Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experiences with saps on holidays

• 06-06-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I was on holidays in Florida last year and had the displeasure to be stuck on a flight and in a hotel with with a large group from Northern Ireland.

On the flight over they thought nothing of it to let their children to play chasing up the aisles of the plane while they got blitzed drunk and very loud, at one point they started opening bottles they had bought in the duty free because the stewardess had refused to give them anymore alcohol. The captain had to announce over the the PA that doing so was a criminal offense and passengers had to be responsible for their children.

On arrival they thought nothing of it to barge to the top of the hotel shuttle que, once on the bus the same carry on that went on on the plane restarted, kids running up the centre aisle of the bus and more drinking.

When we reached the hotel they very drunk and generally obnoxious, my wife went inside the reception with the kids as I got the bags from under the bus. They sent one of their party in then with the same idea. There was nobody at the reception to which the very nice lady started banging the service bell and shouting hello, she very rude and short with the receptionist when she came out of the back, they eventually got their keys and fücked off to their rooms. We got our keys and headed up stairs.

When we got up, the northern lads were in a tower facing ours and out on their balconies, they had 3 rooms. They were having a conversation between the balconies which all 3 had been draped with Union Jack flags. I ignored them and we got ourselves settled in.

About an hour later I went to the Pizza Hut in the hotel to get a takeaway, the group of northies were in the reception of the hotel getting a bollocking off the sheriff.

We didn't spend an awful lot of time in the hotel after that, we were too busy in the theme parks and what not so we didn't have much more interactions with them afterwards, except for the few minutes in the evenings when we headed back to the hotel to get changed to head out for dinner, they were always at the pool drinking while letting their kids run wild until the pool was closed at about 10pm.

Share your stories of getting stuck in, near or around dickheads while on holiday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TheGlass

Yeah anyone that feels the need to bring flags with them on holiday should generally be avoided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Had a lovely massage in a place in Turin a few years back.

Oh wait..... saps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Nothing ruins a holiday quicker than discovering a shower of Nordies have arrived in the place. Drink, that accent, and a massive chip on their collective shoulders invariably leads to a lowering of the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

TheGlass wrote: »
    Yeah anyone that feels the need to bring flags with them on holiday should generally be avoided

While I agree when it comes to sectarian use of flags, I think in general ita quite nice and most people Ive met who carried flags used it as a way of meeting people other than their countrymen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We have booked villas in Florida the last couple of times so that we have our own space and don't have to put up with any sh1te & noise from other hotel guests but being arseholes isn't confined to being from the north either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

TheGlass wrote: »

When I was a kid we used to go to a complex in Spain. The complex had two towers and one was for northies and the other for free staters.They were purposefully segregated because of the amount of Irish there. There were Union Jacks and Red Hand flags hanging off one and tricolours off the others.

Meanwhile the Germans had theirs all over the sunbeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

We have booked villas in Florida the last couple of times so that we have our own space and don't have to put up with any sh1te & noise from other hotel guests but being arseholes isn't confined to being from the north either

I have been a few times always stayed in hotels never had any bother before or since, I don't see the point in paying for a villa or house when all i'm really going to be doing is sleeping there and could spend the extra money elsewhere.

I kinda had to mention the fact they were from the north, otherwise posting about FLEGS would have been silly, also all the tshirts they seemed to own were rangers or England football shirts, classy bunch indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

discus wrote: »
    While I agree when it comes to sectarian use of flags, I think in general ita quite nice and most people Ive met who carried flags used it as a way of meeting people other than their countrymen!

In fairness it's most effective ensuring only your country men talk to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aisle seat of a LHR-DUB flight (BMI, before BA took their slots) with obese Americans in the middle and window seats. Demanding arseholes, spilling into my space constantly, picking arguments with the cabin crew when asked to pay for drinks and food, looking absolutely disgusted when asked to move their pile of crap from my seat (they boarded first) - I was quite glad the flight was only an hour long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Riamfada wrote: »
    When I was a kid we used to go to a complex in Spain. The complex had two towers and one was for northies and the other for free staters.They were purposefully segregated because of the amount of Irish there. There were Union Jacks and Red Hand flags hanging off one and tricolours off the others.

