Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relocating to south county

Options
  • 06-06-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭

hi, it is likely I will be relocating family to south county dublin over the next year.

I'm coming home from abroad and have no real time or access to check places out too well. While I know the north side and county well enough to know which places to avoid, or which are good, I don't have the same knowledge of the south side.

Could anyone recommend an area that is calm, reasonably quiet, is not too expensive or a concrete jungle etc.

Doesn't have to be perfect, just some ideas to work on.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Your request is too vague, and the answers consequently would not be a lot of use. Can you narrow it down to a general area? What about schools, shops etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where will you be workin? Have you a family? What are your interests e.g shopping, sports.

What kind of budget? Public transport or car?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As already said, way too vague a question.....

Your best bet is to put in a search on www.myhome.ie for places that match your requirements in terms of bedrooms and within your budget. This is how you do it.....

First, on the homepage, look at the blue bar on the 'For Sale' banner and click on 'Advanced Search'. On the next screen, click the arrow on the 'Choose a city/county' and in the dropdown list, scroll down below the numbered Dublin postal districts and select 'South County Dublin', leave the second field 'Choose a locality' set to 'Any Location', then set your budget limits, min and max bedrooms and then click 'Search'. You can refine the search to narrow it down to either a set of locations or a more restrictive budget.

If you see a place you like, go to maps.google.com and do a reccie of the area using Streetview looking for burnt out cars, boarded up shops and other signs of decay and/or lawlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

coylemj wrote: »
    As already said, way too vague a question.....

Your best bet is to put in a search on www.myhome.ie for places that match your requirements in terms of bedrooms and within your budget. This is how you do it.....

First, on the homepage, look at the blue bar on the 'For Sale' banner and click on 'Advanced Search'. On the next screen, click the arrow on the 'Choose a city/county' and in the dropdown list, scroll down below the numbered Dublin postal districts and select 'South County Dublin', leave the second field 'Choose a locality' set to 'Any Location', then set your budget limits, min and max bedrooms and then click 'Search'. You can refine the search to narrow it down to either a set of locations or a more restrictive budget.

If you see a place you like, go to maps.google.com and do a reccie of the area using Streetview looking for burnt out cars, boarded up shops and other signs of decay and/or lawlessness.

my guess is he's looking to rent, not buy, so same as above but click on "for rent".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

At the end of the day it's likely that price will be the determining factor.
    Are you renting or buying?
    How many bedrooms will you need?
    Will you need to be on a Luas/Dart or good bus route or will you be driving/cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

At the end of the day it's likely that price will be the determining factor.
    Are you renting or buying?
    How many bedrooms will you need?
    Will you need to be on a Luas/Dart or good bus route or will you be driving/cycling?

renting. at least 2 rooms. Will prefer public transport lines.

I looked into daft to find something in my price range (1k per month) and there is absolutely nothing..

Back to the north side or maybe wicklow.

The original question may have been too vague but my intention was primarily to find out where to avoid. Mostly in terms of anti-social behaviour and lack of amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

As you've found €1000 is too low to get a two-bed on the southside, to be honest, it could be very tricky to get anywhere on the northside either, though I've just had a look and Ballymun or Swords seem to have a few. Remember to calculate public transport costs into your search as an extra €100 rent might mean more than that in transport savings per month.

Advertisement