Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Plugin help!

Options
  • 05-06-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I have a custom plugin that was altered to work with a specific theme, the problem is the developer has stopped working on it and the plugin has now lost compatibility with the latest version of WP, the theme works fine.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pay to have a plugin updated by a 3rd party to restore compatibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Theres no reason why someone couldnt adjust the plugin to get it working, the only concern is what happens when you update Wordpress again? Who knows if the plugin will continue to work or not. If its written properly , in theory it should but it may not.

Why dont you post some details here and maybe it may end up being something small?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is the plugin free and publicly available or was it purchased?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

It is possible, but it's not possible to enumerate without further details about the plugin and theme. I'd be happy to take a look later today if you can PM the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

usually it is. there might be an update to the plugin that does not change what the developer did or alternatively the file(s) that are involved in updating the plugin so it works with the current version of wp do not change the files the developer worked and can easily be replaced after the plugin is updated.

so.. maybe

did the developer change the look of the plugin or its functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Thanks for the many replies!

The plugin in 100% free, the customised version is on this page, this is the one that has stopped working with Wordpress, it installs fine but the shortcode button doesn't display on the page editor screen:

http://themesmarts.com/themes/finale-elegant-wordpress-theme/

And the original, which is still supported is here:

http://www.wpexplorer.com/symple-shortcodes/

• Advertisement

Why can't you install the plugin from the wpexplorer website? It's the latest version (1.6) while the file hosted on the themesmarts website is version 1.4

Talisman wrote: »
    Why can't you install the plugin from the wpexplorer website? It's the latest version (1.6) while the file hosted on the themesmarts website is version 1.4

The themesmart version has been customised to work with the finale theme and it's those customisations I'm looking for.

I had done a file comparison on the two folder structures and didn't see anything to suggest there were major differences. The two plugins use different CSS so you could try replacing the CSS file in the 1.6 version with that from the Finale theme and see how it works.

Talisman wrote: »
    I had done a file comparison on the two folder structures and didn't see anything to suggest there were major differences. The two plugins use different CSS so you could try replacing the CSS file in the 1.6 version with that from the Finale theme and see how it works.

Cool, I'll try that and report back. Thanks for checking!

No luck with that. The short code button appears but with the non-customised options.

• Advertisement

The two versions of the plugin contain the same shortcodes:

symple_callout_shortcode
    symple_skillbar_shortcode
    symple_spacing
    symple_social
    symple_highlight
    symple_button
    symple_box
    symple_testimonial
    symple_column
    symple_toggle
    symple_accordion
    symple_tabgroup
    symple_tab
    symple_pricing_table
    symple_pricing
    symple_heading
    symple_googlemap
    symple_divider

If the shortcode you are looking for is missing from that list then it's not coming from the plugin and more than likely is in the functions.php file of the theme or a file included in it.

Advertisement