Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What level of education have you achieved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Level 8. Was going to do a Master but meh. Maybe in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Level 8.

Although in most cases I wouldn't call it education in that you don't educate a dog, you train it. And that is the main function of the so called "education" system - training. Training to be good little lapdogs for industry without a critical or original thought in mind, and with a sparse understanding of their role and position in society and history.

One just has to look at the levels of commentary, analysis and discourse in this country by so-called educated people. Pathetic.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Personal Development? I learned that third level was much easier than second level and if you can cram, you can succeed.

I had the exact opposite experience. I was able to get a good Leaving Cert by cramming and rote learning but this didn't work at all for my undergrad. The main effect third level had on me was that it made me feel completely stupid and inadequate. So I greatly respect and envy anybody who has the intelligence and dedication to go on and do a PhD.

And I say dedication because a friend of mine, who has a 1st class honours degree and MSc with distinction, quit his PhD recently. He said he was sick of education, that it wasn't what he really wanted to do and that he needed a break. Goes to show that even if you are really smart it's not always enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Wow, so over 80% have some form of degree.

So who's posting all the Shinner Bot, Brit Bot, RCC hating, Traveller hating, Blueshirt disparaging, mindless generalisation posts then?

All the dummies on the other threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

nibtrix wrote: »
    I believe ACA is counted as a Level 9, I don't know about ACCA

ACCA is level 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Almost finished Level 9.
    It makes no difference to me with regards to getting a job as I already have one, and this won't open up any new opportunities for me.
    I did it because I was interested in the area and even though it's been pretty tough at times, I've enjoyed it.
    I'm glad it's nearly over, but I'm glad I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Maphisto wrote: »

So who's posting all the Shinner Bot, Brit Bot, RCC hating, Traveller hating, Blueshirt disparaging, mindless generalisation posts then?

Well, 80% of respondents to this poll have a degree.

I suspect that this is because many of those without a higher education do not read threads about education. Some people love to boast about how educated they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Poll Options

What level of education have you achieved?
    • David Beckham
    • Junior Cert
    • Leaving Cert
    • Level 6
    • Level 7
    • Level 8
    • Anything higher than Level 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wait. Why can't people with a degree hate the RCC? Or love the Shinners or the Brits? Or disparage the Blueshirts?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wait. Why can't people with a degree hate the RCC? Or love the Shinners or the Brits? Or disparage the Blueshirts?

Well my post was slightly tongue in cheek.

They can, but wouldn't one expect that their posts would be well reasoned, quote sources and avoid swinging generalisations. Otherwise its just time and money pi$$ed away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Junior Cert. I left school in 5th year to become a full time carer for my Mum when she was diagnosed with early onset Dementia. I'm 21 now and plan on going back to complete my Leaving Cert eventually. Not sure when though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pherekydes wrote: »

He's talking about Liberal Arts graduates in regards to the RCC. Hate is a very strong word by the way, it's like something a conservative would use..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Well my post was slightly tongue in cheek.

They can, but wouldn't one expect that their posts would be well reasoned, quote sources and avoid swinging generalisations. Otherwise its just time and money pi$$ed away.

You have to be joking. Education and intelligence are separate entities. A degree doesn't make people more intelligent, it simply focuses their latent intelligence on a specific subject.

larrlin24 wrote: »
    Junior Cert. I left school in 5th year to become a full time carer for my Mum when she was diagnosed with early onset Dementia. I'm 21 now and plan on going back to complete my Leaving Cert eventually. Not sure when though!

I wish you all the very best ;)

You have to be joking. Education and intelligence are separate entities. A degree doesn't make people more intelligent, it simply focuses their latent intelligence on a specific subject.

They must be able to put a decent essay / report together though? Or did I just miss out on SFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

I wish you all the very best ;)

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'm on my third college degree and have several professional qualifications.

I'm on my third college degree and have several professional qualifications.

Would you not be better off getting a job Wacker?

rwg wrote: »
    Would you not be better off getting a job Wacker?

Don't worry I have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am still working on my BA, has been a struggle so far and will take a few more years yet, even then it is an Arts degree so I will have to go further for it to be worth it in the long run so probably will be in my late 30s before it is done and dusted.

