Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Card Speed

Options
  • 05-06-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

How do I find out what speed my WiFi card is, I've been told it's a 70mbps card but I want to check before I replace it. It's an Intel Wi-Fi 5100 card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wifi-link-5100-brief.html

"Upto" 300Mbps. Theoretically. Assuming only 802.11n devices connect to router.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

My laptop is a few years old (2008), version 12.2.0.11. But I cannot find anywhere that tells me that it is a 70mbps card, as I was told by UPC, who say that that is the problem why my wifi is so slow. If I buy a 300mbps card and install it, would that sort out my problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They say you have a 70Mbps card. What is their proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

What speeds are you paying for and what speeds are you getting?

If you're signed up to UPC 200Mb or some high speed package like that, you're never going to achieve those speeds with wifi, even with a brand new 802.11ac card.
    Check your speed via ethernet first of all to check whether it's your wifi card or your supplier who's at fault.

Advertisement