Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Enduro wrote: »
    I disagree with that. Pretty much anyone can run that distance.

Seriously? You cannot really believe that. I estimate that in my circle of friends/family that the vast majority couldn't even run continuously for 5,000m, never mind the distance from Cork to Dublin.

I really doubt I could do it, despite being a reasonably well trained long distance runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well one thing is for sure- Don has certainly injected life into this thread!

For me everybody is different. To some (Don included) racing against others and setting a good time is important. But there are those (Don also crosses over into this section) that are tempted by the sense of adventure/challenge of doing something nobody else has ever done. Each to their own.

Seriously? You cannot really believe that. I estimate that in my circle of friends/family that the vast majority couldn't even run continuously for 5,000m, never mind the distance from Cork to Dublin.

I really doubt I could do it, despite being a reasonably well trained long distance runner.

Two words- Eddie Izzard ;):D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

I really do believe that. if someone can walk for a few meters, take a break, walk for a bit more, take a break ad infinitum, then they will eventually cover the distance, once you give them the time and support to do so. It's not difficult. We've seen the examples of the massively unfit and overwight lads finishing marathons. Covering the distance just requires time.

Now covering any distance at a good speed is a different matter. That's the reason that likes of the Bob Graham or Wicklow rounds have maximum allowed times to complete the challenge. It's the speed required to cover the distance that is the challenge. Not the distance itself.

Or a more pertinant example.... loads and loads of people walk the full length of the Wicklow Way each year. It's not hard to do at all. Leisure tourists do it. However completing the Wicklow Way race within the 21 hour time limit is not so easy, as that requires the speed and fitness you get from training, hard work etc.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Two words- Eddie Izzard ;):D:P

Ha, yeah. If I remember correctly he had a horrific time and a big background team helping out. Falling through the marathon distance on a daily basis is one thing. Running the distance from Dublin to Cork is quite the other!

• Advertisement

Ha, yeah. If I remember correctly he had a horrific time and a big background team helping out. Falling through the marathon distance on a daily basis is one thing. Running the distance from Dublin to Cork is quite the other!

But you can run the distance from Dublin to Cork by falling through the marathon distance on a daily basis. That's exactly my point. It's not that hard to do.

I really do believe that. if someone can walk for a few meters, take a break, walk for a bit more, take a break ad infinitum, then they will eventually cover the distance, once you give them the time and support to do so. It's not difficult. We've seen the examples of the massively unfit and overwight lads finishing marathons. Covering the distance just requires time.

I know this is going off-topic but I fundamentally disagree with the above. The only small bit I agree is that most will 'eventually cover the distance'. Now, that may take 8 hours for the marathon or 50 minutes for the 5k but eventually most will. I would argue that the an 8 hour marathon is not an achievement for an able bodied person but that's a whole different discussion!

You really can not compare 42k to 250k+. It's like comparing a piece of music to the reliability of a 2007 Volkswagen Passat! Either you are down playing the difficulty of an ultra distance (like the one mentioned) or are seriously overestimating the fitness of the average Irish adult.

But you can run the distance from Dublin to Cork by falling through the marathon distance on a daily basis. That's exactly my point. It's not that hard to do.

Would that not take almost a week? Even the train is faster than that.

I was only being a smartarse in a way but I do believe the only limitations we have are self imposed. Time, effort and dedication go a long way. There are plenty of people on these boards that were exactly like your, and indeed my, circle of family/friends. Now they are doing all kinds of crazy times and distances.

None of that should take anything away from Don's achievement, which was for me was fantastic and deserving of acclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheGreenMile

I disagree with that. Pretty much anyone can run that distance. The difficulty isn't running a distance, its running a distance in a good time. Anyone with the ability to run can run WW, WW out and back, or Dublin - Cork. You just have to give them their required support and allow them to do it at their speed with whatever rests they need along the way. It's not difficult

