Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

sideswipe wrote: »
    It rarely is! It's about 33 miles back to Marley from Glendalough so I recon he has about 40 left. He should have the gale on his back for most of the way. Underfoot conditions can't be good, it's milling rain here in Wicklow at the moment and has been for hours.

Was thinking it would be worse alright !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Edit: I hear Don is organising a Full Wicklow Way race, anybody know any details?

He is organising the WW50 which starts in Ironbridge, runs along the WW and finishes at Taylors Grange close to Marlay Park. Its on December 5th.

Details on the Vartry 100 facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The traditional Wicklow Way trail and ultra is on the 26th of March for 2016 for anyone interested, no restrictions on the number of entrants.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was a horrible day by Marlay when I was leaving the house earlier today. Can't imagine it's much better up in the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Fair play to Don. I imagine he might need a cup of tea and a biccy when he gets back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Past Djouce and heading for Powerscourt. Seems to be moving well- will he get back to Marley before they close the gates!
    Can't even imagine the scale of that run...mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Will be nominating this as performance of the year in this years awards.

Past Djouce and heading for Powerscourt. Seems to be moving well- will he get back to Marley before they close the gates!
    Can't even imagine the scale of that run...mental.

May have spoke too soon. Still showing him in the same spot- hopefully just taking a breather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

May have spoke too soon. Still showing him in the same spot- hopefully just taking a breather.

Something wrong with the tracker. After a blip and a bad patch at last stop (mainly due to being soaked) he got going again a few hours ago. He was in curtlestown an hour ago according to FB updates and expected in Marlay around 7pm.

Heard they had to hop the back gate of Marlay as it was locked. Should be just finishing up now...

• Advertisement

Finished up about half an hour ago. Well done Don (posts occasionally here as GrizzlyNorris I believe...)

That would be some achievement anyway but add in the horrendous weather & it gets crazier. Well done - has to be performance of the year endurance wise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

kit3 wrote: »
    That would be some achievement anyway but add in the horrendous weather & it gets crazier. Well done - has to be performance of the year endurance wise ?

Hopefully makes up for his Spartathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Will be nominating this as performance of the year in this years awards.

I'm not an ultra fan normally but that is an epic run by Don. Definitely performance of the year, nobody else comes close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

what do you mean by that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

was he running continuously since 6am yesterday?

Must be a huge medal for finishing that one 😩

PaulieC wrote: »
    was he running continuously since 6am yesterday?

Must be a huge medal for finishing that one 😩

No bling unless he commissions his own trophy (knowing Don, that's unlikely!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

He did Sparathlon this year and didn't go to plan I think, bit of redemption today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Thinly veiled:

I completed the Spartathlon and he didn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thinly veiled:

why are you trying to create drama where none exists?

well done to Don, impressive going
    I did a 5km race yesterday evening in the wind and the rain and it wasn't overly pleasant, I wouldn't have fancied been up mountains in the dark as well in likely worse conditions then I experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cabaal wrote: »
    why are you trying to create drama where none exists?

Meaning can get lost in text when you don't have tone and body language. It did come across a little harsh!

He never said so but I know he was gutted having to drop out at the Spartathlon. Hopefully that run will make up for it.
    Thinly veiled:

How dare you! Don is a very good friend of mine and I was almost as disappointed about him dropping out as he was

He never said so but I know he was gutted having to drop out at the Spartathlon. Hopefully that run will make up for it.

How dare you! Don is a very good friend of mine and I was almost as disappointed about him dropping out as he was

Just shows how things can be taken up wrongly online when, as RQ said, you don't have tone or body language. I suppose if your statement had been accompanied by a 'well done/great achievement etc' it would have come across a bit differently. A lesson for us all !

kit3 wrote: »
    Just shows how things can be taken up wrongly online when, as RQ said, you don't have tone or body language. I suppose if your statement had been accompanied by a 'well done/great achievement etc' it would have come across a bit differently. A lesson for us all !

It felt kind of redundant to explicitly state so because obviously that was a great run! He hasn't posted here in over 2 years so will probably not see it anyway but just for completeness:

WELL DONE DON YOU BEAST!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Would be great if Don could do up some sort of race report/blog of his weekend endeavor's. Am sure lots of people would be interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

He was getting a full change of clothes & a chicken fillet sandwich, was almost hypothermic at this point but recovered well with food and some rest, he's a beast , difficult to watch and fantastic to watch in equal measure. Loves his sport, delighted for him, he earned a great result in crap conditions, gale force winds on boards on way up Djouce on the home leg, crazy & brilliant in equal measure.
    Max respect for Don, 12 days after DCM

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Would be great if Don could do up some sort of race report/blog of his weekend endeavor's. Am sure lots of people would be interested in it.

He will be writing a race report, will be great I reckon

It rarely is! It's about 33 miles back to Marley from Glendalough so I recon he has about 40 left. He should have the gale on his back for most of the way. Underfoot conditions can't be good, it's milling rain here in Wicklow at the moment and has been for hours.

Edit: I hear Don is organising a Full Wicklow Way race, anybody know any details?

There's a 50mile WW race on 5th December, from WW back to finish at Marlay (races normally go the other way), minibus to bring you to start line (leave your car at Marlay), get details on Trailheads or Don Hannon's FB page

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    There's a 50mile WW race on 5th December, from WW back to finish at Marlay (races normally go the other way), minibus to bring you to start line (leave your car at Marlay), get details on Trailheads or Don Hannon's FB page

Cheers Don, might look into the 50 miler. I heard somebody say over the weekend that Don was organising a Full Wicklow Way race next year- maybe they were confusing it with the 50 mile race.

• Advertisement

Cheers Don, might look into the 50 miler. I heard somebody say over the weekend that Don was organising a Full Wicklow Way race next year- maybe they were confusing it with the 50 mile race.

He is organising a 3race series, 3x 50 miles & 3x 100 miles, 2 x trail & 1 x road, proper self sufficient stuff - I'd love to have the legs for them, maybe 2017 for my first 100 miler & 2016 for my first 50 miles :-) give him a shout when he recovers from his run

Advertisement