Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewferm Kriek: No bubbling in my fermenter

Options
  • 05-06-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing my third ever extract brew. It's a Brewferm Kriek. I pitched it last night. I'm a bit concerned that it isn't bubbling through the airlock nearly 24 hours later. It might be that it's only 12 litres of wort in a 25L+ fermenting bucket and it has a greater head space to fill.

The lid does seem to be bulging and if I press down on it, it bubbles through.

I think all the temperatures were good when i pitched although the wort was about 24 degrees when i pitched rather than the 20 the instructions gave. The current temperature is 20 degrees as recommended in the hot press.

Do you think the yeast is still active? Would there be anything to gain from pitching in more yeast?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

groom wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing my third ever extract brew. It's a Brewferm Kriek. I pitched it last night. I'm a bit concerned that it isn't bubbling through the airlock nearly 24 hours later. It might be that it's only 12 litres of wort in a 25L+ fermenting bucket and it has a greater head space to fill.

The lid does seem to be bulging and if I press down on it, it bubbles through.

I think all the temperatures were good when i pitched although the wort was about 24 degrees when i pitched rather than the 20 the instructions gave. The current temperature is 20 degrees as recommended in the hot press.

Do you think the yeast is still active? Would there be anything to gain from pitching in more yeast?
    huge headspace to pressurise so it'll take a while to build
    is there condensation on the lid and is there a ring above the liquid or foam on it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do you think the yeast is still active?
    All sounds fine. Ignore the bubbler, it doesn't tell you anything useful. Give it a few days then check the gravity -- that's the only way to be sure of what's happening with the fermentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Thanks guys. Just needed a bit of reassuring.

Would the condensation be on the outside (top) of the lid or the inside?

I can't really tell of there is kraeusen building. I've resisted lifting the lid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've resisted lifting the lid
    Have a look. It may make you feel better. People were making perfectly good beer for centuries before someone said "Hey, let's put a top on this thing to stop stuff from falling in."

Yeah I've seen your opinion on fermenter lids :) Your right.
    I do like a lid though as a barrier to me incessently poking at the brew and taking hourly gravity readings

• Advertisement

Had a peek.
    There was condensation under the lid and a decent pop when I opened it
    The kraeusen looks very wishy washy as you can see but the gravity it down to 1.28 from 1.55 after 42 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Should be fine, cover it back up and leave it! Gravity is dropping so all sounds well.

Advertisement