Third level education does not necessarily equate to sophistication.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Level 8 for now, will probably do a part time level 9 some time in the future. No rush :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

It sure is, when you try and have an educated conversation with someone and they throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get their way and get touchy.
    *Where* did the OP do that? :confused:

I don't know anything about this "level" stuff - I have a degree and a masters. I enjoyed them, learned a lot, and they helped get me the job I'm in, which I love (as well as work experience prior to this job that built up my contacts). So it has certainly benefitted me.
    I don't have a problem with people not going to college or not doing the leaving cert, because it is their decision - not mine. People can do very well for themselves with a trade or going to work immediately after school, or doing a short course after school but not a degree/diploma.

But people who say education isn't worth sh-t etc seem to be projecting - very bitterly. It isn't "not worth sh-t" - it's highly beneficial; I am certainly better off having it than not.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    Education is a means to an end. I use it to better myself professionally, but it has absolutely no impact on me (or anyone else) as a person. We're all the same height lying down.
    In my opinion education is an end in itself, and it very much *can* shape a person.

The other 20%? :)
    Plus, people with higher education can still have dopey views, and people without the leaving cert can be highly intelligent and self educated.

Doesn't change education being a good thing though, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

A Master's and beyond is much more than bestowing information and knowledge upon individuals. It's about generating a well rounded person who has the necessary skill-set to quickly adapt to change and contribute to society in a positive manner without the need to rely upon someone else.

It enables the individual to critically analyse and reflect upon decisions and how we make them.

It doesn't make someone smart. It changes the way they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

Level 8. I think there should be a max 4 year degree with 1 year placement. Anything other than that is nonsense and a waste of time.

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    It does take all these. However, in my experience, the notion that PhD candidates are the smartest of the smart is frequently not true.

It's probably dependent on your field of study. It's notably true in most cases in my experience.
    Being passionate about your subject is more important, escpecially to get through the thing.

I can't imagine anyone staying the distance if they aren't passionate about their field of study, it's kind of a a prerequisite unless you have masochistic tendencies. :)

I've benefitted enormously in diverse tangible and intangible ways from study, and would not be able to pursue my chosen career without my PhD.

I've found that the more education a person has, the humbler they often are. It's a truism that the more a person learns the more they realise there is yet to learn. A curious mind is the most attractive quality a person can have, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Candie wrote: »
    It's probably dependent on your field of study. It's notably true in most cases in my experience.

Really? A lot of PhD candidates I've worked with and met are very unwhelming in the intellect department. I'd have mind-numbingly dull conversations at lunchtime with the bunch I used to work with. Most conversation revolved around celeb gossip, soaps and make-up and god help you if you try to steer the conversation to something even remotely thought-provoking.

I mean, lunchtime is relaxation time and stuff like the above is grand is moderation but this was all. the. frickin. time.

A lot of them would able to focus on their project but seemed to lack a greater intellectual curiosity or something. I think you need to be somewhat tunnel-visioned and very focussed to get through one, but that doesn't necessarily signify great intelligence.

Really? A lot of PhD candidates I've worked with and met are very unwhelming in the intellect department. I'd have mind-numbingly dull conversations at lunchtime with the bunch I used to work with. Most conversation revolved around celeb gossip, soaps and make-up and god help you if you try to steer the conversation to something even remotely thought-provoking.

I mean, lunchtime is relaxation time and stuff like the above is grand is moderation but this was all. the. frickin. time.

I work in a university, and I don't think I've ever had a conversation about soap operas or make up with colleagues.

I'd start looking for a new job if I were you. :)

I work in a university, and I don't think I've ever had a conversation about soap operas or make up with colleagues.

This was very commonplace where I worked (a large bioscience department) and was also seen in the housemates I had who were PhD candidates. I found these people incredibly dull to talk to.

From my own experience (anecdotal but not insignificant either), PhD candidates, very determined but no great shakes intellectually.

A lot of people just seem to fall into PhD study too. Some stick it out because they want to see it through, others leave.

Magaggie wrote: »
    The other 20%? :)
    Plus, people with higher education can still have dopey views, and people without the leaving cert can be highly intelligent and self educated.

Doesn't change education being a good thing though, in my opinion.

Did you infer from my post that education was anything other than a good thing? :confused:

• Advertisement

This was very commonplace where I worked (a large bioscience department) and was also seen in the housemates I had who were PhD candidates. I found these people incredibly dull to talk to.

