Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much approx to concrete or slab an average/small garden

Options
  • 05-06-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

how much to concrete or slab an average/small garden??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its hard to know without the actual size.

Also do you want someone to do it or diy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tiablue

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its hard to know without the actual size.

Also do you want someone to do it or diy.

its about 10 meters in length and roughly the same across, and DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

How deep ?

no idea lol sorry but i wouldnt say it would be awfully deep as we just bought the house, its a typical council estate house size

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

10x10 is 100 square meters / how deep you want the concrete with give you the amount of concrete.....ie 4 inches of concrete ..approx 10 cm would mean you need 10 cubic meters of concrete.....

Ring local suppliers and get a quote for ten meters of concrete...

if you want it eight inches deep it's 20 meters of concrete....

• Advertisement

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 34 edger

I have a bit of experience in this and if it's only a back garden witch will never have traffic on it then three inches is enough. So 100 square meters by .075 mm in dept equals 7.5 metres of concrete. In Monaghan where I'm from it's around 70 euro a metre. Roughly 560 euro.

definately no traffic on it, the most that will be on it is garden furniture lol

Concrete is a really tough work;) myself and a mate put 2m of concrete in a back yard using a wheelbarrow via the side entrance and it was killer. I would never go with concrete again unless the lorry could drive right up to the site.

so would concrete paving slabs be a better option and cheaper do ye think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Apart from the concrete you need to put down 804 or something similar(2 inch crusher run would do) and whack the **** out of it before you lay concrete. Would a truck with a conveyer gain access to your back yard. the more help the better at this job.;)

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Apart from the concrete you need to put down 804 or something similar(2 inch crusher run would do) and whack the **** out of it before you lay concrete. Would a truck with a conveyer gain access to your back yard. the more help the better at this job.;)

have no way of getting a truck near the back yard unfortunately

Roadstone have 600mm x 600mm concrete slabs for €6 each

B&Q have a slightly more decorative slab 400mm x 400mm for €2.50 each.

All you need then is few bags of sand for a base and a small bit of cement to point the gaps. At least with the slabs, you can do them at your own pace.

think we will go with the slab option, thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

tiablue wrote: »
    think we will go with the slab option, thanks everyone

Lugging around 100 sq m of slabs is HARD work. You don't just put them down, you have to level the sand underneath and this is a bit of an art. You will probably pick up and put down each slab 2 or 3 times which is hard on your back. I don't know how much they weight but the 600 600 30 ones we used must have been 20kg+ and are hard to pick up when down and make perfectly square with the adjacent slabs.

An easy option would be to lay loise stones. Much cheaper by the tonne too.Go for 3 inch deep from a builders merchant. I got 15 tonnes for €450 that did about 80ft drive

Advertisement