Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Engineers Looking for Work in BC

Options
  • 06-06-2014 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are still a bunch of new Irish engineers here looking for work, so I thought I'd start this thread to share some information and advice between us. Does anyone out there who has been successful finding good work have any advice on finding a job? If you found one, how did it happen and are there any tips you can share to prevent wasting time and effort?

Anyone who has done research knows the basics (make a canadian resume, network, avoid reliance on job sites etc), but are there any towns/cities that are booming for a certain indusry/area? Any advice on intervies, can you share your application-to-interview ratio? What was your overall experience? Easy, hard work or horrendously painful?

Personally, I moved to Canada about a year ago to travel around the continent and eventually start work as an engineer. I've done the travelling/having fun part, but now my degree in Structural/Civil is about to get old (nearly two years) and I'm starting to look for relevant work (with no work experience i might add).

I'm looking into Victoria as that's probably the best all-round city i've experienced here. Anyone know how engineering work is there? Any advice on getting work with no experience:confused:? Also, is it worthwhile/neccessary to get your EIT (Engineer in Training)? I'm working as a surveyor up on the oilfields in North BC, so if anyone wants to know about life up there, just ask.

Comments

Advertisement