Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tweed Showing Jackets - Rental?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

My daughter is doing showing class at Equifestival and RDS this year and we need to get her a tweed showing jacket, getting equipped for these shows is bloody expensive!

Does anyone know if there is anywhere (preferably in Dublin/Wicklow) that rents showing jackets, just considering it as an alternative to buying a jacket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You could buy one second hand. I sold all my daughters various riding jackets on adverts.ie and donedeal.ie. Try Ebay. Put a notice up in any local riding schools, and equestrian shops, advertise in pony club mag. Can you borrow one from a friend? And yes, I agree that all this equipment is so expensive! There was a lady who used to go around to shows with a van, selling 2nd hand riding clothes and tack. WOnder if she is still doing that anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

aonb wrote: »
    You could buy one second hand. I sold all my daughters various riding jackets on adverts.ie and donedeal.ie. Try Ebay. Put a notice up in any local riding schools, and equestrian shops, advertise in pony club mag. Can you borrow one from a friend? And yes, I agree that all this equipment is so expensive! There was a lady who used to go around to shows with a van, selling 2nd hand riding clothes and tack. WOnder if she is still doing that anyone?

Thanks, nothing in her size on adverts or donedeal at the moment, Ebay doesn't to be helping either. Horse & Country which used to be in Enniskerry used to rent jackets, sadly they've closed. We've found some (new) in the UK at an ok'ish price but would much prefer to buy (or rent) in Ireland to support local business, but prices are very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Hi, I'm in Wicklow and your daughter is welcome to borrow mine. If you want to PM me her size then I can check it will fit and she can try it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I bought a really gorgeous riding jacket on Ebay just before Christmas. There were quite a few online, many quite reasonable, so definitely worth a look. You could also ask around the yard, or see if your local pony club has a shop - most seem to have them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

mystika121 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in Wicklow and your daughter is welcome to borrow mine. If you want to PM me her size then I can check it will fit and she can try it on.

Boardsies are sometimes very kind/generous people! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

My tweed jacket cost 35 euro in homestead. Not the fanciest but did the job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Maybe check with your local pony club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Hi just spotted one on adverts in arklow size 10/12

Thanks Tina, too small :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

If your daughter is big into showing, I'd recommend buying one. It's a solid investment and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent one. I still have the same one I bought nearly 8 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Have you tried Homestead??? Unfortunatly my tweed is missing at moment but got one last year in Homestead for RDS reduced from 220 to 90 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

marley123 wrote: »
    Have you tried Homestead??? Unfortunatly my tweed is missing at moment but got one last year in Homestead for RDS reduced from 220 to 90 ..

90 euro is good value op what is your budget

mystika121 wrote: »

Thanks so much for the offer of the loan and for meeting us this week, it was funny to discover that it really is a small world ;)
    Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    If your daughter is big into showing, I'd recommend buying one. It's a solid investment and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent one. I still have the same one I bought nearly 8 years ago!
    marley123 wrote: »

Marley123, I'm not inclined to use that supplier anymore, we recently made the trip to them from Bray, only to discover that items them advertised as being in stock were not in stock. We did previously get a deal on a non-tweed show jacket, completely by accident when we travelled down to buy something, which was again advertised but wasn't in stock.
    monflat wrote: »
    90 euro is good value op what is your budget
    €102 was what we ended up spending, we did find some slightly cheaper in the UK but I'd rather pay the extra few quid and support and Irish company.

We've invested in one from Orchard Equestrian (due to arrive tomorrow) got it for €102.95. As was said by Ah_Yeah, it's an investment.

Advertisement