Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Exam Calculator

Options
  • 05-06-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I just found out today that my sharp EL-W506 calculator is prohibited in the exam. Does this mean there is no chance I can get away with using it?? Just wanted to warn everyone too. Even if I wrote down a different calculator model number would the examiner confiscate it? So confused. I don't even know why it is prohibited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

I just found out today that my sharp EL-W506 calculator is prohibited in the exam. Does this mean there is no chance I can get away with using it?? Just wanted to warn everyone too. Even if I wrote down a different calculator model number would the examiner confiscate it? So confused. I don't even know why it is prohibited

Is there a function on your calculator that enables it to graph graphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EoinOUlartun

yvngceebs wrote: »

it doesn't say it can do that but it's on the 'not allowed list' the state exam website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

There's no calculator police checking which calculator you have. As long as you write down an allowed calculator model number, you won't be caught.

It's a great calculator though. It solves quadratic and cubic equations, performs calculations with imaginary numbers, does matrix calculations, differentiation and integration.

But it's prohibited in state exams because it can solve equations and perform matrix calculations. These rules are stated under 74(f) here: http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/S93_05_Use_of_Calculators_in_the_Certificate_Examinations_ev.pdf

I think that the ability to solve quadratic equations is the only prohibited feature that you might want in the JC though.
    yvngceebs wrote: »

It doesn't have that function. Only calculators with big screens that look like this can do that, and nobody uses them in Irish schools.

TI83PLUS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

I would assume if the superintendent saw that you had written down a different model of calculator than that which you have, they could make you change it (thus voiding the exam when it's corrected) or treat it as an attempt to cheat, or of course if another student did the right thing and informed the State Examinations Commission or the superintendent that you were using a prohibited calculator you could be in serious trouble.

While I understand it may not be ideal or possible to do so, you can buy a permitted calculator such as the Casio fx-83GT PLUS or the Sharp EL-W531 for about fifteen pounds in pretty much any shop

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

danm14 wrote: »
    I would assume if the superintendent saw that you had written down a different model of calculator than that which you have, they could make you change it (thus voiding the exam when it's corrected) or treat it as an attempt to cheat, or of course if another student did the right thing and informed the State Examinations Commission or the superintendent that you were using a prohibited calculator you could be in serious trouble.

While I understand it may not be ideal or possible to do so, you can buy a permitted calculator such as the Casio fx-83GT PLUS or the Sharp EL-W531 for about fifteen pounds in pretty much any shop

Like the superintendent would notice it you just wrote another mode down at the very end, mine wouldn't anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Xgracie wrote: »
    Like the superintendent would notice it you just wrote another mode down at the very end, mine wouldn't anyway

Granted it's unlikely, but i don't see why it couldn't happen if they wanted to/thought you had a prohibited one

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Xgracie wrote: »
    My superintendent:,) He has fallen asleep on us, his phone went off and he leaves us alone during exams but he really eases my nerves and is hilarious:) I would hate to have a strict one!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Fifii wrote: »
    My superintendent:,) He has fallen asleep on us, his phone went off and he leaves us alone during exams but he really eases my nerves and is hilarious:) I would hate to have a strict one!

Exactly the same as mine, had his head on the table for a few minutes today. Our vice principal comes in shouting yesterday about us having coats in the room. The superintendent is like "ah sure its grand" lol

Advertisement