It sounds feckin lovely - did you give us the link so we can book up?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When I was a kid we used to go to a complex in Spain.

Sounds as appealing as being stuck in a POW camp. How people think 2 weeks in a concrete bunker on the Costa Del Scummer with faux Irish/British pubs is a dream holiday is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I read this and the first thought that stuck me was BLOCK WAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Santa ponsa in majorca. i love spain, but this place is HORRIBLE. it's horrible because it's full of pasty culchies from ireland. The english/german orientated resorts happen to be much nicer and better vibes, better people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Flew to Palma last year with Ryanair.saw a group of lads in the bar beforehand and hoped to God they weren't on our flight, but they were.

No problems though, they all fell asleep within ten minutes of boarding.

The group of five mothers, with their kids though were a different story. Loud, drunk, ignoring their kids who were running amok to the point the captain put the seat belt light on.

They argued non stop with the cabin crew because they wanted to drink their duty free and basically made the flight a ****ing nightmare.

One of these gaaargeuos orange coloured woman was questioned by police when we landed, but not detained so we had the pleasure of watching her staggering in to arrivals singing Santa Claus is coming to town and trying to kiss an elderly Spanish guy. **** knows where her kids were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A package holiday would be my worst nightmare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I always thought that too until last year. We decided to go really tacky and head to a bunker in Turkey for a few pennies and ended up having a great holiday. Fair enough I generally avoided the resort like the plague, but once outside it was excellent, got to see some places id never see due to it not being a weekend type destination.

I probably won't do it again, but it was nice for a change being able to explore and have the choice of lazing on the beach or beside a pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sounds as appealing as being stuck in a POW camp. How people think 2 weeks in a concrete bunker on the Costa Del Scummer with faux Irish/British pubs is a dream holiday is beyond me.

This was before we had money back in the last time we had no money. Im talking 1992/1993 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nothing ruins a holiday quicker than discovering a shower of Nordies have arrived in the place. Drink, that accent, and a massive chip on their collective shoulders invariably leads to a lowering of the tone.

Gotta agree, they all seem to have some sort of problem with volume control, either it's genetically broken, their all deaf in the North or they feel some inexplicable need to shout everything for some reason. It's really irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Not all package holidays are bad.
    I went on a thomas cook one a few years ago to Crete, you can specify a couples only place.
    We got a lovely resort that didn't have loads of kids running around or groups of drunks.

Worst I ever saw in a place was a spanish weirdo by a pool in Feurteventura.
    The guy would sit there with a towel across his lap and w*nk looking at the girls around the place.

I reported him at reception, but later that day realised his room was opposite ours, and it overlooked the pool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That sounds like my idea of a living hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I went on one I think. Crete. They were drunk at check-in at the airport (for a 6.30am flight). Then the wans from Clonadalkin started a shouting match with the wans from Ballyfermot (they were actually from these places, I am not generalising) on the plane. Whilst ordering drink until the stewardesses stopped serving them because they were so rowdy. Throwing things up and down the plane, barging over people etc. Kids crying because of the noise, old men being heckled for asking them to keep it down. It was what I imagine prison is like - stuck with savages with no way off. It's alright though, because 'they were just having the craic'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Package holidays are not my thing at all but was forced to go down to the Costa del Sol with the outlaws a few year ago. Most obvious thing I noticed about the unwashed hordes was the English lads wear England jerseys so show how English they are, while the Irish lads wear English club jerseys to show how Irish they are. Saps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Flight from CPT to LHR, two obese individuals travelling together booked the aisle and window seats, I got stuck with the middle seat, spillover from both sides and them yelling conversations at each other in Afrikaans for 10 hours plus. Flight completely booked out I was given a crew seat for a few hours but there wasn't a free seat anywhere on the aircraft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Indeed.
    Many cünts should have been Aborted at Birth and their Liver gone to somebody else.
    Pure scumbags. And, their children will turn out to be the same kind of animal too.
    Durty Bloody Bowzies ... and inbred tramps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

pundy wrote: »
    Santa ponsa in majorca. i love spain, but this place is HORRIBLE. it's horrible because it's full of pasty culchies from ireland. The english/german orientated resorts happen to be much nicer and better vibes, better people.

