Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

rossman33 wrote: »
    yeah but do you really want them????????

i don't know man!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rossman33

thedumbone wrote: »
    i don't know man!!!!!!!!

Maybe you had better concentrate on paper 2 and heed the guides that are flying around OK

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

Maybe you had better concentrate on paper 2 and heed the guides that are flying around OK

rofl! im hoping at least for 75% on paper 1 ;)

hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭neonmaria

the question on the lone on which she should choose half the people in my class got the first while the other half got the second at first I thought the second but then I said the first choice would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

neonmaria wrote: »
    the question on the lone on which she should choose half the people in my class got the first while the other half got the second at first I thought the second but then I said the first choice would be better

It was the second one. Difference wasn't much between them, about 100euro or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Ya it's 75.5% markup. It asks you the Markup, or % profit markup, of the whole transaction. % Profit Markup is (Profit / Cost price) x 100.

The cost for her to buy 25 Blazers and 25 Trousers is €1250.

She sells 25 sets:

22 @ €89.95 each.
    3 @ €89.95 - 20% discount = 3 @ €71.96.

(22 x €89.95) + (3 x €71.96) = €1978.90 + €215.88 = €2194.78 (Total sales from 25 sets of Blazers/Trousers)

Profit = €2194.78 - €1250 = €944.78. (Total sales minus what it cost her to buy the stock)
    As you can see the Profit is almost the same as the cost to buy it. So % Profit should be high.

% Profit = (€944.78 / €1250) x 100 = €75.56%.

I did 2194.78/1250 x 100 to get 75.58.
    Probably will give the marks for either way seeing as the difference is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crolekka

I did 2194.78/1250 x 100 to get 75.58.
    Probably will give the marks for either way seeing as the difference is minimal.

That's how I did it too. I must say I'm pretty chuffed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rossman33

Just wondering how people got on with question 8 d the value of h that gives the max volume of the box
    did you do it by algebra or differentiation

Just wondering how people got on with question 8 d the value of h that gives the max volume of the box

Used differentiation and let it =0 and got the possible values 2 and 6. Someone pointed out that you could just look at the diagram to tell it wasn't 6 which is true but I didn't think of that at the time. Instead I subbed both values into the volume formula and got 0 for 6 which of course is wrong and 128cm3 for 2 which must've been the max value.

• Advertisement

I derived the volume formula once, then simplified it by dividing everything by 12. Then it was a simple quadratic equation so I got x = 6 and x = 2.

Then to find which was the Max and Min I got the second derivative of the volume formula and subbed in 6 and 2, this gave me 2 to be the Max.

Then to find which was the Max and Min I got the second derivative of the volume formula and subbed in 6 and 2, this gave me 2 to be the Max.

You seem like a lad who'd be well capable of doing Honours! ;)

crolekka wrote: »
    You seem like a lad who'd be well capable of doing Honours! ;)

I was doing it up until today and dropped. Didn't feel like I'd pass it, so didn't risk it.

I was doing it up until today and dropped. Didn't feel like I'd pass it, so didn't risk it.

I was the exact same only I knew I wouldn't pass it! Not worth the risk really unless you'd be willing to repeat if it went belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Just realised I forgot to write in my calculator information on the front of the paper, is that important?!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Ya it's 75.5% markup. It asks you the Markup, or % profit markup, of the whole transaction. % Profit Markup is (Profit / Cost price) x 100.

The cost for her to buy 25 Blazers and 25 Trousers is €1250.

She sells 25 sets:

22 @ €89.95 each.
    3 @ €89.95 - 20% discount = 3 @ €71.96.

(22 x €89.95) + (3 x €71.96) = €1978.90 + €215.88 = €2194.78 (Total sales from 25 sets of Blazers/Trousers)

Profit = €2194.78 - €1250 = €944.78. (Total sales minus what it cost her to buy the stock)
    As you can see the Profit is almost the same as the cost to buy it. So % Profit should be high.

% Profit = (€944.78 / €1250) x 100 = €75.56%.

Yuuus.. Got that bang on. However, I must say that the paper was harder than I expected it to be. By my very rough calculations I got 75% on paper 1 alone.. hoping to bring that up a bit with paper 2.

The questions on the very last page were a bit messed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

yeah but do you really want them????????

Can I have the answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Was her percentage markup definitely over 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Dee15 wrote: »
    Just realised I forgot to write in my calculator information on the front of the paper, is that important?!

Me too! I was so confused what level paper I should take that I panicked I just wrote my exam number and didn't look anywhere else. Is it a very serious matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

miissjuly wrote: »
    Me too! I was so confused what level paper I should take that I panicked I just wrote my exam number and didn't look anywhere else. Is it a very serious matter?

yes 20% went to that alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

zvseire wrote: »
    yes 20% went to that alone

Thanks for your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

am i the only one that cant remember a thing about the exam ? i remember a few questions the part c of the complex numbers question but that is it

caolan1996 wrote: »
    am i the only one that cant remember a thing about the exam ? i remember a few questions the part c of the complex numbers question but that is it

It's up on examinations.ie if you want to look at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

It's up on examinations.ie if you want to look at it again.

ya i dont think i want to

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kittycat94

what graph did people pick for Q4 (is was pick graph A,B,C or D for quadratic funcations)

Also for Q9 what graph did ye draw..it was the rocket question.. I just plotted points and then joined them

get over paper 1 it's done...focus on paper 2 people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Anyone know what'll come up in paper 2?? haven't a clue what to study for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dee15 wrote: »

Write it on Paper Two and say you used the same calculator in Paper One.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

kittycat94 wrote: »
    what graph did people pick for Q4 (is was pick graph A,B,C or D for quadratic funcations)

Also for Q9 what graph did ye draw..it was the rocket question.. I just plotted points and then joined them

i guessed d anybody know the correct answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 PRDY

zvseire wrote: »
    i guessed d anybody know the correct answer?
    I think it was D. When you differentiated the function and worked out X in the slope function it equalled .5, and the graph had a turning point at x=.5

Advertisement