Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Munich

Options
  • 06-06-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm visiting Munich for a week in July with my boyfriend and was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for places to stay? Looking for somewhere central and reasonably priced.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the best places to visit there and things to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

How central and how reasonably priced?
    If you want reasonably priced + nice then often you have to compromise and choose well located (i.e. connected to underground/ s bahn to have you standing in Marienplatz in 10 minutes) rather than 10minute by foot from Marienplatz.
    Public transport in Munich is almost 50years ahead of Dublin so rather then 10km from the centre being an hour journey by irregular bus to the centre, its a 10minute underground ride with a train coming every 5 minutes or more regular.
    Oh, and the night busses/ trams are free to use on a normal day ticket, and normal trains/busses run till 1.30am on a weekday and 2.30 at weekends. So again, staying a smidgeon out of the very very centre isnt inconvient at all.
    This just isnt obvious if youve only ever experienced a transport system designed by civil servants who have free parking spaces just off stephens green and havent a clue of the misery of the daily commute in Ireland.

anyhow, theres 100s of hotels in munich and prices are somewhat unpredictable.
    That said, theres a few hotels near the station which I have had guests stay at which are very good which you should consider.
    Eurostars book hotel, Europaischer, Mark Hotel, Mercure City and a couple of stops from Marienplatz Novotel City and Hilton.
    Near Marienplatz the Blauer bock is good, and torbrau and am platzl are more upmarket but really really really good hotels.
    Checkout hrs.de and bookings.com if any of those come up

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi,

Munich is so easy to get around that you don't really need to be bang in the middle. Also it is a very safe city so walking is no problem. I don't know your budget so cannot give a recommendation but I would search in bookings.com then look at the map and you will see the hotel location, once you pick a hotel in walking distance to the S Bann or tram you will be fine. There are lots to do you could get the S Bann out to Dachau concentration camp, the BMW location is very good one part is free and is very good. You can also do a day trip to Salzburg get the Bayern Ticket and both of you will get there for around €27.00. Also look up the Tollwood Summer Festival is out near the Olympic Park where BMW is and this would be worth going to.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - I stayed near the Haufbahnhof, although I did try to get near the marienplatz, but was priced out. It tured out to be just as handy as most of my day trips started from the the hbf.

In Munich I recommend a city tour to start with to get your bearings - I done Mikes Bike Tours, which was good, but I prefer local tour guides - mine was from America and had the sterotypical OTT American personality. I really enjoyed the BMW Factory Tour (booking in advance a necessity) and the associated Museum. BMW Welt was okay.

Watching the surfers at the park was pretty cool. The HaufBrauHaus is okay - just okay. I'd recommend the Augustiner Brewery ahead of it. Otherwise, it is just wandering around looking at architecture, Museums and enjoying the beer gardens.

There is a lot to see & do - I found the food to be just okay - the Bavarian food was a bit heavy and stogy for my liking, but there are many choices.

My hotel charged extra for breakfast, but I paid up for it as it saves time in the morning instead of having to go search for a cafe - which doesn't serve an equivalent choice as the hotel.

Depending on how long you are staying you could consider a day trip on the train (day tickets are quite good value) out to somewhere like Regenberg, Nuremburg, Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber or down to Schwangau to see Neuschwanstein Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

Take a a day trip down to Tergenzee, you wont be disappointed. Its a lakeside town at the foot of the Alps. Some beautiful hotels with restaurants and beer gardens beside the lake. Takes about an hour by train from Munich central. There is a cable car which operates year round which brings you halfway to the top of the nearest mountain with a walking trail to the top where there's a restaurant which serves beautiful German food and beer with an amazing view over the Alps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The free walking tour is pretty good, it's free because the guides work off tips, you don't have to tip them obviously but it was a great tour so we gave him about €8 each.

http://www.newmunichtours.com/

If you have a full week I'd definitely go for a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The sandeman free city tours were subject of a tv documentary a while back which exposed their dodgy business methods
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t168465.html
    There's other firms like munich walking tours who I'd recommend quicker.

Previously mikes bike tours would have been an automatic must do but not sure any more after their recent price hike. Still, the concept of a bike tour works well in munich as everything is fairly near the centre but there's stuff just a little outside the centre (some buildings from the nazi era in particular ) that is easy on a bike to get to but just that bit too far by foot.
    Someone like radius tours would be worth checking out for a bike tour.
    http://www.radiustours.com/index.php/en/english-tours

Advertisement