Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminated tenancy due to Landlord selling - Property now up for rent

Options
  • 06-06-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for a bit of info here - we had a fixed term tenancy on an apartment, the LL informed us that the property would be up for sale in negotiation with the bank, and they required vacant possession before putting it up on the market.

We agreed a 1 month extension past the end of our fixed term tenancy, and found somewhere else and moved out. We have in writing a notice of termination stating that the reason for termination is due to plans to sell. Now, less than three days after handing back the keys, I find the property up for let on Daft at increased rent (about 500 euro a month over what we were paying).

Has the landlord broken the original grounds for termination here? To be honest, i'm furious as the amount of time and effort and stress that we went through as a result of trying to find somewhere suitable was ridiculous, whereas if this was their intention we could have discussed an increased rent reasonably between both parties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Would it be possible that the increased rent advertised could make the property more valueable.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Basically in these circumstances if the property becomes available for re-letting then the previous tenant must be given first refusal to resume the tenancy so yes the landlord is in breach here. I do not have time to check but I am fairly certain this would be at the previous rental amount not the enhanced amount.

Please note though that our recent experience has shown that if there is a bank involved then some rules seem to go out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Looks like an illegal eviction to me. Contact the PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

So we can assume that you were pay approx €500 less than the market rate.

Out of curiosity if the LL made an approach to increase the rent by €500pm at the end of the fixed term would you have agreed to it?

I'd imagine the tenancy would have been ended either way. Maybe, he had a sale lined up and it fell through during your notice period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Crash wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for a bit of info here - we had a fixed term tenancy on an apartment, the LL informed us that the property would be up for sale in negotiation with the bank, and they required vacant possession before putting it up on the market.

We agreed a 1 month extension past the end of our fixed term tenancy, and found somewhere else and moved out. We have in writing a notice of termination stating that the reason for termination is due to plans to sell. Now, less than three days after handing back the keys, I find the property up for let on Daft at increased rent (about 500 euro a month over what we were paying).

Has the landlord broken the original grounds for termination here? To be honest, i'm furious as the amount of time and effort and stress that we went through as a result of trying to find somewhere suitable was ridiculous, whereas if this was their intention we could have discussed an increased rent reasonably between both parties.

afaik if this happens, tenant is entitled to recover possession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

drumswan wrote: »
    Looks like an illegal eviction to me. Contact the PRTB

Wouldn't call it eviction since it was a fixed term tenancy.

Still a bit dodgy a current tenant wasn't offered another contract.
    Quick call to PRTB should answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

The landlord used a notice of sale to force the tenant to move out. He then placed the property for rent again. This is illegal and not the first I've heard of such moves in the last few months. The same thing happened to a work colleague of mine.

Seems landlords that see higher rents available and that cannot force a rent review as one has already happened in the last few months, are using this tactic to "evict" sitting tenants and get new ones in at a higher rent rate.

OP, I would report the landlord to the PRTB immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

whippet wrote: »
    So we can assume that you were pay approx €500 less than the market rate.

Out of curiosity if the LL made an approach to increase the rent by €500pm at the end of the fixed term would you have agreed to it?

I'd imagine the tenancy would have been ended either way. Maybe, he had a sale lined up and it fell through during your notice period?
    Not really - possibly (judging by where we're renting now) 200-250 under market rate, which we'd have discussed and considered. 500 is overpriced and, having followed which properties rented at what prices around there (and what we discussed with landlords of other similar properties), will probably go for around 10-15% less than that. We'd have considered continuing the lease, considering the pain we had finding a reasonably good quality place anywhere nearby.

Property had not been listed as of our moving out date, so unlikely a sale was planned and subsequently fell through. As it stands it looks very much to me like either 1) Landlord change of mind in the last month or 2) sly and pointless method of getting rid of us as sitting tenants. Which I don't fully understand as we had been nothing but accommodating towards the landlord, and the apartment is in picture perfect condition after two years letting it.

Anyhow, sent in a query to the PRTB to clarify. Thanks for the advice and comments folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

What is the level of effort or proof that would be required by a landlord to legitimately allow for vacancy for the sale of a property?

E.g.
    1) Attempted sale that fell through or did not get offers.
    2) Started sale process (engage solicitor/auctioneer) but changed their mind.
    3) Thought about it but changed their mind.

