Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does credit union work?

Options
  • 06-06-2014 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm new to the whole thing with credit union and all, and tried reading up on their homepage on how it actually works.

I'll be setting up a CU account in July, mainly because it seems like a smart way to save if you have a stable economy, as well as I'll be looking for a loan for a car.
    I'll be putting 250 in weekly, and in the end of July I'll be depositing an additional 900e.

I was hoping to buy my car in August, and I'm looking at costs up towards 4-5000e.

With the savings from July, plus August, I'll be at around 3000e in savings with CU.
    I know the branches are all run individually, but having 3000 in CU, lodging 250 a week, is there any likeliness at all of getting a 5000e loan as your first loan, after being with them for only 2 months?
    Anyone with a similar experience?
    I might be better of saving the money with my bank and applying for a 2000e loan instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unlikely. Your first loan will generally be much smaller than your shares, and over time you increase to larger borrowings. They'll generally look for more than 2 months activity also.

As you say, each one is individual but what you're proposing seems like a doubtful proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Why not just keep saving and buy on November when you gave the 5000€

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

niceoneted wrote: »
    Why not just keep saving and buy on November when you gave the 5000€

Starting to get sick of my 2 hour commute to and from work every day (4h in total), and just want the car asap..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Normally its twice your shares on the first loan afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lillen

nc19 wrote: »
    Normally its twice your shares on the first loan afaik

That would mean that 2000 put in to CU could give me a loan of 4000? Theoretically speaking, assuming that they approve a loan after 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

I can't see any reason you should be denied

Advertisement