Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing shoes what are you wearing ?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Interested to see what people are wearing?
    Been using Mizuno universe & Saucony type A 5 but as the weight increses been wearing Puma Fass 300.

Might give the Adidas Takumi Ren a go when it is released with the boost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Nike Lunaracers for anything between 5k and 15 miles.
    Brooks Green Silence or Saucony Kinvara for the marathon up to 100+ miles.

I used to wear the Lunaracers for 50 milers as well but decided a bit more comfort is worth a few extra grams of weight for that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Adizero cadence on the track.
    A5's up to 10M
    ST5's > 10M

Will get a pair of A6's next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

Mizuno sayanaro for longer races
    Mushas for 5k
    Was wearing the ultima for all my training runs but bought a new pair of sauscony omni 12 from amphibian king this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saucony Type A5, but they're running low on fuel. Need to find something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

My trusty pair of Brooks T5s I got in a bargain bin in Manchester are still holding up although they are showing signs of wear. They are only used for road races of up to 10K and a few strides in training to get used to them before racing.
    I use Puma Faas 300s for longer track work and I can see the outside of the left foot and the inside on the right are the high wear points from going around the bends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Got a pair or Brooks st5's a couple of weeks ago. Going to use them for Waterford. Delighted with them. Never had a pair of racers before and I'd say these are a good start as they have the support and plenty of cushioning for that type of shoe. They haven't changed over the last three or four years apart from colours which I take to be a good sign. If it ain't broke.......

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Nike mayfly up to and including 10K, nike flyknit racer for anything longer. Had a pair of nike vaporfly which I loved but can't find them anymore :( (as in a new pair, mine wore out)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Got a pair or Brooks st5's a couple of weeks ago. Going to use them for Waterford. Delighted with them. Never had a pair of racers before and I'd say these are a good start as they have the support and plenty of cushioning for that type of shoe. They haven't changed over the last three or four years apart from colours which I take to be a good sign. If it ain't broke.......

Obvious but I'll say it anyway, make sure you wear them in your long runs and they are comfortable.

I found them great in races including a few half's, so planned to wear them in the Dublin marathon last year. No problems in the long runs up to 18 miles but then did a couple of 20+'s in them and found that the top of my foot was hurting in the boney section before the small toe. Physio' told me there wasn't enough support in the toe box (which was pretty wide for my foot) and I was risking a stress fracture if I continued using them on 20+s runs and then the marathon.
    I know we're all different but wanted to share my experience. I still wear them in races up to half and find them great.

carlton36 wrote: »
    Obvious but I'll say it anyway, make sure you wear them in your long runs and they are comfortable.

I found them great in races including a few half's, so planned to wear them in the Dublin marathon last year. No problems in the long runs up to 18 miles but then did a couple of 20+'s in them and found that the top of my foot was hurting in the boney section before the small toe. Physio' told me there wasn't enough support in the toe box (which was pretty wide for my foot) and I was risking a stress fracture if I continued using them on 20+s runs and then the marathon.
    I know we're all different but wanted to share my experience. I still wear them in races up to half and find them great.

Cheers Carlton. It was the one thing I was worried about when I got them but have worn them for 16, 21 and 22 mile long runs without any problems. The feet are a little sorer after alright but not too bad. It's worth it for the lightness and extra speed they offer. I love pulling on my old beaten up Ravennas for runs after. They still feel so soft. I'm hoping the st5's will make a fair difference on the day. Last year I wore a pair of 10 and a half Adrenalines, the st5's are a full size smaller and still aren't too tight. Obviously I haven't taken them the full marathon distance but hopefully they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

Good luck in the race... they are great shoes and I was looking forward to benefitting from their lightness in the marathon.

As an afterthought the only negative I have with them is the stupidly light 'ribbon-like' laces in the version I wear. You have to put 3 or 4 knots in them to convince yourself they are not going to open up in the middle of a race.

• Advertisement

carlton36 wrote: »
    Good luck in the race... they are great shoes and I was looking forward to benefitting from their lightness in the marathon.

