Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone phones tapped

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No use for'em on me. I only make phonecalls to arrange meeting up with people. Sure there's GPS on the phone for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Jeepers they would have a fairly boring time listening to my conversations;

Me: "did you put the bin out?"
    Him: "no I'll do it now"
    Me: "I'm going to shave my legs now"
    Him: "ok I'll call back in four hours"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

They can't tap my carrier pigeon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I left Vodafone ten years ago and "lawful intercept" was common knowledge then. It was part of the licence conditions iirc.

The gizmo that did it was locked away in secure parts of the switch and only a handful of people were authorised to enter, even to carry out routine maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Quite a few EU countries won't allow you to buy a SIM or phone without providing a copy of your national ID card or passport either. Try getting a simple SIM card in Spain for example.

I think at times Europeans are very critical of the US without looking at their own setups too.

Too much data slurping is being done just because it's technically easily done with digital technology.

If someone suggested photocopying the post, there would be uproar but if it's electronic that's grand apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Is this line secure?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Calls can be monitored.
    SMS can be read.
    Internet connection can have the visited IP addresses traced.
    Locations can be determined (without GPS).

All this can & is done by all operators since day 1.

It just gets worse when governments stick their snouts in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Is this line secure?"

Not only secure but comes with a handy backup service in case you ever forget what you said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Always operate under this very simple concept

if they can do it, they will do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In before the "I have nothing to hide so I don't mind" knobheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

call me back on the pay phone down the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

El Weirdo wrote: »

except for their knobheads, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

at this stage is everybody who uses a mobile phone "known to the guards?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

This is News?...

There have been cases through the courts were is came out that the Guards were monitoring calls etc and tracking the location of various people 'known to the Guards' by their mobile phones.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Bring back eircell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jaykay12

Tow wrote: »
    This is News?...

There have been cases through the courts were is came out that the Guards were monitoring calls etc and tracking the location of various people 'known to the Guards' by their mobile phones.

"Various people known to the Guards" implies a warrant was sought, and granted, and they were then put under surveillance.

Hugely different to what's been revealed here, which is without warrant, completely in secret and likely open to a lot of abuse.

And yes, it is news - although we've suspected it, it's never been confirmed by a company involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In before the "Big Brother is just around the corner" knobheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's a sad day when even mobile phones are getting some action and I'll be in bed alone tonight spooning my pillow. Fml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't let yourselves be fooled that only Vodafone are doing this. If this is happening in Vodafone, then it's happening in every other carrier too. Don't be surprised to see this escalate over the next few weeks as more operators speak out about it and national parliaments start revealing information about hundreds of thousands of warrants and wiretaps on mobile phones.

Vodafone seem to be just putting their heads above the parapet in an attempt to twist the arms of the lawmakers by rounding public opinion against them.

I wonder what their end-goal is? Maybe they're just pissed off at the amount of resources this kind of activity consumes. Or maybe by being the first operator to out this before it became public, they can look like the good guys. The EU has already shown that it's not tolerant of spying and surveillance activities, so Vodafone might just be trying to surf the wave of public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Set up your own telecommunications network so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This thread has reminded me of the excellent TV series The Wire. Simpler times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This thread has reminded me of the excellent TV series The Wire. Simpler times :)

Funny, i just finished the first Season of it last night (for the first time), and it really didn't make me want to continue... Not as great as everyone makes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Bring back eircell.

And Esat Digifone too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

is there some reason why the state should nt be able to access the communications of people involved in criminal activities?
    drug dealers gangsters terrorists bankers etc ?
    i assume there would be no one bothering with the ordinary joe soaps phone

Next somebody will be telling me that boards.ie PMs are monitored :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

is there some reason why the state should nt be able to access the communications of people involved in criminal activities?
    drug dealers gangsters terrorists bankers etc ?
    i assume there would be no one bothering with the ordinary joe soaps phone

If the state suspects people of crime, they should get a warrant.

This is about a free for all access tapping phones.
    As we've seen, letting the cops away with no oversight, hasn't been great with Donegal,
    Kerry babies,
    Whistleblower
    Smithwick tribunal etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

and if they have a warrant thats ok by you is it ?

If the state suspects people of crime, they should get a warrant.

From memory, although the ability to listen to calls is there and in place, it's use does require a warrant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm on Vodafone and as in a lot of my family.

What does this mean for me? People are listening to my phone calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

It means The Man knows all about your sordid little plan to meet your friends at the pub at half eight. AND they have detailed notes on your past shopping sprees at Aldi and Lidl.