By your lenghty reply, you must have thought my post was directed at you but it wasnt. But the first sentence of my op explains my view. I never said 'complete, finish, walk or jog the distance', I said RUN the distance.
    I completely agree with you on most of your views. Too many so called legends out there who managed to cross a finish line are now completely amazing. RSP syndrome. This wasnt one of them.
    Dublin runner worded it perfectly: Either you are down playing the difficulty of an ultra distance (like the one mentioned) or are seriously overestimating the fitness of the average Irish adult.
    But by saying its not that difficult can be taken as a positive. Its fuelling the fire for someone to take on the challenge.
    So Enduro? How u fixed? 😉

• Advertisement

I know this is going off-topic but I fundamentally disagree with the above. The only small bit I agree is that most will 'eventually cover the distance'. Now, that may take 8 hours for the marathon or 50 minutes for the 5k but eventually most will. I would argue that the an 8 hour marathon is not an achievement for an able bodied person but that's a whole different discussion!

You really can not compare 42k to 250k+. It's like comparing a piece of music to the reliability of a 2007 Volkswagen Passat! Either you are down playing the difficulty of an ultra distance (like the one mentioned) or are seriously overestimating the fitness of the average Irish adult.

Well, we're in the ultra discussion thread, so we're well on thread topic! Very much so, I'd say :)

You're actually agreeing with me... Most people will eventually cover the distance. It's taking extremes to get the point accross, but that's exactly what I'm saying. Covering the distance is not a problem once you have the time and support to do it.

Now when you argue that covering in 8 hours is not an achievement you're now really starting to get the point I'm trying to make.... It's the time over the distance that determines the level of achievement, not the distance itself. How long that distance happens to be is not really relevant. You've pretty much nailed what I'm trying to point out!

So far this year alone I've run three races way longer than 250k. I think I can compare 42K with 250k with the full benifit of experience, not just theory. There's nothing magical about any particular distance, whether it be 42k or 250k. They are as comparable as 10k to 42k, for example. Anyone who races both distances should be able to make performance comparisons between.

I really don't think I'm downplaying the difficulty of ultra distance. Distance is just distance. You're creating some kind of artificial barrier/limitation there. Fitness isn't a limitation in completing distance, given enough time. Fitness is a limitation on completing any distance in a specific time though.

Can you give me an estimate, to the nearest meter if possible, what the average distance limit of the average Irish adult is? And if not, why not?

..................Can you give me an estimate, to the nearest meter if possible, what the average distance limit of the average Irish adult is? And if not, why not?

Ok, fair enough. I think to argue that anyone can cover any distance is fair enough. It is though a bit of a ridiculous statement. In no way could the average person cover an ultra distance in one continuous run. They could: run 10m, walk 1 mile, stop for lunch, run 10m, walk 1 mile, stay overnight in a hotel and repeat until finished. An extreme example but they would finish. Eventually. So yes, your argument does hold some water!

I have no idea how hard running 250k is. I doubt I ever will. I don't set and limitations on myself but I want to first get my 5k/10k/marathon times as far down as possible before even thinking about such a feat.

The average Irish adult is incredibly unfit. I know as four years ago I was one of the majority. The average fitness is shocking but that's an argument for another day.

But the first sentence of my op explains my view. I never said 'complete, finish, walk or jog the distance', I said RUN the distance.

Ahhh... but that's not necessarily an indicator either. I've been at a 24 hour race where the female winner walked the entire thing (she covered well over 160km). That was very impressive (and a brilliant patient race strategy). Fast walking can beat slow running, especially over longer distances.
    Equally someone, could run 100 meters, take a break, recover, run another 100 meters etc. That would still be running the distance. (As a side point, Don didn't RUN the WW back to back in 37 hours... he's much faster than that. He had to have either (a) walked a few bits or (b) had some rests or (c) most likely of all a bit of both.... as all bar the uber-elites would).

In the end it is the speed over the (full) distance that determines the relative merit of the achievement. Completing the distance is easy. Completing the distance in a good time is not easy, irrespective of the distance.
    I completely agree with you on most of your views. Too many so called legends out there who managed to cross a finish line are now completely amazing. RSP syndrome. This wasnt one of them.
    Dublin runner worded it perfectly: Either you are down playing the difficulty of an ultra distance (like the one mentioned) or are seriously overestimating the fitness of the average Irish adult.