From what OP said however this case sounds like a sly way of getting rid of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Put yourself in the landlord's shoes if you can. I'd say that the landlord was under pressure from the bank on repayments and that you were paying under the odds in rent. By getting rid of you and putting a tenant in who is paying the going rate makes the property more valuable and more attractive to a potential purchasers, but also perhaps if he gets a tenant paying the going rate he will be able to do a deal with the bank on his loan and hold on to the property that he invested his money in, probably at Celtic Tiger prices.
    We are all entitled to do the best we can for ourselves, and when times are tough charity begins at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Paulownia wrote: »
    We are all entitled to do the best we can for ourselves, and when times are tough charity begins at home.

Only if its legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

Put yourself in the landlord's shoes if you can. I'd say that the landlord was under pressure from the bank on repayments and that you were paying under the odds in rent. By getting rid of you and putting a tenant in who is paying the going rate makes the property more valuable and more attractive to a potential purchasers, but also perhaps if he gets a tenant paying the going rate he will be able to do a deal with the bank on his loan and hold on to the property that he invested his money in, probably at Celtic Tiger prices.

The landlord entered into a legally binding contract with the tenant and used a brake clause fraudulently.

This is why renting in Ireland is so bemoaned, due to the fact that tenants have to deal with amateurs and "cute hoors" who do not take their responsibilities seriously. This gives all landlords a bad name, despite the fact that there are many excellent ones.

If the landlord has a problem with the bank, he needs to deal with the bank. It is none of the tenants responsibility. When he bought the property and for how much is irrelevant and does not change the legal position.

We do not know he was breaking the law at all. It is suggested he was by the ex tenant.
    For all we know the landlord is up to his hocks in negative equity, the government is throwing all sorts of charges and obligations at landlords at the moment, the most recent being property tax. As we all know the law leans towards the tenant in Irish law. Property rental is a nightmare for landlords here with a high incidence of non payment of rent, damage to property etc, I wouldn't be a landlord to save my life in Ireland. I was merely suggesting that the ex tenant might consider the facts, why you think that is less justified than your statement that the landlords position was not the tenants responsability I'm not sure.

Having read the whole thing again, the tenant states that he was at the end of his fixed term tenancy so either party was entitled to call a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Just to clarify - we extended as a part 4 tenancy for another month and then left. Equally, my understanding is that part 4 rules on termination of tenancy still exist upon finishing a fixed term contract. Judging from here: http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/terminating-a-fixed-term-tenancy :
    FIXED TERM TENANCIES AND PART 4
    The existence of a fixed term tenancy does not preclude the operation of Part 4. Part 4 runs with a fixed term tenancy, so that the continuous occupation by a tenant under a fixed term tenancy for a period of 6 months, means the tenant shall, as in normal course, become entitled to the protections of a Part 4 tenancy. In cases of fixed term tenancies however, the rights under Part 4 only apply to the extent that they benefit the tenant over and above the rights afforded to him or her under the terms of the fixed term tenancy.

Now, i'm not here to argue the rights or wrongs of that from a landlords point of view, but I am interested from a legal point of view.

Equally Paulownia, I have not suggested anything, simply laid out the situation as is. As much as, in your words, have a responsibility to put myself in the shoes of the landlord, such duty of care is two way, and the landlord must consider my personal well being and other issues I may be suffering from.

Or else we can dispense with that crap and simply deal with discussing what is described in law for situations such as this.

Having read the whole thing again, the tenant states that he was at the end of his fixed term tenancy so either party was entitled to call a halt.

Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just because the house it up for rent on DAFT does not actually prove that it will be rented out again.

The LL could be testing the market, as part of gathering information for the sale process.

OP, I'm sure you're furious - but realistically, what do you hope to achieve from this? Monetary compensation? (If there a law which provides for that? Honor and glory of socking it to the LL (great .. if that's what you really want)?

While the LL's actions may be illegal, the amount it might cost you to prove that, at the standard of proof required, could be high.

Personally, I'd be inclined to just let it go, secure in the knowledge that karma is a bitch.

Personally, I'd be inclined to just let it go, secure in the knowledge that karma is a bitch.
    I dont think so. If the landlord broke the law and caused huge disruption in the OPs life as a result, he should be looking to go legal, beit via the PRTB or another route. Illegal evictions carry 5 figure compensation figures last time I checked.