Cmon,don't be so hard on yourself.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Cmon,don't be so hard on yourself.

im not a culchie, and im only half irish. im far from pasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Indeed.
    Many cünts should have been Aborted at Birth and their Liver gone to somebody else.
    Pure scumbags. And, their children will turn out to be the same kind of animal too.
    Durty Bloody Bowzies ... and inbred tramps.

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

In 2000, on a leg from Singapore to Sydney, about 20 Kuwaitis got on (approx 10 kids, 7 blokes and 3 women). When I saw the Qantas air hostesses (who must be fairly seasoned at dealing with asshole passengers) roll their eyes when they came through the air bridge, I got a bad feeling and boy, I wasn't disappointed. Apart from take-off and landing, the kids were running riot for pretty much the whole flight (all 9 hours of it (felt like 19)). Running up and down the aisles, bouncing on the seats, screaming and shouting. It was before I had kids myself, so I was utterly intolerant of them. (I may have mellowed somewhat regarding kids in general :)). The adults (presumably some of the kids' parents were among them) made exactly zero attempt to remonstrate with them, or to restrain/curtail their behaviour. I think they were actually proud of the shennanigans they got up to. I only know they were Kuwaiti as I overheard one of the stewardesses say something like "faakin Kuwaitis" to a colleague as I passed them on the way to the bog. Wherever they were from, they were a spoiled bunch of brats. They'd be all in their 20s now, I wonder if they're any better behaved.

• Advertisement

You are clearly a member of the master race.Us pale Paddys must do you homage.Heil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

greenflash wrote: »
    Package holidays are not my thing at all but was forced to go down to the Costa del Sol with the outlaws a few year ago. Most obvious thing I noticed about the unwashed hordes was the English lads wear England jerseys so show how English they are, while the Irish lads wear English club jerseys to show how Irish they are. Saps

What's sappy about wearing a football jersey on holidays. I've only an Irish one but only time I wear it is when at a match or on the beach. No different from a T-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Went to Spain last year and there was a scummy family from Tallaght in the resort, typical drunk smoke damaged parents and their rat faced little brats. Wouldn't mind but I went to get away from idiot dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Collie D wrote: »
    What's sappy about wearing a football jersey on holidays. I've only an Irish one but only time I wear it is when at a match or on the beach. No different from a T-shirt.

If you read between the lines you'll see that I clearly wrote "when you see someone on or near a beach in Southern Europe, wearing a Manchester United or Liverpool shirt, they are invariably Irish". They also usually pack a Celtic jersey for a spare and and Ireland one if they're going out somewhere nice for the evening.

Anyway, in my opinion, anyone over the age of 12 who wears a football top in any situation other than playing football is a sap, whether on holiday or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Flight from Boston to Amsterdam a couple of years ago. Was stuck in between a christian group who all insisted on holding hands to pray, included in this was a prayer for the captain and crew, the passengers, the employees that worked at the airports, the food preparers, the other passengers, each other for the experience, Jesus for bringing them to a new place etc. I tried to switch seats but as it was a full flight no one wanted the middle seat on a 747. Was really pissed off with them when the plane took off, by the time it landed I couldn't even hide my contempt. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Personally, I'm deloyrah that the tattooed, boozie, shouty, flag-waving Nordie morons go on holidays overseas. Almost every year, while they're gone, we set off for the Wee North for a week or two. The Northerners remaining at home (that is the Northerners who don't travel miles to be offended by an Orange or Green march) are the most welcoming, charming and generous people you could meet. The weather can't be depended upon but the welcome can.

We're also blessed for a few weeks when we arrive home because the tattooed, boozie, shouty, GAA shirt-waving "Free State" morons are overseas on holidays.

Ahhhhh! Ireland in Summer! Shur, where would you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If you read between the lines you'll see that I clearly wrote "if you see someone on or near a beach in Southern Europe, wearing a Manchester United or Liverpool shirt, they are invariably Irish". They also usually pack a Celtic jersey for a spare and and Ireland one if they're going out somewhere nice for the evening.

