Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Sn=14n-n^2

in the next part let = 0 and solve

you get n=0 and n=14

For the max height you find out at what time the speed is 0 (as this is when it's at its max height), in this case 2t=10, t=5 seconds and sub that into height formula to get 25....same answer as reading from the graph on previous page.

Q3 was -5 too

Got all that!!
    lizzmurph wrote: »
    On the first page for question one was the answer to part three, the profit mark up percentage 17% ??

Got like 10.9 % doubt it's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cfc25

For question 3a i got 5 instead of -5, how many marks will i lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

did anyone get the last part in the question on complex number question?...the one where they ask you to find Z3...i spent ages on that question and i couldnt get it out:/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ave123 wrote: »
    did anyone get the last part in the question on complex number question?...the one where they ask you to find Z3...i spent ages on that question and i couldnt get it out:/

I think all you had to do was re-arrange the formula they gave you, so it was like Z3 = Z2/Z1.

Don't remember what answer I got though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

ave123 wrote: »

Yeah I think I got it, -1+4i is what I got..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Katyegg

Does anyone have any idea what to expect for paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

crolekka wrote: »
    I dropped down to OL today without seeing the exam before after doing Higher Level for the previous 2 years. All I knew was that there'd be short questions followed by contexts and applications just like HL. Overall I found the paper very easy after getting 37% in the mocks for HL. I don't know your situation but if anything I sense you must've panicked. Seeing something new and laid out in a simpler fashion must've caught you completely off guard because at HL you're almost looking for stuff that attempts to trick you! Read the question multiple times and it may start to click, the financial maths for example took me a good few attempts before I knew what to do.

Make sure you look at what Paper 2 requires at OL and go over it before Monday. It's unfortunate that you mightn't get the B you need but you can definitely get closer if you have a calm, steady and prepared stab at it because I presume you know most of the stuff!

Yes it took me awhile to do the Question on Mary. I was flying through the first few pages then had to start thinking a little but of course it was way easier than Higher Level. Do they have a bell curve for grades like they can only give out certain amount of A's? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

Paper 2 predictions:

trapezodial rule

trigonometry long question, will include sine+cosine rule,SOH,pythagoras maybe similar triangles

Probabilty will be basic just know stem and leaf diagrams and and=multiply or=add

Co-ordinate geometry will unfortunately have everything i'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what topics can come up in paper 2? do u think inequalities will come up seen it did not come up in p1

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

Did anyone else use the extra paper for rough work and hand it up? And if so what's the story with it..is there attempt marks for parts of that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 crolekka

miissjuly wrote: »
    Yes it took me awhile to do the Question on Mary. I was flying through the first few pages then had to start thinking a little but of course it was way easier than Higher Level. Do they have a bell curve for grades like they can only give out certain amount of A's? :(

Oh well that's good and I wouldn't be too worried :) As for the bell curve I'm not sure as I've heard differing points of view. The failure rate seems to be much lower in maths than other subjects though. I think examiners will try their best to pass you or increase your grade if you're close but of course they can't give marks if nothing's written down.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

cferry3 wrote: »
    Got all that!!

Got like 10.9 % doubt it's right!

I got 10.9%

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So do the markers actually give you marks for solid and decent attempts in the real thing? Because they didn't for our mocks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭neonmaria

I thought the end of the financial maths question was very unclear :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rossman33

Hi.
    For what its worth here are my thoughts on Paper 2 and what I feel you should definitely have a good working knowledge on for paper 2 as a minimum

Statistics
    stem and leaf, skews negative and positive
    Mode mean median( remember to add the middle two values and divide by two)
    scatter plots and correlation coefficient
    empirical rule note mean and one standard deviation is 68%
    mean and two SD is 95%
    mean and three SD is 98% i think check it in the books im going from memory

co ordinate geom line and circle together
    formulas in tables use them
    probably finding equation of circle of centre (h,k) rad r and finding equation of tangent to it at a point on the circle. remember to invert the slope of the line from the centre and change sign

Geometry
    enlargements scale factor and remember area increases or decreases by (scale factor)squared
    Nets definitely will be there somewhere i think it could be a cornetto wrapper so dont forget the circle on top, know what i mean and the trapesium rule maybe from a cubic graph

NB Question 6
    construct the circumcircle after drawing a triangle ( remember to bisect any two sides)
    or
    construct the incircle ( bisect any two angles)
    always show all construction lines, if it doesnt touch perfectly all you will lose is 3/25 marks

trigonometry
    anything can come up, using the rules sin and cosine rules, find the sample q on the 5 story building with fred and barry in the sample papers its a good one. also know how a clinometer works and how to use it be able to describe its operation

another point
    dont leave anything blank on paper 2, if you havent a clue make something up thats relevant, it may get some marks but a blank answer can get nothing.
    good luck

I got something really high like 75% for the profit mark up have a feeling I was way off though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

neonmaria wrote: »
    I got something really high like 75% for the profit mark up have a feeling I was way off though

I got a markup of around 75% too.