That said, I would suggest that the OP might need to wait until the landlord actually rents the place first, a daft ad doesnt really mean much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

What we need is the ability for a landlord to be forced to rent his property and relinquish all rights to ownership in order to protect the needy and vulnerable, for example, grown adults renting apartments who need the state´s protection.

It doesn´t matter that a landlord can choose to sell the property, give proper notice , 28 days for example, and then change his mind during that month. Changing your mind must be made illegal. Somehow, someone owes somebody compensation.

How soon after the notice period was it listed for rent? Thinking about selling for a few weeks, lets say mid February. After a few weeks you decide to do it, give notice from start of march for the required month to end the tenancy at the end of April. Then, the tenants move out, you have already had second thoughts. It´s now start of may or mid May and you put it back up for rent.

If the OP wasn´t uniquely positioned to consider only his own perspective, what has happened is completely reasonable, because you could go from selling to not selling in two months. I think that is reasonable.

Or else in magic land, where landlords are evil ne'er do-wells , the tenant should be allowed prevent a landlord from considering his own property. It is only fair and just. Paranoia must prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

less than three days after handing back the keys, I find the property up for let on Daft at increased rent
    Grab a screenshot of the ad, get your paperwork together and contact the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Put yourself in the landlord's shoes if you can..

Put yourself in the tenants shoes if you can. He was illegally kicked out of his home. Everything else pales in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Thomas D wrote: »
    Put yourself in the tenants shoes if you can. He was illegally kicked out of his home. Everything else pales in comparison.

What's illegal? Grounds for termination of the tenancy is completely legal.

Landlord is also completely free to change his mind what, a month or 2 later.

Are we now punishing changes of mind and thought is a crime now eh?

Do you want a pint? Yes? But a few minutes later you decide, no, you don't. That is now illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

dissed doc wrote: »
    Do you want a pint? Yes? But a few minutes later you decide, no, you don't. That is now illegal?

I'm embarrassed for you.

I sometimes wonder how people would behave if their positions were reversed. If all tenants were landlords and all landlords were tenants, would it be a perfect world.
    Unfortunately landlords have to buy the property, pay the taxes and repairs on the property, pay tax on the income from the property AND it can't be easy judging by all the repossessions at the moment.
    On the other hand the tenant who rents the property from the owner somehow l sees the property as theirs for as long as they choose to stay there.
    It is a tough one for everyone but who would be a landlord?
    It seems logical to me having read this thread why so many properties remain empty and are not let by their owners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If the landlord wanted to up the rent all he had to do was a rent review at the end of the fixed term contract. An increase to market rates would be seen as a perfectly reasonable adjustment. I am not sure why the LL would remove sitting tenants to increase the rent as there is no need unless there are other issues here which we are not aware of.

Sure LLs are under pressure at the moment but so are alot of people, it doesn't mean we can ignore the laws of the land.

But OP to answer your question the LL cannot termnate your contract for an illegal reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

We don't know that it was an illegal reason. Maybe the LL had a sale fall through, or change his mind. It happens.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Windy Arbour

Sounds like you have been fraudulently evicted. Contact the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

dissed doc wrote: »
    What's illegal? Grounds for termination of the tenancy is completely legal.

Landlord is also completely free to change his mind what, a month or 2 later.

Are we now punishing changes of mind and thought is a crime now eh?

If the landlord genuinely did intend to sell the property within the next three months, then they will have no problem proving that by displaying their communications with valuers/estate agents about the sale. A PRTB hearing will hear evidence from both sides and sort it all out.

We don't know that it was an illegal reason. Maybe the LL had a sale fall through, or change his mind. It happens.
    Lads he isn't selling a second hand phone on adverts. This is someone's home we are talking about.

The landlord will have no bother proving that he genuinely attempted to sell the house in the three days between the eviction and listing it for rent I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

How do you know that the owner wasn't trying to sell it before the eviction? We don't know enough either way. The OP will have to take a case to the PTRB, and maybe the LL is not able to prove anything. Or maybe he is. Then you are in a debate about what is a reasonable amount of time to change your mind. We do not know that it is as cut and dried as the OP makes out. Meanwhile the OP is living somewhere else, so the case would be taken purely to punish the LL, and the OP risks it not being found in their favour.

Advertisement