As an afterthought the only negative I have with them is the stupidly light 'ribbon-like' laces in the version I wear. You have to put 3 or 4 knots in them to convince yourself they are not going to open up in the middle of a race.

Yeah I was well warned about them from a good few reviews I'd read. They need a good double knot alright. I haven't had any problems so far. They'll have an extra tight knot on the 28th.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Yeah I was well warned about them from a good few reviews I'd read. They need a good double knot alright. I haven't had any problems so far. They'll have an extra tight knot on the 28th.

I swapped the laces in the ones I race in.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I currently race in a pair of Inov-8 Road X255, But recently have been looking to change as finding a few issues with my feet when doing longer runs. I wear GT-2000 V2 for most of my training for the comfort factor.
    For my New racing shoes i have been looking at the
    Adidas Adizero Adios Boost
    Asics DS Trainer
    Asics DS Racer
    Brooks St5
    Brooks T7
    I just can decide what route to go down, Full on racer or Racer/trainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I finally got around to reading Born to Run just recently, and while the barefoot debate has obviously moved on, and I was aware of the 5 Fingers thing, it did convince me of the need to get out of my clunky ASICS 21 series and into something lighter and lower. So now I have some A6 racers, and a pair of Kinvara 4s. I've Mizuno Hitogamis on order as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

I've a few pairs on the go. Got Nike streaks for track sessions and 5k races. Mizuno Hitogami for mile/2mile reps for that bit extra cushioning. Nike free's for some tempo work and even for the odd hill or two.

boydkev wrote: »
    I currently race in a pair of Inov-8 Road X255, But recently have been looking to change as finding a few issues with my feet when doing longer runs. I wear GT-2000 V2 for most of my training for the comfort factor.
    For my New racing shoes i have been looking at the
    Adidas Adizero Adios Boost
    Asics DS Trainer
    Asics DS Racer
    Brooks St5
    Brooks T7
    I just can decide what route to go down, Full on racer or Racer/trainer.

I decided to treat myself to a new pair of lightweight racing shoes on friday and got the adidas Adizero Adios 2's which were on sale in the Edge they are not the new boost ones. Wore them for a light run on friday and they felt light and comfortable. I then wore them for the Dunmanway 10K and i am very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Santa is asking what I want for xmas. Was thinking of a pair of racing shoes (5K to 10K, possibly 10M) thou I'm not really at the pace where they may be of benefit but sure I might as well ask!

I'm currently running in Mizuno Wave Rider 17's (with orthotics). Any recommendations? I do have my eye on Adidas Adizero Adios Boost 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

viperlogic wrote: »
    Santa is asking what I want for xmas. Was thinking of a pair of racing shoes (5K to 10K, possibly 10M) thou I'm not really at the pace where they may be of benefit but sure I might as well ask!

I'm currently running in Mizuno Wave Rider 17's (with orthotics). Any recommendations? I do have my eye on Adidas Adizero Adios Boost 2

I got myself a pair of the Adidas ones you mentioned on the grounds that if they were good enough for Steve Way they were good enough for me!

Originally I had the 'right' shoes for my gait (gt2160) but having read about the US army study where giving people shoes randomly vs based on gait analysis made zero difference I changed my mind. So far have run a marathon or two in them & recently the 30m in Sixmilebridge and have noticed no difference (apart from the fact they're significantly lighter). Further tests will come in the Donadea 50k & 56 miles in Comrades next year.

Disclaimer: ymmv!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Using the DS racer 10 for sessions and have raced in them up as far as the half marathon with no problems at all. Very light (6.3oz) but a nice bit of cushion at the same time.

Just saw Mizuno are bring out a new Hitogami, Hitogami 2. Being a Mizuno fan may check them out thou they certainly wont be on sale anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

opus wrote: »
    the US army study where giving people shoes randomly vs based on gait analysis made zero difference I changed my mind.