The total he made from selling 22 sets at normal prices + the 3 remaining sets discounted at 20% was around 2100. And then I just got the percentage difference between the original 1250 and the new total with the discounted sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

What topics come up for paper 2?

I got a markup of around 75% too.

The total he made from selling 22 sets at normal prices + the 3 remaining sets discounted at 20% was around 2100. And then I just got the percentage difference between the original 1250 and the new total with the discounted sets.

ya that's what I did aswell at least that question was fairly good

mark up was 75.58%

• Advertisement

rossman33 wrote: »
    mark up was 75.58%

For definite? Earlier on in the thread people were getting figures in the teens /:
    I thought 75.58% was a bit high myself but couldn't deduce another way to approach the Q so I hope it's right! :L

Hi.
    For what its worth here are my thoughts on Paper 2 and what I feel you should definitely have a good working knowledge on for paper 2 as a minimum

Statistics
    stem and leaf, skews negative and positive
    Mode mean median( remember to add the middle two values and divide by two)
    mean and two SD is 95%

co ordinate geom line and circle together
    formulas in tables use them
    probably finding equation of circle of centre (h,k) rad r and finding equation of tangent to it at a point on the circle. remember to invert the slope of the line from the centre and change sign

Geometry
    enlargements scale factor and remember area increases or decreases by (scale factor)squared
    Nets definitely will be there somewhere i think it could be a cornetto wrapper so dont forget the circle on top, know what i mean and the trapesium rule maybe from a cubic graph

NB Question 6
    construct the circumcircle after drawing a triangle ( remember to bisect any two sides)
    or
    construct the incircle ( bisect any two angles)
    always show all construction lines, if it doesnt touch perfectly all you will lose is 3/25 marks

trigonometry
    anything can come up, using the rules sin and cosine rules, find the sample q on the 5 story building with fred and barry in the sample papers its a good one. also know how a clinometer works and how to use it be able to describe its operation

another point
    dont leave anything blank on paper 2, if you havent a clue make something up thats relevant, it may get some marks but a blank answer can get nothing.
    good luck

why do ya think circumcircle and incircle will come up ?

hi guys,
    I've been doing grinds since january and today for the ordinary level paper I was so disappointed. I was quite over-whelmed looking at the paper, as I found it to be much more difficult then I intended and a lot of the stuff I looked over never came up. I attempted every question though but am terrified I failed. All I want is a pass-D3. I'm hoping with a lot of work over the weekend i can make up for it in paper 2. I hear though they want everyone to pass and give attempt marks easily- is this true? I think I am being hard on myself but really was annoyed today, I almost got sick in the exam. I also hear you only need 38% to pass...is this true?
    thank you :)

Yeah you will pass they are not out to nail you once you attempted each question you are well on your way and you still have paper 2 so look forward and be optimistic
    crolekka wrote: »
    For definite? Earlier on in the thread people were getting figures in the teens /:
    I thought 75.58% was a bit high myself but couldn't deduce another way to approach the Q so I hope it's right! :L
    Yeah you were right to do it the way you did

mean and two SD is 95%

what does the SD mean and what is the percentages about is that for them to be likely to come up or what ?

caolan1996 wrote: »
    why do ya think circumcircle and incircle will come up ?

one of them MAY come up because they are considered the constructions with the most work in them, you have to be able to construct a triangle, the bisect sides or angles depending on which they ask, then drop radii and then draw the circle
    these are the ones I would practice als the one where you divide a line segment using a compass into say seven equal pieces
    Im not god though. i am only saying what I think MAY be on the paper to give people a slight heads up

what does the SD mean and what is the percentages about is that for them to be likely to come up or what ?

SD = Standard Deviation

It's used when examining data in the form of a bell-curve. The mean will bisect the curve down the centre. (It's easier to see in a textbook) So within one standard deviation of the mean you'll find 68% of the data, 2 SDs and you'll find 95% etc.

It's known as the Empirical Rule which you may be asked to define.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

someone have answers to all questions which were on paper 1?

go to your maths book or notes on empirical rule, you will see what I mean. SD = standard deviation, remember the formula its in the tables

thedumbone wrote: »
    someone have answers to all questions which were on paper 1?

yeah but do you really want them????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

I had around 70% for markup too. I think mine was 64%.

Advertisement