I think you guys are seriously hugely overestimating the difficulty of covering distances! All it takes is time.
    But by saying its not that difficult can be taken as a positive. Its fuelling the fire for someone to take on the challenge.
    So Enduro? How u fixed? 😉

:)

Spot on that its a positive. Anyone can take on the challenge. You guys are seriously overestimating the difficult (because there is very little) in simply covering distance... any distance.

Me...the only thing fueling my fire here would be to prove the point by going out and running WW-B2B as a weekend training run. 2 things stop me from doing that. (1) Respect for Don. He's been targetting this for a while. (2) It's not a record I have any real interest in. But even to do it as a training run would have a large effect on my ability to train for my next upcoming "A" race (which is The Spine... not too far away now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Me...the only thing fueling my fire here would be to prove the point by going out and running WW-B2B as a weekend training run. 2 things stop me from doing that. (1) Respect for Don. He's been targetting this for a while. (2) It's not a record I have any real interest in. But even to do it as a training run would have a large effect on my ability to train for my next upcoming "A" race (which is The Spine... not too far away now).

As a matter of interest what time do you think you could do the WW-B2B in(not a training run)?

It is though a bit of a ridiculous statement. In no way could the average person cover an ultra distance in one continuous run. They could: run 10m, walk 1 mile, stop for lunch, run 10m, walk 1 mile, stay overnight in a hotel and repeat until finished. An extreme example but they would finish. Eventually. So yes, your argument does hold some water!

It's not ridiculous (because its true), but its absolutely taking the arguement out to the extreme edges.

Now covering longer ultra distances in one continuous run is either unlikely or impossible. But then a lot of reasonably fast marathon runs might make the odd stop here and there too. ****e happens, all too literally in some cases! (like my own marathon PB run). Even the best ultrarunners stop for sleeps, walk to eat/drink, stop for toilet breaks etc once the distances get long enough. Managing all that is very much part of the game. Some of the best ultrarunners in Ireland go into 24 hour races with a planned run-walk strategy.
    I have no idea how hard running 250k is. I doubt I ever will. I don't set and limitations on myself but I want to first get my 5k/10k/marathon times as far down as possible before even thinking about such a feat.

Don't look at running longer distances as a feat. There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't run (or race) 250k+ events. The main requirement desire/will power. One of the hardest runs I've ever done was the last Ballycotton 10 mile I raced. Difficulty isn't about distance, its about speed over distance. That's where the real feat is.
    The average Irish adult is incredibly unfit. The average fitness is shocking but that's an argument for another day.

Oh absolutely! Most of us have been there!

pistol_75 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what time do you think you could do the WW-B2B in(not a training run)?

I'm reluctant to answer that because of the same reasons that I outlined for not going out and doing it. I'd be very unlikely to give it the same focus and attention that racing the WW got from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm reluctant to answer that because of the same reasons that I outlined for not going out and doing it. I'd be very unlikely to give it the same focus and attention that racing the WW got from me.

No problem and there was no hidden agenda in my question. Just an interest as what you would think is attainable.

"I think you guys are seriously hugely overestimating the difficulty of covering distances! All it takes is time."

:)

Again, I never mentioned the word 'covering' distances. I used the words run. Im not 'seriously hugely overestimating' the difficulty of covering distances, I do have some ultra experience to generate an opinion on this feat by Don. This debate is not about covering distances,we all agree on distance alone not been an achievement, its about a few people on here believing Don completed something worthy of a 'hat tip' and then your opinion that on this occasion the 37hrs doesnt merit 'the tippeth of ur hat'. Thats fine. But i still think ur wrong :)

Like u mentioned, Ultras dont always go as planned, and u cant decide to try again a week later, for example Don in Turin had a great run, was it amazing? No, but it could have been worse.So with this in mind, and other factors like the desparate weather, the hills and been on his toblerone, i defintly dont think it wasn't worth a mention. As a nation, I believe we are progressing in the sport. This personal challenge can only be positive step forward. We get no guidance and very few get support from our national association, so were left to help one another.
    If anything it gave me the motivation to get off me hole when i debated to go for a run in last Sundays crappy weather.

your opinion that on this occasion the 37hrs doesnt merit 'the tippeth of ur hat'. Thats fine. But i still think ur wrong :)

Not true... it was a very good run indeed, absolutely. I did say that very few people in Ireland would be able to match it. But I don't think that (1) it was Don's best run this year (2) it was Don's best run over the WW (3) It was significantly difficult in and of itself (4) and obviously enough following on from that that it was performance of the year (5) that the weather was that desperate.

