Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Killarney 2014

Options
  • 06-06-2014 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I am considering doing the Half Marathon on the 19th July. I have read the reports from last year here on boards. I have just done the Cork City half and want to do more.
    Is this a good race to look at doing?
    The only thing that is putting me off is the 8.30 start and i dont want to stay in Killarney as i will be travelling from cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

I did this two years ago and drove down that morning from Cork, early start, I think it actually started at 8am that year, but back was in the car and on the road home again by 10am! However, last year I did it and was actually in Killarney for weekend, and as far as I know (open to correction), you had to collect your number the night before, making an early morning trip impossible.
    Have to say, the route is lovely, plenty downhill running, and could definitely do a fast time there, but I was not impressed with it as a race at all last year. Whole thing smacks of a commercial enterprise, between reeling people in to stay in Killarney night before for number collection and early start, and finishing in the Gleneagle hotel grounds. I just felt you didn't get a massive amount for your money.
    Last year was also possibly the hottest day of the year and they ran out of water. The finish also crosses a very busy road and I felt this was not managed very well.
    I'm not slating the race completely, though, it is a lovely course, and attracts a big crowd, well organised in terms of buses to start line, pacers for all time slots too. I just feel twice was more than enough to do it!
    Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

did it(the half) last year:
    Pro
    Smashing Course
    Well organised, buses on time, everything taken care of.
    nice post race buzz at the hotel and in the town
    killarney is a great place to stay for a weekend

Cons:
    Forced stay in Killarney due to number collection on the friday night(suited last year, not this year)
    did seem a bit commercial
    running out of water on hottest day of year, at the first and second water stops(surely will have this solved this year)
    that marathon course, the second half of it, seemed awful, running p narrow lanes at the side of car dealers.

would i do it again? yeah, probably, am considering it if a bunch of us are heading down to stay for a couple of nights, if not, then i won't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Thanks for the replys, I was looking at their website for the event and it seems that they will be posting out the race packs this year to people in the ROI. So that will solve that problem.

Irish based competitors will receive the following in the post the week before the race.

• Race Number
    • Timing Chip
    • Detailed route information

So looks like i will be signing up, If the wife and kids dont mind the early start and i suppose they could drop me off at molls gap if cutting it close as they want people to meet at 7.15 for the bus to the start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hmm that's interesting. makes driving down that morning a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bannerman1

The buddy offer finishes this day week. You could save another fiver each by sending the postal form instead of online registration. Treat yourself to a nice lunch after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm considering doing this as we're heading to kenmare for a few days on the 20th. Would be a handy stop off en route to get the long run done for the weekend.

Does anyone have any idea of previous results? Website links are poor. Will also need to arrange accommodation for Friday and Saturday if anyone has a recommendation?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

claralara wrote: »
    I'm considering doing this as we're heading to kenmare for a few days on the 20th. Would be a handy stop off en route to get the long run done for the weekend.

Does anyone have any idea of previous results? Website links are poor. Will also need to arrange accommodation for Friday and Saturday if anyone has a recommendation?

Cheers!

I'd fairly sure they were up on Running in Munster website... Shouldnt be too difficult to locate as it's been on the same time every year I think?

Any preference for accommodation? In town/ out of town? Any particular facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

claralara wrote: »

Cheers!

2013:
    http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/2013/07/results-of-run-killarney-marathonsat.html

2012:
    http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/2012/07/results-of-killarney-maxihalf-marathon.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JohnDozer wrote: »

Any preference for accommodation? In town/ out of town? Any particular facilities?

Not too fussy, basic would be good as we are doing the posh bit from the Sunday

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Not too fussy, basic would be good as we are doing the posh bit from the Sunday

The Randles Court Hotel is a good basic hotel, not very big, 3 star, 25 metre pool plus sauna i think. Less than 10 minutes walk from town centre. Won't break the bank either! Used to be available on the LIDL hotels website very cheap... If that's not available or you don't like it from the website I can recommend another...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oh cool. Thanks for that. I had checked at lunchtime yesterday on the work computer but everything is blocked including 'blogspots' which is the heading that website falls under. Thanks again.

Johndozer thanks for that hotel info - will check it out.

Just need to justify the entry cost now...

Just had a quick look there to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice! Randles Court seems to have higher prices than normal for that weekend, €140, room only. For €10 euro more (again no breakfast) you could stay at the Lakes hotel which is 4 star I think. It also had a tennis court which might appeal. Alternatively, the basic option is the riverside lodge for €99 but with this no breakfast and no leisure facilities! All three are in the same general area too, 10 minutes-ish from town.

I forgot how expensive killarney was this time of year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Just had a quick look there to make sure I wasn't giving bad advice! Randles Court seems to have higher prices than normal for that weekend, €140, room only. For €10 euro more (again no breakfast) you could stay at the Lakes hotel which is 4 star I think. It also had a tennis court which might appeal. Alternatively, the basic option is the riverside lodge for €99 but with this no breakfast and no leisure facilities! All three are in the same general area too, 10 minutes-ish from town.

I forgot how expensive killarney was this time of year!

I vote to kip in the car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I vote to kip in the car ;)

You're not in Tallaght now! That type of behaviour is frowned upon in the Kingdom.
    The Holiday Inn is near the finish/registration area. Lots of B&Bs around Woodlawn Road - walking distance.
    I'm predicting podium finish for sure for O. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Well now that that's over, what did everyone think of the run?

Found the full to be a very tactical course. The ups and downs of the last 6 miles were a real pain, and the converging with the 10Ks in the park had its good points (they bring you along and nice to have company) and bad points (trying to weave through them)

The jaunting cars in the park are verging on the side of dangerous if you're a runner in that size of a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I did the full as well and I don't mind admitting, it broke me. Let's just say I had no issues verging with the 10K runners!!! I did meet a bus loads of very bemused Spanish students as I struggled through the park though!

Beautiful scenery through the run. As I live and train in and around Wexford town I had no way of really preparing for the 6ish mile steady ascent to the half way point which made my hamstrings wanna explode. Everything after that got slower and more painful by the mile. I had to walk/run/drag/limp the last 6 miles but managed to run over the finish line. It was only my second marathon so I was proud to finish it, even though my time was pretty atrocious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I ran as a pacer in the half. Realy enjoyed the event. Found it very well organised and will certainly be back.
    Chavzey - I agree the Jaunting cars were however very dangerous and forced you off the path.
    Fair play on completing the full, some climb that ye had up to Molls Gap at halfway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Did the full and found the climb up to halfway ok. Thought it was more a gradual climb than anything severe (although used to hilly routes around where I train). Found the last few miles on the road incredibly slow going as my legs were shot. The weaving around people in the park didn't bother me either as I was going so slowly. Enjoyed it though and plenty water on the course.

Advertisement