Hard luck.

KungPao wrote: »
    It means The Man knows all about your sordid little plan to meet your friends at the pub at half eight. AND they have detailed notes on your past shopping sprees at Aldi and Lidl.

Hard luck.

Boo! Wish my drinking plans and shopping lists stayed my own!

Ugh creeping on my conversations! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Tow wrote: »
    This is News?...

difference is now they're listening to and filtering every single communication before the company gets the traffic, they filter everything including the boring stuff and algorithms work away silently piecing together all manner of info on human behaviour so just cos you have nothing to hide doesn't mean your mundane conversations/texts/emails etc aren't valuable in some shape or fashion. welcome to 1984 ;)

From memory, although the ability to listen to calls is there and in place, it's use does require a warrant.

you need to do some research because there's lots of factual evidence out there to show that state agencies have used info got from private communications and passed onto relevant authorities and they've gone along and setup scenarios to nab people from the illegally obtained info and made it look like they just did excellent detective work and nabbed a baddy. how people aren't worried about where this is all leading and where it may end is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I didnt read any of the posts but I'm positive 70% of them are made by people who dont understand the consequence of privacy not existing.

Thats a serious problem. You'd expect the general public to be better informed on such a basic right.

Vodafone themselves coming out with the specifics is a fantastic step. Would seriously consider changing over to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Fair play to Vodafone for highlighting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have.
    Funny, i just finished the first Season of it last night (for the first time), and it really didn't make me want to continue... Not as great as everyone makes out!
    Get out.

Not necessarily. It means governments and contracted agencies are able to without any judicial process, for whatever reason, and you would never know.

You should look up "metadata", because that's certainly already been collected of you and your family.

nm wrote: »

one man by the name of Edward Snowden has been highlighting this and more for the last 366 days and where's his praise? people would be telling screaming about tinfoil hats not so long ago if someone tried to raise these issues, in fact are still trying to say its all a fcuking conspiracy. the world is in for an awful shock when they realise they should stopped big brother before they got too big cos its quite possible its far too late at this stage!! :(

19543261 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It means governments and contracted agencies are able to without any judicial process, for whatever reason, and you would never know.

You should look up "metadata", because that's certainly already been collected of you and your family.

if it helps government keep control or it suits big business/banking/pharma to learn more about how to sell their products to the masses well then you can bet your life they're listening to every single communication ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Thread title should really be changed as it implies it's specific to Vodafone. As has been previously pointed out, 'lawful intercept' is mandatory for all carriers to implement in some countries. Vodafone just happen to be the ones that have made it public knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Covert wiretaps. It's like our own version of the wire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

nm wrote: »

There are two ways to get ahead in life. Be smart or be first. Vodafone knew this was all going to come out soon and decided the best form of PR defence would be to confront it.

All other carriers will follow suit.

For those that day they have nothing to hide, well things like this will be abused. Perhaps they'd feel differently if the technology was used to steal an idea or their intellectual property.

So Vodafone refused to give out Irish customer information?

Isn't that a good thing?

I'm not sure what's going on :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Is this line secure?"

"Code in"

So Vodafone refused to give out Irish customer information?

Isn't that a good thing?

I'm not sure what's going on :L

no Vodafone were refused permission to give out any hint of specific info on the Irish spying ;)

you need to do some research because there's lots of factual evidence out there to show that state agencies have used info got from private communications and passed onto relevant authorities and they've gone along and setup scenarios to nab people from the illegally obtained info and made it look like they just did excellent detective work and nabbed a baddy. how people aren't worried about where this is all leading and where it may end is beyond me.

Sorry, I just read that they used this info to nab a baddy.

Did you say something else?

All other carriers will follow suit.

Exactly this. It's very exciting :)

Sorry, I just read that they used this info to nab a baddy.

Did you say something else?

It seems this topic is a little too complex for you. Fortuantely After Hours caters to all intellect; you might find such topics as The worst kid's name you've ever heard?, Experiences with saps on holidays, and Words that you hate/dislike more to your enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The permissions that are asked for when downloading an app always strike me. Some literally seem to ask for complete access to everything, call info, sms, wifi data ect. I don't know what in reality I'm being asked for and I suspect most don't but the more things its requesting from me the less likely I am to agree to download it.

The NSA tapped up Merkel and a few others didn't they. They have no qualms listening/checking in on anyone. Weird times indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I can't wait for the talk to > knobheads forum....

• Advertisement
Advertisement