? no one in my school could get it either :P HELLO NICE BELL CURVE, also I need to know guys do they give out attempt marks easily?

Length : 12 - 2h
    Width: 12 -2h
    Height(given): h

Volume: multiplied l x w x h

h value which gives max volume: Differentiated volume formula and put quadratic equal to 0. Got 2 and 6 but if you put 2 into volume formula you got 0 so 6 was the correct answer.

Max volume: substituted 6 as height into volume formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scareyc

Nick_1494 wrote: »

Ah sh*te. You're probabnly right, hopefully I'll still get an attempt mark

HelenAnn wrote: »
    Length : 12 - 2h
    Width: 12 -2h
    Height(given): h

Volume: multiplied l x w x h

h value which gives max volume: Differentiated volume formula and put quadratic equal to 0. Got 2 and 6 but if you put 2 into volume formula you got 0 so 6 was the correct answer.

Max volume: substituted 6 as height into volume formula.

You get 2 and 6 but 6 doesn't work as the width of the box is 12-2h....12-2(6)=0 therefore h must be 2. Sub in and you get 128 for the volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

skippy1977 wrote: »
    You get 2 and 6 but 6 doesn't work as the width of the box is 12-2h....12-2(6)=0 therefore h must be 2. Sub in and you get 128 for the volume.

Thanks, that must be what I meant! Forgot which one it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Are you not meant to derive the equation twice, then sub in each value to get max and min? That's what I did and it came out with 2 as the max, and putting that back into the original volume formula gave something like 120.
    Even looking at the diagram of the box it definitely didn't look like h was 6.

In no particular order:

Area and Volume
    Constructions (about 20 of them, some of the repetitive)
    Geometry (including a few definitions....what's a theorem, an axiom, the converse)
    Trigonometry (Pythagoras, TOASOHCAH, Sine Rule, Cosine Rule, Area of Triangle)
    Enlargements/ Transformations
    Probability
    Statistics
    Co-Ordinate Geometry - The Line and Circle (real formula question, distance, slope, midpoint, equation of line, equation of circle)

The last 3 questions may well mix Probability/ Statistics and Geometry/ Trigonometry
    The only choice you will be given is between 6A and 6B (geometry question)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jackson07

With paper one out of the way, I was wondering could someone post what topics come up in paper two?

I think the trapezoid rule could come up and maybe a statistics question like mean median mode stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Nick_1494 wrote: »

Yeah I said that. Then for the volume I ended up differentiating it, turning it into a quadreatic equation and finding h=2

Felt like a pure genius doing it but its probably wrong still haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

If the answer to part Q3 a (ii) was -5 and i got 5 and only made a small mistake by forgetting the minus or something similar would i still get a good few marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

skippy1977 wrote: »

I took a wild guess and fired in 128 after messing about on the calculator as my answer without really working it out, how many marks dyou think ill get for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

I was doing Higher Level and never seen how ordinary papers look like I'm so screwed I feel ashamed for not comprehending ordinary level maths I thought I would get an A. I bloody wanna DIE! I need at least a B :( is it possible to get an A2 with paper 2?!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

On the first page for question one was the answer to part three, the profit mark up percentage 17% ??

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

miissjuly wrote: »
    I was doing Higher Level and never seen how ordinary papers look like I'm so screwed I feel ashamed for not comprehending ordinary level maths I thought I would get an A. I bloody wanna DIE! I need at least a B :( is it possible to get an A2 with paper 2?!

It depends on how badly you did. They both carry equal marks so unless you got atleast a b1 you can't get an a2, even with an a1 in paper 2.

• Advertisement

look up the OL sample paper 2. The sample paper in the OL Edco book was pretty similar to the one questions in the exam..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

jazz101 wrote: »
    But.. the second choice was better? That's the only question I was certain of on the paper. The second choice was definitely better. There was about a one hundred euro difference.

I chose the second option as well! thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

This went way worse than my mocks, during the Mocks i was finished in an HOUR! like completely, yet today i found i really needed to read the questions and i used the whole 2 1/2 hours! I got 83% in my mocks and am looking for an A, i don't need it i just want it! I answered everything today but i'm positive some of it was wrong! oh well can't change it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crolekka

I dropped down to OL today without seeing the exam before after doing Higher Level for the previous 2 years. All I knew was that there'd be short questions followed by contexts and applications just like HL. Overall I found the paper very easy after getting 37% in the mocks for HL. I don't know your situation but if anything I sense you must've panicked. Seeing something new and laid out in a simpler fashion must've caught you completely off guard because at HL you're almost looking for stuff that attempts to trick you! Read the question multiple times and it may start to click, the financial maths for example took me a good few attempts before I knew what to do.

Make sure you look at what Paper 2 requires at OL and go over it before Monday. It's unfortunate that you mightn't get the B you need but you can definitely get closer if you have a calm, steady and prepared stab at it because I presume you know most of the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As this thread is a very reasonable length compared to other years, we may as well use it for Paper 2 as well and save proliferation of threads, it gets hard enough to find threads on the forum at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rainydays212

hi guys,
    I've been doing grinds since january and today for the ordinary level paper I was so disappointed. I was quite over-whelmed looking at the paper, as I found it to be much more difficult then I intended and a lot of the stuff I looked over never came up. I attempted every question though but am terrified I failed. All I want is a pass-D3. I'm hoping with a lot of work over the weekend i can make up for it in paper 2. I hear though they want everyone to pass and give attempt marks easily- is this true? I think I am being hard on myself but really was annoyed today, I almost got sick in the exam. I also hear you only need 38% to pass...is this true?
    thank you :)

hi guys,
    I've been doing grinds since january and today for the ordinary level paper I was so disappointed. I was quite over-whelmed looking at the paper, as I found it to be much more difficult then I intended and a lot of the stuff I looked over never came up. I attempted every question though but am terrified I failed. All I want is a pass-D3. I'm hoping with a lot of work over the weekend i can make up for it in paper 2. I hear though they want everyone to pass and give attempt marks easily- is this true? I think I am being hard on myself but really was annoyed today, I almost got sick in the exam. I also hear you only need 38% to pass...is this true?
    thank you :)

Im in the same boat as you, just want to pass. I got 38% in the mocks which is a fail. 40% is a pass, but some say that if you're at 38% they'll boost you up to a pass. Im just gonna completely cram paper 2 this weekend and hope to raise my grade..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rainydays212

scareyc wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as you, just want to pass. I got 38% in the mocks which is a fail. 40% is a pass, but some say that if you're at 38% they'll boost you up to a pass. Im just gonna completely cram paper 2 this weekend and hope to raise my grade..

glad I am not the only one :) I had geography this morning as well so couldn't really study for maths but we do have a lot of time this weekend to study it, even if it means ignoring the study for other exams! we can do this..I genuinely thought the paper today was wicked though. Hopefully a easy-ish paper 2 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Milfhunter

Buataisti wrote: »
    Fairly certain the final long question had a mistake printed. After asking you to differentiate it then asks for the maximum height of the rocket, which has already been given. I think it was supposed to ask for the maximum speed given the question prior to it.

You were suppose to find the maximum height mathematically. I got it, I think you had to defrenciate twice maybe.

• Advertisement

glad I am not the only one :) I had geography this morning as well so couldn't really study for maths but we do have a lot of time this weekend to study it, even if it means ignoring the study for other exams! we can do this..I genuinely thought the paper today was wicked though. Hopefully a easy-ish paper 2 :/

Me too! Only had 30 mins to study for it and couldnt look at it yesterday cuz I want an A in geography, priorities..

Advertisement