Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Rabbit

Options
  • 05-06-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Struggling to find in Cork, English market stocks frozen but haven't seen fresh.

Anyone know if it's available in Cork either in shops or market ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Andip wrote: »
    Struggling to find in Cork, English market stocks frozen but haven't seen fresh.

Anyone know if it's available in Cork either in shops or market ?

Try and find out about someone in your area doing a bit of shooting. This time of year is a good time for nice young rabbits. They're an agricultural pest and lots of lads shooting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Most farms around the city are full of them but I wouldnt eat them. Im no expert but as far as I know some farmers put down poison so you could be taking a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

To be honest I'd rather buy from a recognised source as I'm feeding family, just seems amazing that there are so few suppliers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Ring around the craft butchers? I got mine in one of the craft butchers in Midleton last time, but it was a good while back. They either do game or they don't.

Yum btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

when you said fresh rabbit the first thing I thought about was a pet shop ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

pretty sure I saw fresh rabbit in the newish stall (West Cork food or something) by Bresnans butchers in the market last week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Place is alive with them, had to swerve a good few times to avoid them on the road... the grounds of the Radisson Blu is like that scene in Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Most farms around the city are full of them but I wouldnt eat them. Im no expert but as far as I know some farmers put down poison so you could be taking a risk.

The poison is for foxes and 'should' only be out at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I've seen fresh rabbit for sale in the English Market recently. It's the place that sells chicken, venison, veal etc at the fountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you were to get one off someone that shoots them, I imagine that's the type source for the rabbit meat the butcher uses (shot or ferreting)

I had plenty of wild rabbit as a young lad, never did me any harm :)

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    If you were to get one off someone that shoots them, I imagine that's the type source for the rabbit meat the butcher uses (shot or ferreting)

I had plenty of wild rabbit as a young lad, never did me any harm :)

If it was a recognised or recommended source I'd have no great issues, just not keen on 'little Johnny' with his air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Ask in the hunting forum, ideally for someone using a rifle. Though it been said that rabbit ran down by dogs taste best that seems counter intuitive.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=466

stylie wrote: »
    Ask in the hunting forum, ideally for someone using a rifle. Though it been said that rabbit ran down by dogs taste best that seems counter intuitive.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=466

Thanks but the thought of people using dogs to catch rabbits would turn me vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

You can hunt with bullets too FYI

maglite wrote: »
    You can hunt with bullets too FYI

I know and I'm quite happy with that - don't want to go off topic was just looking for humanely culled fresh rabbit from a recognised source.

As it happens I think I've tracked some down in the farmers market in Midleton so thanks for all the suggestions .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

stylie wrote: »

It's to do with the adrenaline in the meat, we used all eat Halal meat prior to the animal rights brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Like Loire said, that chicken and game vendor by the fountain often has fresh wild rabbit (shot by another trader) and fresh French farmed rabbit.

Wild is much tastier but takes long, slow cooking.€7 for the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Advertisement