Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Weeks July

• 05-06-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just over 2 weeks holdiay in late July. I am looking for suggestions on where to visit. I am looking for a mix of everything really - culture, scenery, adventure, sunshine.

I was thinking of South East Asia(Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, Indonesia) but looks like it is rainy season then? Other possibles - Central Asia (Tibet/Nepal), Central America (Costa Rica, Guatamala, Mexico)? Or maybe better to pick an area of USA or Canada?

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Yeah rainy season in South East Asia. In two weeks you'd never see a fraction of the 4 countries you listed. I'm recently back from 5 weeks of hard travelling in Burma and didn't see half the country.

What are you interests exactly? I love history and culture, nice scenery, not too interested in adventure sports, etc. 2 weeks is such a short space of time, especially when you're going long haul. You could pick somewhere self contained like Cuba.

Another possibility is Europe - island hopping in Greece/inter-railing through Eastern Europe/fly into France, hire a car and drive to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I think we went to SE Asia in June. We were told it was heading into monsoon season, but it was the only time we could go. We definitely didn't experience monsoon that time, so you might be lucky. Still, it's also part of the experience and you don't get rain like that anywhere else!

Your SE Asia itinerary is too much because the distances are so vast. As we did, you could manage some of Thailand and Cambodia, and possibly make it to southern Vietnam by road in that timeframe. The benefit of Thailand and Vietnam, and to an extent Cambodia, is it's very geared for tourism, so it's easier and quicker to get around, travel distances. An alternative is to fly to save time.

I would definitely say that, in two weeks, you're better off picking three places/highlights, giving yourself a bit more time to explore each place.

If I was to pick a Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam two-week itinerary, I'd be thinking: Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Koh Samet island, or near there -> Siem Reap/Angkor -> Phnom Penh -> Ho Chi Minh city with an overnight tour of the Mekong Delta.

If you choose to fly further afield, you could see more diversity (e.g. fly to Hanoi).

It's a standard route, but you'd get enough out of it, I think.

Others might have better suggestions.

Advertisement