From my own experience (anecdotal but not insignificant either), PhD candidates, very determined but no great shakes intellectually.

People are perfectly capable of being extremely knowledgeable and insightful in their professional areas, and of being interested in the mundane outside of work.

Often people who's daily work is very intellectually exacting don't want to get engaged in deep and meaningfuls when it's their down time.

My experience is different to yours, but my engagement isn't on a social level and it's probably more indicative of their professional knowledge and capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Define intelligence?

People are perfectly capable of being extremely knowledgeable and insightful in their professional areas, and of being interested in the mundane outside of work.

True, but the truly intelligent people I've met in my life are intellectually curious about so much. They could occasionally talk about mundane stuff but that would be laced with insight. I can't reconcile great intellect with having no interest in ever wanting to discuss anything intellectual outside your narrow field of work, or never having anything interesting to say.

True, but the truly intelligent people I've met in my life are intellectually curious about so much. They could occasionally talk about mundane stuff but that would be laced with insight. I can't reconcile great intellect with having no interest in ever wanting to discuss anything intellectual outside your narrow field of work, or never having anything interesting to say.

Well I think you're very unfortunate that all the PhDs you know are so dim. You'd really wonder how they managed to get through such rigorous programmes of study and research without curiosity or intellectual acuity.

Thankfully, my experience is the complete opposite.

Level 8 - which means I had to lookup the word "acuity" :D

Did you infer from my post that education was anything other than a good thing? :confused:
    No, meant that towards the "Education isn't worth sh-t" mindset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some people love to boast about how educated they are.

Some neck on them admitting to a college education in a thread asking about people's education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Define intelligence?

Cognitive ability, abstract reasoning, problem solving...or "g".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Define intelligence?

The only ones that appear to be demanding a definition of intelligence are people that seem to be uptight about the simple fact of other people having a college education.

anncoates wrote: »
    The only ones that appear to be demanding a definition of intelligence are people that seem to be uptight about the simple fact of other people having a college education.

I have a level ten education as I said. I think intelligence is the ability to find things out and come up with new ideas and solve problems. I don't think memorising facts is intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I also have a level 10, and having done the PhD, I'm certainly less in awe of people who have one.

The sooner companies realise that educational qualifications don't actually mean all that much, and that universities are just another business, the better, I reckon...

I have a level ten education as I said. I think intelligence is the ability to find things out and come up with new ideas and solve problems. I don't think memorising facts is intelligence.
    But generally you have to nurture that intelligence and a propensity for critical thinking, through education - whether that be self education or formal education.

Magaggie wrote: »
    But generally you have to nurture that intelligence and a propensity for critical thinking, through education - whether that be self education or formal education.

Yes I completely agree. I think that education, particularly 2nd level can work against that.

Well I think you're very unfortunate that all the PhDs you know are so dim. You'd really wonder how they managed to get through such rigorous programmes of study and research without curiosity or intellectual acuity.

Well now, I didn't call them dim, did I? ;) I'm simply disputing the status of PhD candidates as the brightest of all. Some are, some are very, very far from that.

Completing a degree is as much about knuckling down as anything else, ditto a PhD, though obviously you need some aptitude for the subject.

I don't think memorising facts is intelligence.

Memorising facts? No.

Understanding facts ie. proper learning? Yes.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I also have a level 10, and having done the PhD, I'm certainly less in awe of people who have one.

Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I have a level 8 degree, currently working on a level 9. I still mix up my left and my right......so I don't know if my degrees are a true reflection of my intelligence. :pac:

maguic24 wrote: »
    I have a level 8 degree, currently working on a level 9. I still mix up my left and my right......so I don't know if my degrees are a true reflection of my intelligence. :pac:

Same on both counts. :pac:

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well I find it pretty admirable of someone to make such a commitment for three or four years. I know I couldn't do it.
    The sooner companies realise that educational qualifications don't actually mean all that much, and that universities are just another business, the better, I reckon...
    Educational qualifications are a necessity for lots of jobs - not just because they are qualifications but because you couldn't do the job without them.

I understand people who didn't go to college downplaying education qualifications but I really can't understand people who got qualifications doing so. If they had to do it all again, would they not bother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

qualified light bulb screwer.

Advertisement