Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting ESB Seal

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I have to change 4x16 SWA cable tomorrow. At the moment it's a BRY+N Cable coming from an ESB Disk Meter.

I've to swap it with BBG+N Cable to feed a new Dist Board.

Can I cut the ESB seal myself, change the cable, then call someone from Networks to come out and reseal it, or do they have to remove and apply??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ring esbn and tell them your proposal, they usually give the go ahead over the phone, helps if you know some one local in the esb and ring them direct.

im not sure they would allow swopping out swa cables into a meter as well as breaking seal

I just read ops post there again, thought it was into an isolator it was going, you are correct.
    There is nothing incorrect in ringing the esbn to ask to cut a seal on esb fuse unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Always wondered myself about esb seals im spark trained industrial maintenance now no experience with esb.

Had a fella i work with ring me ask to check his board no power in the house.
    Checked board traced back to esb mains no voltage so looked at esb meter circa 1950's house i saw seals didnt know what i could do.

Turned out to be fault on esb side
    Any experience or common practices from people on here just curious i am .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I just read ops post there again, thought it was into an isolator it was going, you are correct.
    There is nothing incorrect in ringing the esbn to ask to cut a seal on esb fuse unit.

apologies i deleted as it wasn't constructive

I'd be thinking get them out in the morning to disconnect ,and back later to reconnect and seal up

are you intending to gland the swa?
    you prob don't need a cabinet mcb with swa?

crasy dash wrote: »
    Any experience or common practices from people on here just curious i am .

If I was upgrading from an old fuseboard to an mcb board and the only means of isolation of power on tails was to take out the esb fuse i would ring the esb and tell them of my intentions.
    This would be where the meter be beside the board in an older premises, 9 times out 10 the tails would need upgrading so i would join onto the old tails put in a cert esb would come out wire in new tails and reseal meter.

• Advertisement

are you intending to gland the swa?
    you prob don't need a cabinet mcb with swa?

I dont know the ops setup.

question is to op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If I was upgrading from an old fuseboard to an mcb board and the only means of isolation of power on tails was to take out the esb fuse i would ring the esb and tell them of my intentions.
    This would be where the meter be beside the board in an older premises, 9 times out 10 the tails would need upgrading so i would join onto the old tails put in a cert esb would come out wire in new tails and reseal meter.

Thanks for the reply Sir Arthur
    Always learning something new for the brain .
    Working in dairy factory so rarely come up against domestic scene

Thanks again for info

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Its an existing Main Switch Board... 8 Main Isolators Feeding 8 Land Lord ESB Meters, then out to the Dist Boards.

So one if the runs is now obsolete, so I'd be using the existing Meter / MPRN
    for the new Dist Board

So yeah I'd be glanding into the cable side of the panel, then the tails into the meter, of which one side is sealed

question is to op

You were quoting my post? :confused:

• Advertisement

Seanieke wrote: »

So yeah I'd be glanding into the cable side of the panel, then the tails into the meter, of which one side is sealed

You need to get the esb on board before you do anthing there anyway and discuss a plan of action.

You need to get the esb on board before you do anthing there anyway and discuss a plan of action.

So much for a 6AM start so :)

Any idea what's the charge on this

I remember my sparks back in the day having a crimpers in the van :eek:

So much for a 6AM start so :)

Any idea what's the charge on this

I dont know different rates everywhere, wont the owner of the premises be paying that cost directly?

They will, but I'm sure I'll be one doing the calling so dont want to land them with a big cost, rather ease them into it!

They will, but I'm sure I'll be one doing the calling so dont want to land them with a big cost, rather ease them into it!

If he cant afford to do the job he should not be doing it, sounds like with all this uncertainty that you are on day work? If you are, the client could get a heart attack if you land him with a massive bill.
    Just thinking back over this thread i am wondering are you out of your depth altogether here, initially i thought it was an isolotor you were connecting into but an esb meter is a different story altogether. That is esb property an a no no and as an rec i am suprised you thought it may be ok to complete such a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I dont know different rates everywhere, wont the owner of the premises be paying that cost directly?

I done a rewire recently and Esbn charged €166 to change meter tails and fit isolator on their side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Robbie.G wrote: »
    I done a rewire recently and Esbn charged €166 to change meter tails and fit isolator on their side

Decent enough price to be fair to them.

would esbn even reconnect swa tails direct into 3p meter now..i'd imagine the esb code of practice shows a protective device

a new multiway panelboard the 3p tails would prob connect into a breaker or 3p switchfuse

Advertisement