No mention of gait analysis in that report. ;)

It specifically says based on foot type or arch height which is a completely different load of cobblers and no self respecting runner should allow themselves to be recommended shoes based on a wet foot test or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

AKW wrote: »
    No mention of gait analysis in that report. ;)

It specifically says based on foot type or arch height which is a completely different load of cobblers and no self respecting runner should allow themselves to be recommended shoes based on a wet foot test or similar.

Apologies, probably linked the wrong one :o

One of these is probably the one I heard discussed on a podcast - Gait Analysis and Shoe Fit: Do They Prevent Injury?
    Two studies recently published in The American Journal of Sports Medicine and the British Journal of Sports Medicine found absolutely no correlation between shoe types and injury reduction/avoidance. The study published in the American Journal of Sport Medicine (ajs.sagepub.com; Injury Reduction Effectiveness of Assigning Running Shoes Based on Plantar Shape in Marine Corps Basic Training) involved thousands of military recruits who were divided into various groups. Some were fitted with the "proper shoe type", while others were given shoes at random without any assessment of foot strike or gait pattern. At the end of the study period the reported results indicated that there was no relation between fit and injury prevention.

In the British Journal of Sports Medicine (bjsm.bmj.com; The Effect of Three Different Levels of Footwear Stability on Pain Outcomes in Women Runners) a similar study was done involving 80 female runners who completed a 13-week running trial. Interestingly, in this study the majority of those who reported missing days due to injuries or pain were those who were fitted to their shoes.

The final recommendations based upon these studies were that shoe fitting has no bearing on injury prevention as it relates to running. It seems to boil down to the basic rule that any athlete should follow: If it hurts, it's not right for you.

Apologies for dragging this off-topic!

AKW, any recommendations on a racing flat for a heal striker, 172 pounds / 78 KG's, 5K pace would be just sub 6min/miles? Currently running in Mizuno Wave Rider 17's. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

viperlogic wrote: »
    AKW, any recommendations on a racing flat for a heal striker, 172 pounds / 78 KG's, 5K pace would be just sub 6min/miles? Currently running in Mizuno Wave Rider 17's. Thx

Get off your heels! :)

You must be neutral if in the Rider or did I see somewhere you are in orthotics?

If neutral any of the light racers would be fine.

If in orthotics it's hard to get a racer that is torsionally stiff enough for the orthotic to work. So either a mild support racer like the DS Racer 10 / Saucony Fastwitch type or suck it up in a neutral without the orthotics over the 5k.

You would be very unlikely to undo any orthotics work over 5k unless racing every day.

AKW wrote: »
    Get off your heels! :)

I have tried but found HR and effort go up! If you look at my training log I include all the running dynamics such as stride length, cadence and vertical oscillation etc which look all wrong/bad to what it considered the "norm"! I be a great case study id say!
    You must be neutral if in the Rider or did I see somewhere you are in orthotics?
    Correct, I wear orthotics as have flat feet and over pronate.
    If neutral any of the light racers would be fine.

If in orthotics it's hard to get a racer that is torsionally stiff enough for the orthotic to work. So either a mild support racer like the DS Racer 10 / Saucony Fastwitch type or suck it up in a neutral without the orthotics over the 5k.

You would be very unlikely to undo any orthotics work over 5k unless racing every day.

Was half thinking that regards no wearing the orthotic for a short race.

Thanks for your time S

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Adizero cadence on the track.
    A5's up to 10M
    ST5's > 10M

Will get a pair of A6's next

Wore the Faas 200r for a HM on Saturday, really like this shoe, no post race calf or achilles tenderness.

Picked up a pair of Adidas Adizero Adios Boost 2 today in The Edge in Cork. Big thanks to Simon in there for giving me a very competitive price. Can't wait to give them a go.

Anyone looking to buy them, deffo size up. I read many go a half size up but from Mizuno I had to go a full size up.

While there, I checked out the DS Racers, wow they are light.

I have been wearing the adios 2(non-boost) and find them great and for christmas have decided to treat myself to a pair of the Boston 5 Boosts as i have heard great things about them. Just a tad heavier than the adios i have but very comfortable. So looking forward to trying them once i recover from serious ligament damage to my knee. Hopefully after new year

Advertisement