It all started from someone asking about the relative merit of the performance. I'm just giving an honest and objective answer to my best ability. That doesn't mean I don't applaud the effort.
    Like u mentioned, Ultras dont always go as planned, and u cant decide to try again a week later, for example Don in Turin had a great run, was it amazing? No, but it could have been worse.So with this in mind, and other factors like the desparate weather, the hills and been on his toblerone, i defintly dont think it wasn't worth a mention. As a nation, I believe we are progressing in the sport. This personal challenge can only be positive step forward. We get no guidance and very few get support from our national association, so were left to help one another.
    If anything it gave me the motivation to get off me hole when i debated to go for a run in last Sundays crappy weather.

Again, it was absolutely worth a mention. If no one else had done it I'd have done it myself. And I'm with you on the motivation front. Nothing worse than starting out in the feckin rain for me.

Yeah, we're progressing on most fronts alright, particularly in terms of participation numbers (which brilliant). Less so at the top end unfortunately (Where have all the 100km runners gone?!). But part of progressing surely is to be able to honestly and objectively analyse the merit of performances (easy enough for flat ultras but more difficult for trail).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Hemerodrome

If no one else had done it I'd have done it myself.

Why would have done something you described as "pointless" when someone else did it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why would have done something you described as "pointless" when someone else did it?

I think he means that if someone else hadn't mentioned it, he would have mentioned it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote:
    "I think you guys are seriously hugely overestimating the difficulty of covering distances! All it takes is time."

I think Enduro keeps forgetting that the rest of us are mere mortals :). Ok, running 250k over a whole week would not be particularly hard and is indeed something anyone can accomplish but doing it in one go is pretty damn bloody hard. It's not that long ago that I covered a similar distance and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. 2:55 marathons are a piece of cake in comparison.
    Like u mentioned, Ultras dont always go as planned, and u cant decide to try again a week later, for example Don in Turin had a great run,

Actually I think Don would be the first one to point out that his race in Turin was not a great run. He expected to do a lot better!

That leads me straight to my next point, however. Don seemed to have problems in very long races. Belfast last year, Turin and Spartathlon this year, by his own standards he underperformed in all of them. I think that the best thing he got out of the WW double was that it confirmed that he can indeed last that time and distance.

I think Enduro keeps forgetting that the rest of us are mere mortals :).

Hah! I was just talking to someone about you yesterday and mere mortality didn't come into it :) I think you can take yourself out of the "rest of us" group. There was only one total standout good performance from the broad Irish and Irish based (including traitorous defectors :)) group racing in Turin, and he was wearing an Austrian singlet!! Everyone else underperformed in someway.
    Actually I think Don would be the first one to point out that his race in Turin was not a great run. He expected to do a lot better!

For sure! I would hazard a guess the he probably thinks that he could do better on WW-B2B as well. I would guess he ran it to ensure he finished it, as opposed to red-lining it to attempt his fastest possible time (Which I would say would be the correct tactics, as it happens).
    That leads me straight to my next point, however. Don seemed to have problems in very long races. Belfast last year, Turin and Spartathlon this year, by his own standards he underperformed in all of them. I think that the best thing he got out of the WW double was that it confirmed that he can indeed last that time and distance.

Agreed, by his own standards (i.e. one of the top ultra runners in Ireland). Although his Belfast run was very good this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I dare say, Don, if he is lurking here is embarrassed by the can of worms I inadvertently opened.Whatever about the merits or demerits of his run, he did what he did without fanfare or attention seeking. There is something very admirable about someone who can make to their own decision on what's important to them and not require or ask for back slapping.I'm sure also that he is well able to evaluate and rate his own performances, which are personal. My question originally was out of genuine interest because I'm always intrigued by feats that I believe I would find difficult or impossible. There is an opinion that top class marathon runners would obliterate the ultra record books, if motivation thinly disguised as money, was there but I don't think that's true. I think up to 100k some improvement would be made because they are really just extended marathons that require much the same training and approach. In real Ultras, over trail and/or day of multi day duration, it's almost a different sport and requires a whole different set of tools to get the job done many of which are psycological.This post is not in any way a dig at anyone else, just my own opinions on some limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I dare say, Don, if he is lurking here is embarrassed by the can of worms I inadvertently opened.Whatever about the merits or demerits of his run, he did what he did without fanfare or attention seeking. There is something very admirable about someone who can make to their own decision on what's important to them and not require or ask for back slapping.I'm sure also that he is well able to evaluate and rate his own performances, which are personal. My question originally was out of genuine interest because I'm always intrigued by feats that I believe I would find difficult or impossible. There is an opinion that top class marathon runners would obliterate the ultra record books, if motivation thinly disguised as money, was there but I don't think that's true. I think up to 100k some improvement would be made because they are really just extended marathons that require much the same training and approach. In real Ultras, over trail and/or day of multi day duration, it's almost a different sport and requires a whole different set of tools to get the job done many of which are psycological.This post is not in any way a dig at anyone else, just my own opinions on some limited experience.

Yeah, couldn't agree more with the highlighted bit. Not sure any of us have the right to comment on the guy's performance really. It's not his log and he didn't ask for feedback or anything. I know most of the comments are in good faith but like I say, I'm not sure this is the place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, couldn't agree more with the highlighted bit. Not sure any of us have the right to comment on the guy's performance really. It's not his log and he didn't ask for feedback or anything. I know most of the comments are in good faith but like I say, I'm not sure this is the place for them.

It's the ultra thread and someone (one of the top ultra runners) has set a FKT on one of the most popular trail routes in the country.

It's as good as any place to discuss it.

It'd be a crap thread if we ignored FKT/race performances as they didn't have a boards log.

There is an opinion that top class marathon runners would obliterate the ultra record books, if motivation thinly disguised as money, was there but I don't think that's true.

I usually find the opinion is formulated as a lazy assumption derived from a complete and utter lack of knowledge. It's quite bizarre. As I outlined a page or two back, it's highly unlikely that the best marathon runners would be the best ultra runners (Due to the general likelihood that if some is the best at distance X they are unlikely to be the best at 250% of X etc. There's quite a few examples of very good marathon runners getting whacked when they step up to 100km+ (My favourite example being when Dan Doherty won the ACP 100K for Ireland, beating 2 or 3 sub 2:20 English marathoners in the process :))
    I think up to 100k some improvement would be made because they are really just extended marathons that require much the same training and approach. In real Ultras, over trail and/or day of multi day duration, it's almost a different sport and requires a whole different set of tools to get the job done many of which are psycological.This post is not in any way a dig at anyone else, just my own opinions on some limited experience.

I agree with that in general. I call it speed ultras verus endurance ultras. Yannis Kouros also thinks along similar lines as regards to going beyond 100km IIRC. I don't think Yannis regards 100km as real ultra running :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »

There were plenty of pictures, updates and other posts about his run on facebook (one from himself, most from his supporters), so any complaints about this being discussed on a different social media site would quite frankly be ridiculous.

Knowing Don (admittedly, I don't know him THAT well), I'd say he doesn't particularly care if others discuss his run or not and I'm sure he isn't embarrassed about it.

There were plenty of pictures, updates and other posts about his run on facebook (one from himself, most from his supporters), so any complaints about this being discussed on a different social media site would quite frankly be ridiculous.

Knowing Don (admittedly, I don't know him THAT well), I'd say he doesn't particularly care if others discuss his run or not and I'm sure he isn't embarrassed about it.

I agree completely. Ultra runners are not a sensitve bunch.
    Thats what 10k's are for ;)
    The use of the real time tracker with a link on FB was a way of allowing any intereted to follow his adventure.

• Advertisement

There was only one total standout good performance from the broad Irish and Irish based (including traitorous defectors :)) group racing in Turin, and he was wearing an Austrian singlet!! Everyone else underperformed in someway.

Ahem !! Ruthann ??

Advertisement