Anyway, in my opinion, anyone over the age of 12 who wears a football top in any situation other than playing football is a sap, whether on holiday or not.

How can you clearly write something between the lines?

Meh, your opinion and you're entitled. Snobbery IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A skobe family plonked themselves next to me on a flight back from Krakow last year. I'd noticed them in the departure area and knew they were going to be a pain. And I also knew that, with my luck they'd end up next to me...

They'd bought loads of cans at the gate so they could get even more drunk during the flight. I'd say I got passively drunk from the stink off them - and I like beer! (And then the 15 year old daughter passed out on top of her equally drunk mother who was next to me, and when the plane was making the final approach into Cork, the cabin crew had an awful job waking the pair of them up to put their seat belts back on...)

Gobshytes.

I was also on a package holiday in Golden Sands Bulgaria about 10 years ago, one of those bunker hotels had a load of Swedish flags draped on it, and all these young Swedish lads were sniping tourists with cheap air rifles they'd bought in the resort. One of my friends got a pellet in the hand, lucky it wasn't an eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was on a late Dub to LHR flight a few years back, the 10pm BMI flight that was never more than half full.

There were three traveller ladies returning to London after a big funeral, all three as you'd expect were mire than a bit merry, but otherwise perfectly pleasant.

As the flight was delayed after boarding, the cabin crew brought the drinks trolley out, which was when the hilarity began.

The two youngest, who were I'm guessing sisters in their early forties starti g having an argument about who was going to drive when they got back to London

"you can bleedin drive, it's your car"
    "i can't, I'm too pissed"
    "so am I"
    "yeah, but I've got a driving licence, if I get stopped I'll lose it"
    "fair point, but I'm not driving, ma can drive"

Looks over the far side of plane where "ma" is slumped in a corner snoring her head off with Guinness froth coming out of her nose.

"Aah Feck it ma, I'll bleedin drive then"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

*claps when plane lands* That was a good landing, wasn't it??

darkdubh wrote: »
    You are clearly a member of the master race.Us pale Paddys must do you homage.Heil!

thats more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'd actually consider this a very racist remark. :(

Cork Lass wrote: »

Just don't try irony on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    *claps when plane lands* That was a good landing, wasn't it??
    Technically speaking that was an "excellent" landing, being one after which the equipment may be re-used. Any landing you walk away from is a "good" landing.

Probably. He'd also enjoy the South of Spain, which is full of pasty-faced shaven-headed ex-special forces Russians who always give the impression when looking at you that they're wondering what you might look like without your head. :pac:

While I'm here, I don't bother my hole with the whole aeroplane rigmarole anymore. These days when I pop down to Antibes for a week or two, I drive. Two wheels, or four, depending on the humour. :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I'm guessing your mixed race or non white.Have you experienced racism?Is that why you don't like "pasty" Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Thought this thread was about people using SAP on holidays.... disappointed :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If you read between the lines you'll see that I clearly wrote "when you see someone on or near a beach in Southern Europe, wearing a Manchester United or Liverpool shirt, they are invariably Irish". They also usually pack a Celtic jersey for a spare and and Ireland one if they're going out somewhere nice for the evening.

Get out of here ya clown! Does this go for all Sports Tops or just football jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Flight from Boston to Amsterdam a couple of years ago. Was stuck in between a christian group who all insisted on holding hands to pray, included in this was a prayer for the captain and crew, the passengers, the employees that worked at the airports, the food preparers, the other passengers, each other for the experience, Jesus for bringing them to a new place etc. I tried to switch seats but as it was a full flight no one wanted the middle seat on a 747. Was really pissed off with them when the plane took off, by the time it landed I couldn't even hide my contempt. Painful.

Did they say a prayer for you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

bear1 wrote: »
    Thought this thread was about people using SAP on holidays.... disappointed :(

Nothing like a bit of ERP on the beach. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of ERP on the beach. :)

Just don't let those Oracle bastards come near ya.. feckin nightmare so they are!

oh here we go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement